HMGT4988 Parks & Rec F19

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Domino Park By Michelle Cruz Lopez

michelle
    Participant

Do you ever wonder where you can go to enjoy ocean view but also have a little fun while it being free at the same time?

Well there is no need to keep wondering I have the right place for you. It is call Domino park. Domino park was brought on by the same people that created the highline which is also a privately owned company call Two trees. This was about two years ago they were call to be the stewards of the park. Two trees are a civically minded company that find doing things like this compelling. They are known for having well maintained park in front of buildings which creates property value. They are unique because they fall outside of the jurisdiction of the parks department and their mechanism are different than most regular parks own by the parks department.

Two trees are also in charge of having free programs for the public. They have Programs such as salsa nights, fitness class, pumpkin picking for the public not just for the people that live in the building but for everyone. They made this park to be opened to the public, they are inviting everyone in New York City to come to this beautiful park. Some of the main features are heavily programmed. They thought about what type of physical things they want to have in the park and what will connect the neighborhood to the waterfront also they thought about what would people want to do, all day and all days of the week morning, noon and night. They have a dog run, bocce ball courts, turf field and a beach volleyball court. In the summer time they have a giant fountain that shoots water different heights and are illuminated. They have benches that are recycled from inside a refinery and they have built in USB courts that can charge your phone and get online to the Domino park Wi-Fi which parks department would not do. evening

What makes this park different is that the community came together to decide what they wanted in it. Two trees listened to the inputs of the area residents and neighbors. Another thing that makes this park interesting and stand out about this park is that unlike many parks surrounded by water Two Trees made sure that the deck of domino park is elevated 15 feet above the water in order to create a resilience so we are save from any storm. They started the design program a week after Hurricane Sandy so they made a lot of logical decisions and one of the criticism they get now is that some people do not have the same connection to the water that a lot of other parks have. There is no kayaking or get down to access the water which honestly to me is safer than having a connection to the water. I rather be safe than sorry.

Not only is Domino Park safe but it is surrounded by historic artifacts and the residents knew that this needed to be preserved or reinterpreted in some way and because of this two trees are making that possible. Two trees wanted is now preserving the sugar refinery that’s been there for 100 plus years hiding the water so the community never experienced that waterfront so part of what they were doing is building larger promenade reconnecting it to the neighborhood so they built river street that cuts through the park so as they build these buildings they are going to build the intersecting streets. factoring by putting still towers on the exterior of the building and the top 4 floors you can see into the sky so the exterior floors do not exist anymore. They installed the towers to hold up the four perimeter walls and they are now in the process of scooping all the inside of the building out so it’ll will just be the four perimeter walls and then they are going to build a new glass building inside the four walls that will be set back 10 to 15 feet from the existing building. Because the building was built for equipment and machines other than people none of the floors match up with the windows a lot of the windows are small which is not conducive to making an office building so by them building a new office building they can build things that office tenants want which will be a commercial building

Right now they have a community garden which let me tell you I went in there and it was super peaceful and relaxing. I loved the garden and the many trees and flowers they have in there. They also have a skate park inside but sadly this is temporary. Two trees will soon start reconstruction. This place will have Urban horoscope plaza, where they could do ice skating, farmers market and events.

Domino Park is open Monday Through Sunday from 6am to 1 am. It is only 10 to 15minutes walk from any transportation such as the M, J, Z to Marcy Av or the L to Bedford av. You can also take the B32, Q59 TO Kent Avenue and South 1st street. The B62 to Bedford avenue and South 4th street or the B24, B39, B44, B46, B60, Q54, Q59 to Washington Plaza which let me tell you does not stop many people from coming here. In the summer this park is full of people. You can take There’s the south Brooklyn ferry is opposite

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.