LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

• Author
    Posts
  • #63640

Hello students!

Today’s topic is bilingualism. Many of you are bilingual, so this promises to be an insightful contribution to your expertise. Yes, you are already experts in this topic!

Most of the time, we look at bilingualism from the social perspective, and we try to see how it is perceived in the country where most people are monolingual. We examine how the societal dominant view governs the reactions or the common cultural themes.

Again, we look at the link between the language and the society. In many countries of the world, speaking 2, 3, or 4 or more languages is the norm. People speak multiple dialects and on top of that, they speak another foreign language.

For most Americans, this is not the reality. Most are monolingual and most never learn a foreign language beyond the basics. So, as bilingual speakers, you and me all have a lot to contribute.

Watch the video and post any reactions you may have.

#63650

Eli

HI ELI, GREAT SELECTION OF THE RELEVANT QUOTE. SOMETIMES WE CAN STICK TO DEFINITIONS. OTHER TIMES, WE CAN INTERPRET THEM BASED ON OUR LIFE EXPERIENCE.

My reaction to this video is me questioning if I am actually bilingual, however I am capable of speaking both English and Spanish fluently. I seem to find it interesting that most of the people in the video are confused about it even though they speak more than 1 language, then again I understand the being fluent in the language part, some people explain that they express themselves better in one language more than the other. something that I wanted to point out was that someone said “it comes down to whether or not you think of bilingualism as being the ability toucan as native or fluidly communicate your ideas”

#63667

Jada

HI JADA, I IS TRUE THAT IN THEORY, A BILINGUAL PERSON HAS DEVELOPED THE UNDERLYING STRUCTURE OF TWO LANGUAGES. I GUESS THE VIDEO SHOWS THAT PEOPLE USE THE WORD BUT THEY ARE NOT REALLY SURE WHAT IT IS.

In the beginning, I was confused as to why the people didn’t know if they were bilingual or not. To me, it means you can fluently speak two or more languages which most of them said they were able to do. Someone in the video said you can pretend to be bilingual if you have a good accent but I disagree with that because that is just the ability to change the tone and range of your voice. Just because you can do a certain accent doesn’t mean you can speak the language. That falls into dialects, so if you can speak with a southern accent, a ‘Californian’ accent, or a country accent that doesn’t mean you are bilingual.

#63678

KevinMZ

HI KEVIN,

YES,IN YOUR CASE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU REALLY ARE BILINGUAL.

I always felt I am bilingual, because of my fluency in both the English and Spanish languages. Not only am I able to speak both languages simultaneously, I am able to translate from English to Spanish or vice versa in my personal and professional life. I can speak a few Japanese words and sentences, but I do not use the language for conversations because I have much to learn about the language.

#63679

Shabon

HI SHABON, DEFINITELY IF ONE CAN COMMUNICATE FLUENTLY IN ALL DIFFERENT LIFE SITUATIONS THEN, THERE IS BILINGUAL ABILITY THERE. BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN LEARN JUST DAILY DISCOURSE OR BASIC INTERACTION. IT DOES NOT MAKE THEM BILINGUAL.

I don’t think being bi-lingual has anything to do with where you were born or your accent quite frankly. I agree with the young man in the video that said, his idea of being bi-lingual is the ability to fluidly communicate your ideas (in two languages).

#63684

Laura Ramirez

HI LAURA, I WOULD SAY THAT MANY WERE PEOPLE WITH ABILITY TO SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE TO A PONT. USUALLY, A BILINGUAL PERSON HAS MASTERED THE UNDERLYING STRUCTURE OF TWO LANGUAGES.

First of all, I found the title of the video interesting: “Babel Voices” because it reminded me of the Bable tower, where according to the bible GOD imposed different languages to people in earth. As far as for the video, it made me a little confused when the speakers were questioning themselves about the idea of whether they we were bilingual, but i realized that many of them were actually multilingual.

#63694

Astrid Marroquin

HI! YES, GOOD POINT. THERE ARE LEVELS OF BILINGUALISM, AND THERE ARE PERFECT BILINGUALS. THAT IS A VERY DIFFICULT STATE BECAUSE A PERSON NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO USE TWO LANGUAGES EQUALLY IN ALL SITUATIONS INCLUDING HIGHER EDUCATION: BEING ABLE TO READ AND WRITE AT COLLEGE LEVEL! LANGUAGE INCLUDES THE EDUCATION OF IT ALSO.

