LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63638

Module 6/Task 3:

1) Watch the following video.

The benefits of bilingualism and the brain differences (about 4 minutes)

2) Take solid notes and pay attention to detail.
    3) Write a 4-6 lines MAXIMUM (do not exceed this) on the following topic:
    Find one aspect of this video that you can question: how relevant is it? is there sufficient data? can you find some other data online?

Post your response on this thread.

#63680

KevinMZ

Compound Bilingual is a person who develops two linguistic codes simultaneously while gaining knowledge as time pass from learning two languages. It is very relevant to me as I grew up learning English and Spanish, while using what I learned in conversations. I would also translate words and sentences from English to Spanish to help with communication. There is sufficient data for compound bilingual, as lots of children grow up learning a second language.

#63682

lilian E

HI LILIAN, THIS IS A GOOD FIND. THE RESEARCH ON BILINGUALISM IS GROWING! A LOT HAS BEEN DONE. BUT THE KEY ISSUE IS CONDITIONING OF THE SPEAKER. MORE ON THAT LATER.

Bilingualism doesn’t make you smarter, it does make your brain more healthy,happy,complex and actively engaging. A little exercise goes a long way. I never taught being bilingual make anyone smarter. How relevant is this ? Outside Source Wall Street journal article by Susan Pinker says does bilingualism make you smarter? Is a question up for debate but is Also said that bilingualism make a child speech delay, and culturally confusing. More evidence and research need to be done to prove this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-bilingualism-make-you-smarter-11590080303

#63683

Jada

There is something called the critical period hypothesis (CPH) where it is believed that children learn languages more easily because their brains can allow the use of both hemispheres for language. This is relevant because as seen in the textbook, people who learn a language at a younger age are more likely to speak it more fluently than those who learn it in their teen years or adulthood. There is sufficient data because there have been studies done to prove this hypothesis. This article from the Oxford Academic ELT Journal says that there is an optimal period for people to learn a language which is during the CPH.

https://academic.oup.com/eltj/article/63/2/170/441108

#63685

Laura Ramirez

Knowing more than one language means that your brain looks and function different than from the rest monolingual people. An aspect that I found very interesting was that according to the video a person who is bilingual or multilingual, has higher density of the grey matter which contains the majority of the brain neurons and synapses. This is the very first time I heard about this, and it makes me wonder if there is significant evidence. I did some research, and according to a Neuroscience of Multilingualism studies have shown that density in this region increases with second language proficiency and is negatively correlated with age of acquisition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_multilingualism

#63696

Astrid Marroquin

The idea of being bilingual is helpful in many ways and healthy for the brain. In the video it states that it is beneficial to the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, which is a part of your brain that is used for problem solving, task taking and focusing with distractions around you. The main point this video made was that a bilinguals brain looks and thinks different from a monolingual, the link below is an article that conveys this idea of bilingualism being healthy for the brain and compares on how people see learning how to play an instrument is as helpful with learning and comprehending as being bilingual.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/bilingual-effects-brain

#63697

Shabon

It was stated in the video that being bilingual can help delay diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia. This is a very relevant finding as it gives people that are already predisposed to these diseases a way of delaying potential onset. Researchers from the University of Ghent in Belgium recently published a study that added to the growing evidence that bilingualism can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s. The average age of an Alzheimer’s diagnosis for monolingual participants was 73 years but for those who were bilingual, it was 77 years.

https://www.alzheimers.net/12-11-14-bilingualism-delays-alzheimers/

#63699

Eli

One aspect of this video that I can question would be the theory of critical period hypothesis, the idea that children are able to learn language more easily because the because the plasticity of their developing brains lets them use both hemispheres in language acquisition while in most adults language is lateralized to one hemisphere which is the left. There is a lot of data on this as learning a second language as a child gives a more holistic grasp of social and emotional context meanwhile adults exhibit less emotional bias.

