HMGT2305-E548

New York City College of Technology, CUNY 

Department of Hospitality Management 

Janet Lefler Dining Room 

MEMORANDUM 

To:     Prof. Abreu, Director of Service 

From: Jairo Ducos, 

Date:  December 4, 2017 

Re: Restaurant Review 

This week I read the New York Times review by Pete Wells about Ugly Baby. This review starts off basically stating that not many things are good, fast, and cheap but Ugly Baby is the exception to the rule. Wells, in a very detailed manner describes each dish he ordered to ensure the reader understands how impressed he was.  He explains that all of the food he ate was very good with certain dishes so phenomenal that it will forever be imprinted in his mind. One of these unforgettable dishes is the Kao Tod Nam Klook. Wells’ writes of the dish as if it was an ultimate discovery. The rice is cooked with dry curry and chilies, then seared to create a chewy, golden crust on it. Within it, there is short bits of long beans, cilantro, mint, peanuts, and tiny pieces of fermented pork sausage which he recommends being wrapped in lettuce with a basil leaf and dried chili. 

After reading the article I decided without much persuasion that I will visit Ugly Baby. I am already a fan of Thai food but understanding that chef Sirichai Sreparplarn creates dishes from different regions of Thailand excited my palate. Even their Gai Golae, which is a common dish in many New York Thai restaurants, is possibly the best version. The chicken skewers are marinated in a coconut-peanut sauce using only meaty thighs. The dish that caught my attention is the Kua Kling. As an adamant spice lover, the sound of southern dry eye round curry made my mouth water with excitement. I am dying to try it to see if it will take me longer then the five minutes it took Wells to gather himself to make a comment.  

As I read the article, I decided that I would recommend eating at Ugly Baby. Every dish looks and sounds incredible, and with Wells backing it up, it’s a no brainer. Even if you’re not a fan of spice there are dishes that just burst with different flavors, none of them with heat. If the only issue Wells has with the food is the rice pudding with durian, then I am pretty confident that visiting Ugly Baby with leave a positive lasting memory with your taste buds. 

“Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry”