HMGT2305-E548

New York City College of Technology, CUNY 

Department of Hospitality Management 

Janet Lefler Dining Room 

MEMORANDUM 

To:     Prof. Abreu, Director of Service 

From: Jairo Ducos, 

Date:  December 4, 2017 

Re: Restaurant Review 

This week I read the New York Times review by Pete Wells¬†about¬†Ugly Baby.¬†This¬†review¬†starts off¬†basically stating that not many¬†things¬†are good,¬†fast, and cheap¬†but Ugly¬†Baby is the exception to the rule. Wells, in a¬†very¬†detailed manner describes each dish he¬†ordered to ensure the reader¬†understands how impressed he was.¬† He¬†explains that¬†all of the¬†food he¬†ate was¬†very good with certain dishes¬†so¬†phenomenal¬†that it will forever¬†be¬†imprinted¬†in his mind. One of these¬†unforgettable¬†dishes is the Kao Tod Nam¬†Klook.¬†Wells’¬†writes of¬†the¬†dish as¬†if it was an¬†ultimate discovery. The rice is cooked with dry curry and¬†chilies,¬†then seared to create a chewy, golden crust on it. Within it, there is short bits of long beans, cilantro, mint, peanuts, and tiny pieces of fermented pork sausage which he¬†recommends¬†being wrapped in lettuce with a basil leaf and dried¬†chili.¬†

After reading the article I decided without much persuasion that I will visit Ugly Baby. I am already a fan of Thai food but understanding that chef Sirichai Sreparplarn creates dishes from different regions of Thailand excited my palate. Even their Gai Golae, which is a common dish in many New York Thai restaurants, is possibly the best version. The chicken skewers are marinated in a coconut-peanut sauce using only meaty thighs. The dish that caught my attention is the Kua Kling. As an adamant spice lover, the sound of southern dry eye round curry made my mouth water with excitement. I am dying to try it to see if it will take me longer then the five minutes it took Wells to gather himself to make a comment.  

As I read the¬†article,¬†I decided that I would¬†recommend eating¬†at Ugly Baby. Every dish looks and sounds incredible, and with Wells backing it up, it‚Äôs a no brainer. Even if¬†you’re¬†not a fan of spice¬†there are dishes that just burst with different flavors,¬†none of them with heat. If the only issue¬†Wells¬†has with the food is the rice pudding with durian, then¬†I am¬†pretty confident that visiting Ugly Baby with leave a¬†positive¬†lasting¬†memory¬†with your taste buds.¬†

“Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry”¬†