Do Kids Learn Languages Easier than Adults?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Eli.
    #63715

NANA DEI SAKYI

The video stated that, learning a second language in adulthood shows less emotional bias and a more rational approach to situations. I wondered of that is true and how about bilingual children? Being rational in adulthood means engaging more of the lateral prefrontal cortex which is developed by age 24. The lateral prefrontal cortex in involved in executive functioning, and once it develops by age 24, its not surprising that a person may become more rational and less emotionally biased. I am wondering how being less biased emotionally and more rational is related to being bilingual in adulthood. I searched and most of the information about bilingual and rationalism or being emotional biases are more geared towards losses and gains which was also interesting information to me. Also, monolingual and bilingual children have not significant differences in their emotional regulation but only in the executive functioning.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6120977/
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191030110013.htm
    https://sites.google.com/site/morebenefitsofbilingualism/home/module-2–decision-making-is-enhanced-on-bilingual-people

#63717

sashalee

One aspect of this video that they was talking about how speaking a second language can be good for your brain, which i think is very true. They also that a person who speaks to language brain looks different from one who only speak one language. This would be the first time knowing about this so i did some research and this is what i found out which is the same think that they was saying in the video. Learning a second language offers proven benefits for intelligence, memory, and concentration and lowered risks of dementia and Alzheimer’.Because language is complex, speaking or learning a foreign language gives your brain a good workout. It’s good brain exercise that makes the brain stronger.
    http://www.extraclass.it/2017/01/07/the-brain-benefits-of-learning-a-second-language/

#63720

HELLO STUDENTS,
    For this thread, I decided to write a post, so to address the issues you raised in one post. Bilingualism has been studies by scientists and there is little doubt that is has positive effects on the brain. There are two strands of discussion: one is acquiring a second or third language as a child, mostly in the family. Some language delay is normal because the brain is overwhelmed and has attend to two sets of stimuli and data instead of one, right? So that is a normal process. Languages get to be evened out later. The second part is learning a language later on in life, so in a more controlled environment, such as school. That type of language acquisition is clearly different from what is called ‘natural language acquisition’ at home or from birth.

Another point about the bilingual brain is to consider: the brain exercise. The amount of workout just to memorize words and new structures is substantive!

Finally, I’d like to turn to the question of “to what extent” are you bilingual. There is a bilingual continuum and many people are at the various stages of this continuum. One can have ‘communicative competence’ in a specific dialect, but cannot read and write in that language.’ Some people can only speak about ‘daily issues’ but cannot really discuss more challenging topics in their second language. And then, there are the so-called ‘perfect bilinguals’ or people who can read, write, speak, listen and use language in multiple communicative situations, and have reached the so-called ‘threshold’ of bilingualism, which is higher education.
    This would be a highly theoretical definition, clearly, but data show that very few world bilinguals fall into this category. So, on a daily basis, people who have mastered the underlying structure of a language can be called bilingual.

#63730

jancelee

I found the critical Period Hypothesis very interesting. This hypothesis states that children learn easily because of the plasticity of their brain, being that they can use both hemispheres of the brain rather than adults language is materialized to one hemisphere, the left. I am questioning the Hyden work out of the brain that can help delay Alzheimer’s and dementia for as much as five years. Very interesting to understand that a brain that knows more than one language looks different than a brain that knows multiple languages. the fact that learning multiple languages is also healthier for the brain is very interesting.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319642#From-bilingual-to-polyglot
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-language-shapes-the-brain/

#63751

Chanell Perez

I focused my attention more toward the benefits of being bilingual. One of the most relevant benefits mentioned in the video is the delay of the development of Dementia and Alzheimer. Being bilingual or multilingual, requires the brain to constantly be active and multitasking as the individual tends to switch from one language to the other multiple times. This is basically like a workout routine for your brain, which causes a physical modification of the brain (like toning your body) and it maintains the brain healthy, allowing it to be more effective when it comes to problem-solving, learning abilities, more rational decision making, and a better developed executive control in the brain. I found this link that details 8 cognitive benefits of being bilingual and/or multilingual.

The Cognitive Benefits of Being Multilingual

#63838

Jess

There are many different types of bilingualism, children learn languages more easily because of their brains elasticity. Being bilingual means you have higher density of your brains grey matter. I found it interesting that being bilingual means you actually have a healthier brain. Being bilingual, it turns out, makes you smarter. It can have a profound effect on your brain, improving cognitive skills not related to language and even shielding against dementia in old age. I found this article explaining why.

#63841

Hi everyone,

I have read all of your posts and have saved into a new document the links you provided. Good choices, and informative pieces. It looks like people enjoyed looking things up and presenting the topics.

Good work everyone! I

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)