HUS3605 Child Welfare and Family Services

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Child Welfare and Family Services

Emmanuela
    Participant

Astor Services: Astor Services is a non- profit organization that assisted children with mental health and families. This organization assist them with child care services, child welfare services, and early childhood development programs. Astor Services for children & families mission is to make sure every child get a childhood what they meant by that is that they want is to make sure the children get a normal life environment for them to grow and learn express themselves in a socially acceptable .The video had two different family member that was very happy with the service the first one was a lady by the name Alana Cosajay parent of Jayla, Alana describe her child as innerved, cry all the time and a worrier. Jayla mother stated that the organization helped her daughter and her family to understand what it was that Jayla was experience, though them skills and gave them strategies how to work with her. Another family member was Saundra and Eli Lewis who was referred due to his anger issues and problems. Saundra stated that Astor Services helped Eli to control his anger by letting him know that’s not how to do things or get things done. Alana said she was very bless by having Astor because they taught her a lot how to handle her child, Saundra said that they help you a lot, they stand by you through all the trials and tribulation and have support.

Mary Ellen Wilson Case: The video of Mary Ellen Wilson was very hard for me to watch due to her abusive childhood, I was shocked to hear that her mother was the one who was abusing her. In the video she stated that she never had but one pair of shoes, no stocking, and shoe doing winter. Mary Ellen Said that her bed at night is a piece of carpet, was not allowed to play or talk to people. Mar Ellen was neglect and abuse by her own mother, I can’t imagine how a mother can abuse her own child by beating badly or not giving her love and affection. Thank goodness for Henry Bergh who had rescued her on April 9th, 1874 also talked about Jacob Reece who was a social reformance, photographer and a tribute reported who did everything he could to get the word out that he actually wrote a book the title is How The Other Half Live.

Cross-Cultural Skills: In the reading for Cross-Cultural skills it is basically talking about importance in the human service field due to ethic, cultural backgrounds. Cross-culture Skills help you as a human service professional to understand, have a better communication with clients, have respect for your clients because you have a better understanding knowing their background and mostly trust between you and your clients is very important.

Family Rights: This article is about Family rights, it talks about many laws for family. In the article it talked about the different areas of law which are constitutional law, immigration, taxation, tort law, contract law, inheritance and property law. The article explained the different types of laws what they are and their purpose. In the article they talked about laws that is affecting the family, example Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 which congress provided parents the right to insect and review the educational records of their children and prohibited. They are so many rights in this article, to my surprising I did not know most of them I learned new laws in this article, it was interested.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.