LIB 2205ID – D958 Learning Places: Understanding the City – Interdisciplinary

• FEEDBACK ON MOCK PRESENTATIONS
  • #40410

Christopher Swift

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for doing your best explaining the current state of your projects today. It was very helpful for me to see where you are and where you are heading — and hopefully my feedback will help you this week as you continue to edit and develop your written reports.

Here is my specific feedback for students and groups. Prof. Chin and I expect that you will incorporate this into your written reports and presentations.

The Times Square Theater History Group (Ella-Lisa, Shanae, Hawa, and Amalia) : Overall, great work so far — especially on the historical background. Your next task is to link the social histories (economic boom, economic depression, changes in audience composition, changes entertainment types) with your particular theaters. When were the theaters empty? Why? How did the uses of your particular theaters change? Did the audiences change as well? What renovations were made (and when?).

Stedroy and Jin Ju (pre-Lincoln Center): include the city political forces that shaped the idea of building Lincoln Center. What were the goals of the developers and politicians? Also, what happened to the people who were relocated? Where did they go? Did they need to rezone?

Matthew and Maggie (1960s – present): more information on changes in the surrounding community — how did the presence of this cultural institution change the neighborhood (home prices, real estate, average income levels, minority population).

Josue: Good start. What were the stated goals of LC in building the Claire Tow theater? Why this particular performance space? What would it add to the complex as a whole?
    Christian: When providing information about the arts complex as a whole — please report on the purposes of each individual performance space. Each separate theater was built for particular kinds of performance. Please specify.
    Alex: More images of the MET and a closer analysis of particular renovations over time.
    Treoline: What were the architectural goals of Diller group in their redesign of Alice Tully Hall? What were they commissioned to do and what was their vision?

Alejandro: Excellent start. Remember to connect the general historical trends with the function of your particular building.
    Daley: Talk about the connection between the advertising age in Times Square and the ways in which the Shuberts advertised their productions and their theater spaces.

Leslie: Think about how outdoor performances in Lincoln Center are curated. What types of music and for what kinds of audiences? How does the size, shape, acoustics of the outdoor space inform the choices Lincoln Center makes when programing and scheduling their season?
    Andrea: Excellent. Sounds like you will learn a bit more this afternoon at the archive!
    Ana: remember to balance your focus. Don’t spend more than 50% of time on pre-Lincoln Center history. We want to know about opera-going rituals since the 1960s at the MET as well.

GREAT WORK EVERYONE! Remember to email me to make an appointment to see me during office hours so I can go over drafts of reports.

Prof. Swift

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)