HMGT2305-E548

• NYT - Ugly Baby
  • #46166

Stephanie A

New York City College of Technology, CUNY
    Department of Hospitality Management

Janet Lefler Dining Room

MEMORANDUM

To: Professor Abreu, Director of Service
    From: Stephanie Aguayo
    Date: December 4, 2017
    Re: Restaurant Review

This weeks New York Times Pete Wells Restaurant Review focuses on a new Thai restaurant called Ugly Baby that opened up in August, located in Brooklyn. For starters, the title of the article, “At Ugly Baby, the Name Isn’t All That’s Unusual” already confused me and put me off when I read it. Pete Wells does go into depth with the food descriptions, which seemed to slightly capture my attention, but not by much. I’m usually into Thai food, but the cuisine descriptions by Pete Wells did not captivate me and nor’ did the images of the food. As I continued reading, I was intrigued to discover the hidden reason as to why the restaurant is called Ugly baby. Chef/Owner, Sirichai Sreparplarn states that Ugly Baby is named after the Thai superstition that evil spirits won’t bother harming unattractive infants, which I believe seemed to be such a strange, yet unique name and reasoning for an establishment. Pete Wells states, Ugly Baby’s food, “was very good and a few things were so exceptional that they are now pinned to my [Pete Wells] map of great Thai dishes in the city”; but personally, despite that it’s far from where I live it would still be very unlikely that I would visit this establishment unless someone physically were to bring me there or pay for my food, as awful as that may sound.

“Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)