I agree with the girl that said ” I can express myself sometimes even better in English than in French.” I have the same experience sometimes but with Spanish instead of French, sometimes it’s easier for me to express myself in a certain way in Spanish than in English or a certain word or phrase is easier in English than Spanish. Also the idea of even though you have an accent it doesn’t mean you aren’t fluent in a language, I agree with that hundred percent.

#63712

jancelee

YES, YOU ARE RIGHT WHEN YOU SAID THAT THEY CAN USE BOTH LANGUAGES WITH COMPETENCE AND SKILL. ACCENT IS NOT PART OF IT.

This video confused me a little with people who didn’t think they were bilingual. I don’t think an accent makes you bilingual. Many people in this video are fluent in several languages and from my understanding, that’s what bilingual is. I don’t think bilingual is knowing a couple of words but speaking two or more languages fluently. It’s interesting because on job interviews or job posting the employer will ask if you are bilingual. if a person is fluent in more than one language I believe that yes that person is bilingual but if the person just knows a couple of words in another language that is not their mother language then I wouldn’t consider them bilingual. I could be wrong.

#63716

NANA DEI SAKYI

NANA, YOUR DEFINITION IS RIGHT ON: IT IS USAGE AND COMMUNICATIVE COMPETENCE THAT MAKE YOU BILINGUAL.

Watching the video, I began to question what it actually meant to be bilingual. Is it a matter of accent, nationality or originality or it is just a matter of fluency. The man in the video said something about being able to communicate your ideas in a language and that is what I think being bilingual is about. While we may not be able to know all the phrases and concepts in a language, I believe the basic role of language is communication your ideas or being able to hold a conversation. Once you are able to do that in your native language and in your learned language, you pass as a bilingual. The accent does not really matter. I think all of them pass as bilinguals.

#63718

sashalee

YES, SASHALEE! WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS: THERE ARE MANY LEVELS OF BILINGUALISM! THERE IS A SCALE, BUT THE KEY IS: YOU MUST HAVE THE UNDERLYING STRUCTURE OF THE LANGUAGE DOWN, AND USE IT COMFORTABLY. YOU WON’T KNOW ALL THE WORDS.

Watching this video, i was shock when these people didn’t know if they are bilingual. i was like you all are bilingual because you speak several different languages. I feel like the reason they feel like the reason they don’t think they are not bilingual because they might not use it a lot or they have left their native language yet. But I’m like they all are bilingual for so i don’t understand why they think they are not.

#63748

Chanell Perez

This video really changed my perspective about being bilingual. I considered myself to be bilingual but if you think deeply about the concept of being bilingual, it takes a lot of dominance of a language to call someone bilingual. One of the girls mentioned that someone bilingual has to grow up speaking both or multiples languages, in her case, she learned a new language during her adulthood which is my case. In addition, another girl mentioned that if you go to a supermarket and you’re able to find all you need by its name without using your translator, then you can consider yourself capable enough in that second language. Even today, I went to the Dollar Tree to buy some items for my plants and I had to use google translator as many of the things I needed are not in my daily vocabulary.

#63750

Jess

HI JESS! THE ACCENT ISSUE IS DEFINITELY INTERESTING, BUT I DON’T AGREE WITH THAT IDEA. YOU CAN BE BILINGUAL AND HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF THE LANGUAGE AND STILL HAVE AN ACCENT. IT DOESN’T MATTER!

I never thought bilingual could have so many meanings. I only know a few words in Italian and Spanish so I have never considered myself to be bilingual because I was never fluid in any language except English. To me bilingual means that you can carry a conversation and communicate effectively when speaking and maybe even being able to write it… I never thought of having an accent means you’re bilingual I found it interesting when someone said that.

#63840

HELLO STUDENTS!
    Thank you for interesting comments. This video was used as a vehicle to get you thinking about Bilingualism: what is it? Do I know what it is? Is my notion the right one? Do other people understand it the same way I do?

It is just a fun activity. You did well.

Lilian and Rukshat, please respond.
    Prof. A

#63939

lilian E

bilingualism to me is speaking 2 language fluently or interchangeably. i consider myself bilingual within my culture. I, read write and speak it fluently. he Spanish language eon the other hand was forced on me because i am from Belize. We border mexico to the North, Guatemala to the west and Honduras to the South. so we have a lot of Spanish influence so therefore I am bilingual in English and Spanish.
    the country language is English since its the only English speaking country in Central America. according to the country. English Is my first language then Spanish. but in my culture, Garifuna is my first language because that is what we speak at home followed by Spanish then English is what i was taught in school. either way I speak all language interchangeably in conversation. and read ans write then correctly in school.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)