HMGT2305-D448-28097

• NY Times Restaurant Review - 9.29.16
  • #39350

Ambre Farrington

New York City College of Technology, CUNY
    Department of Hospitality Management

Janet Lefler Dining Room

Memorandum

To: Professor Abreu, Director of Service
    From: Ambre Farrington, Student ___
    Date: September 29, 2016
    Re: New York Times Restaurant Review

Pete Wells ‘exposes’ Gunter Seeger after a visit to his newest restaurant, Gunter Seeger NY. It was not made clear what type of cuisine is served at Gunter Seeger NY, but the Chef and Restaurateur is German and seems to stray from traditional dishes.

According to Wells, Seeger’s self- confidence both fuels and sabotages his success in the industry as he is known to be inflexible in the way of service. For example, Seeger opted to sell tickets to dine at his restaurant for $185 as opposed to paying valet to park his customers’ cars. It would appear his “my way or the highway” strategy did not serve him well; he has recently decided to offer reservations with a $100 per person cancellation fee within 48 hours.

Wells was told by his server that the Chef wanted customers to “feel at home” while dining at the restaurant, but the dĂ©cor of the place felt sterile, cold and unwelcoming. He only mentioned interacting with staff once, which also seemed curt and probably as unwelcoming as the restaurant itself. I gather the only positive thing about Gunther Seeger NY is the ‘technically perfect’ food, but even that is inconsistent judging by Pete Wells’ last meal.

I would not dine at the restaurant because I would be expecting a lot more than food at Seeger’s price point. The review of the restaurant reveals there is little to experience there besides an artful and ‘perfectly’ scant plate, which for me is not worth the money.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)