LIB1201, FALL 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Nandi Prince
    Participant

Please post one quote from your articles and explain its usefulness to your research paper.

Nikka
    Participant

“The artwork, conceived by Diemut Strebe, an artist-in-residence at the MIT Center for Art, Science, and Technology, in collaboration with Brian Wardle, professor of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT, and his group, and MIT Center for Art, Science, and Technology artist-in-residence Diemut Strebe, features a 16.78-carat natural yellow diamond from LJ West Diamonds, estimated to be worth $2 million, which the team coated with the new, ultrablack CNT material.”

Chu, J. (2019, September 12). MIT engineers develop “blackest black” material to date. Retrieved December 8, 2019, from MIT News website: http://news.mit.edu/2019/blackest-black-material-cnt-0913

This was extremely important for my paper because the new MIT collaboration served as a contrast to the controversy that was the main topic of my paper, that is, Anish Kapoor’s exclusive deal with Surry Nanosystems. It proved that such high-profile exclusive deals did not produce positive media and will likely not be pursued by future super-black developers.

Navdeep Kaur
    Participant

The quote I chose was ”…during adolescence that youth navigate changes in their identity …the transition to adolescence is also known to be a vulnerable period with respect to several domains. Adolescence is often characterized by declines in girls’ self-esteem, especially body esteem..” This quote was useful because my essay was about censorship and why the “Thérèse Dreaming” by Balthus should be taken down. One of the main reasons was that the painting sent the wrong messages to young girls and the painting supports the sexualization of women. This quote explains how the girls are in a very important stage in their life and, how things like this painting can cause them to have long term issues. When the young girls see the painting they are left feeling confused because they don’t know if that’s how they are supposed to dress like/ act like or not –which will affect them even more. In this case is that it can affect their self esteem and studies have shown that when teenagers have low confidence , they stay unconfident until they are an adult.
    Citation-
    Mckenney, S. J., & Bigler, R. S. (2014). Internalized Sexualization and Its Relation to Sexualized Appearance, Body Surveillance, and Body Shame Among Early Adolescent Girls. The Journal of Early Adolescence, 36(2), 171–197. doi: 10.1177/0272431614556889.

Henry Chang
    Participant

“The process of abstracting artworks from physical machines also abstracts them
    from the traditional commodity culture. In a world where original and authentic are
    traditionally the demarcations of value, the art community is only beginning to redress
    the concept of value to accommodate assets that are reproducible, diffused, and
    unstable.”

Almeida, N. noralisaalmeida@gmail. co. (2012). Dismantling the Monolith: Post-Media Art and the Culture of Instability. Art Documentation: Bulletin of the Art Libraries Society of North America, 31(1), 2–11. https://doi-org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/10.1086/664932

The usefulness of this quote comes down to its multiple arguments and points. The action of manipulating digital mediums is changing the art world. The perception of what is valid in traditional art is challenged by easily shareable digital mediums. The commercial aspect of art finds difficulty in valuing digital due to it changing quickly. This explains the split between physical and digital mediums because the perception of digital mediums must be treated differently in terms of value and handling, and is becoming a challenge for places like museums that are assumed to hold standards.

Dylan
    Participant

“This is just going to be another layer for us to process,” “Another layer of what it was like to be black in the Jim Crow South covering this case.”

The usefulness of this quote that I choose is because it explains the problems that black African American men and women have to go through about sixty years ago. Also it was great to connect to my research paper because a black man was wearing a T-shirt with the words “Black Death Spectacle” that was handwritten on it’s back when standing in front of the artwork created by Dana Schutz the “Open Casket” in the museum. It shows that the black man is going through this process that still today that they have no respect for the black culture when putting up another person child in a artwork in the museum of a iconic moment that had happened to him.

Lewis, R. (2013, March 31). Old Newspapers Shed New Light On Emmett Till Murder. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2013/03/31/175808536/archival-find-could-shed-new-light-on-emmett-till-murder.

Danielley
    Participant

“In order to emphasize the importance of this motif and to serve as a cultural parallel … Later, one of the conference organizers told me that it was only the “image of the naked woman on the cross” and not any of Romero’s images that she described as “blasphemous” and “culturally inappropriate”

Chynoweth, A. (2014). Women Crucified for the Sins of the Fathers: Censorship and the Crucifixion Motif in the Art of Rachael Romero. Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion, 30(1), 167-184.

My topic is the censorship in art and photography, through the years of art and photography there has been two sides to these issues. On one side there are people that believe that there is no harm of these images and are only expressions and nothing wrong with them. But on the other hand, there are people that believe that these images exploit these people and t6 _9nshouldn’t be shown in exhibits and museums. There’s the thought of forcing censorship upon artist that will make people believe that artist will then lose the creative aspect to their works and then it seems like there rules that must be followed. When censorship is brought upon when question how much power is being held, and what this truly means to art.

Qian Wang
    Participant

“would not be made into a spectacle nor be a symbol for black fear and white supremacy.”

This article on the magazine was talking about the overall arguments about Schutz’s painting open casket. It pointed out that the protest and other artists was fighting with this painting that black suffering is not a material that white artists can just use to make a profit. This article also pointed out Till’s mother’s thought that her son’s body “would not be made into a spectacle nor be a symbol for black fear and white supremacy.” Till’s mother did not want to spread her son’s death body around but to aware black people. The way to spread the death body around is an insult of memory.
    I used this article as a source because it has a great amount of facts to point out that the white artist’s painting of Till’s mutilated face was a lethal effect which did not show a rigorous sensibility. Even in Schutz’s statements and she did not show any understanding about Till’s family’s feelings and igonzed the history of the murder event. These critical points can support my topic very well.

Gyarkye, J. L. (2017, Mar. 22). The Case Against Dana Schutz . Retrieved from THE NEW REPUBLIC: https://newrepublic.com/article/141506/case-dana-schutz

Dean Ramadan
    Participant

“As a designer his goal was to design a piece of artwork that would significantly increase the likelihood of Obama winning both the Democratic nomination and the general election.”

This article is a great source for my paper because it entails Sheperd Fairey’s motivations to fair use the photograph taken by Mannie Garcia from the Associated Press. Fairey’s intention was to support his favored presidential candidate. The quote I pulled from the source shows that Copyright Laws can hinder an artist’s goals that are meant for political propaganda. This quote also displays to my readers the difference between being accused of copyright infringement when the work that was recreated earns profit, and being accused while using the artwork for non profit purposes. This article was perfect when it came to defending to my point that copyright laws can target an artist’s creative goals that fulfill their political desires.

Scott, M. (2017, November 6). Obama Hope Poster – Sheperd Fairey (2008). Retrieved from https://medium.com/fgd1-the-archive/obama-hope-poster-by-sheperd-fairey-1307a8b6c7be.

Marisleysis Vasquez
    Participant

“We all believe that there is some point at which the public authorities ought to step in to limit the ‘self-expression’ of an individual or a group, even where this might be seriously intended as a form of artistic expression, and even where the artistic transaction is between consenting adults.”

Kristol, I. (1999). Liberal censorship and the common culture. Society, 36(6), 5–10. doi: 10.1007/bf02685980

This article by Irving Kirstol is useful to my research paper because he argues that censorship in art and entertainment is in fact necessary. Also, that there must exist limits in being able to express oneself freely. He makes the point that if one doesn’t believe that a book, play, or movie can corrupt or improve others then, this also must mean that they believe that all artworks and education are irrelevant. This phrase caught my attention because Kristol pointed out that although the public is consenting to a specific type of artistic expression it is still important that authorities take measures when it comes to pieces that might be considered obscene. I can utilize this in my research essay because it supports my claim that although museums like the Whitney are publicly funded, artworks that might be offensive to a group of people shouldn’t be displayed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.