HMGT1101_S2020_Goodlad

• NY Times, 36 Hours Weekly Discussion May 5
  • #58811

Prof. Karen Goodlad

We will continue to read and discuss the NYTimes 36 hours articles. However, instead of an in-class discussion, students will be asked to make one post of 150 or more word and reply to one other post with an additional 100 word reply. When writing your post, consider what you know about assessing a tourism experience, write about the regional cuisine, activities, culture, transportation, lodging and price value.

The tread will be written within this Discus Topic Forum and NOT as a blog post. The student must post before 8:30am on the day it is due. This will be a student discussion board, though I will be reading, I may or may not post or reply. This discussion is considered the “shared reading” for the course and is worth 10% of the course grade.

For May 5 we will read and discuss the article posted about San Francisco.: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-san-francisco.html

#61275

Pemba Dolma

San Francisco is a very diverse city in terms of culture. Bay area is crowded yet that makes it more interesting. In the article, “36 Hours in San Francisco,” Bonnie Tsui has provided a good description of the city where the culture of people has been transformed since the 60s till the present day. The more interesting thing about San Francisco is the cultures of the people, which is greatly influenced by its arts, food, museum, and fashion. I would recommend visiting this place as it offers a wide spread of activities, attractions, and verities of food. That is an important aspect of the tourist attraction sites. The Embarcadero, bayside pedestrian promenade in which visitors should not miss to stroll around the crowds of the city. Another thing to see is the century-old Ferry Building which represents a grand marketplace. There is a bar with live music where they showcase the house’s old-fashioned Hammond Organ. For activities, visitors who like sports can join for the game at Mission Bowling club. The city has a newly spiffed-up Dolores Park with a tennis court, fresh grassy splendor with expanded bathroom, where visitors can go for a picnic and enjoy along with family and friends. Also, there is an educational art gallery and Mission’s mural walk with $20 and a discount for students and seniors. The visitors can enjoy and gain different experience from the taste of dishes at Ichi Sushi and Ni Bar Airy’s that serves directly from experts’ hand. All in all, San Francisco city offers leisure travelers to have a good experience along with hotels that are modern British and Japanese styles despite its price value.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Pemba Dolma.
    #61381

Jessica

The city of San Francisco is well known for being the pinnacle of the tech movement here in the US. Headquarters of various leading tech companies like Uber, Twitter, and AirBnb are located within this city, and continue to push the city upwards, economically. However, there are things that will not change; Cultural cuisine, picturesque landscapes, and the astonishing views atop the hilly streets. The iconic Fisherman’s Wharf, where you can get fresh seafood and delicious clam chowder, is located along The Embarcadero, San Francisco’s iconic bayside pedestrian promenade. It is best enjoyed starting from the top of this bayside, and making your way down to the Ferry building. During the warmer months, tourists can find ice cream stands and various food stands, that this bay area is known for. Upon reaching the Ferry building, there is a market inside that is full of modern bay area food trends, and is the perfect place for children and families. San Francisco’s night life is lively- with various bars and clubs within the city, there is no shortage of destinations for a night cap. Lodging closer to the central part of the city will be pricey, around $140-$170 a night. However, AirBnb is popular amongst families, and can be an excellent alternative for those traveling on a budget. The city is riddled with cute hole-in-the-wall bookstores, assortment of locally hand-crafted treasures, culturally enriched foods, and more, making it impossible to run out of things to do. Whether a tourist is traveling for leisure or business- San Francisco is a travel destination that will be memorable for all.

#61385

Jessica

Hi Pemba,

I agree with your sentiment that a destination is only as good as the activities that it has to offer. Not only is San Francisco a beautiful city to visit, but there is much to do there. From my experience, some of the best hikes are located in San Francisco (the views offer the best payoff). This city is also a well known art district, with artists selling and displaying their art in various ways. There is no shortage of murals, festivals, and galleries where local artists come together to showcase their talents. The food in San Francisco is extremely diverse, much like New York City, and I’d say that there is something for everyone. It is truly a remarkable place, but tourists will most likely splurge for a trip there!

#61391

Pemba Dolma

Hi Jessica, you are absolutely right as San Francisco is a city that has so many things to offer, and its good for all types of visitors. You described the location with specific information that visitors need to know. In fact, San Francisco seems similar to new york city that has a diversity of people from all around the world. I think the culture of people and cuisine makes this place more special. Last time when I went to California, I didn’t get a chance to go to the Ferry Building, however, next time I won’t miss that. It sounds interesting. Overall, this is one of the attractive tourist destinations that a traveler should consider visiting.

#61394

Destiny Kinloch

I would recommend tourists to spend 36 hours in San Francisco. There’s various activities to get an insight on their culture, places to eat and many places to stay all for an affordable price. Tourists can either stay at Hotel Zetta or Buchanan depending on what ambience they want. Hotel Zetta is a tech savvy, modern British style hotel and the cost starts at $163.20. The Buchanan has Japanese influenced rooms and the price starts at $140.00. Tourists can get a feel of San Francisco’s culture by visiting the Young Museum. This museum is free from 1-5 pm and it allows artists to showcase their work. People can also go bowling at the Mission Bowling Club for $35 to $55 per lane per hour and it’s best to make a reservation. This is a friendly neighborhood environment for people to have fun. The cuisine is also something tourists should experience because it gives you a taste of what the restaurants offer. One restaurant they have is a seafood restaurant for about $65.00. People can also go to an elegant three-course menu restaurant that pairs the food with the wine. But when people consider visiting San Francisco they should worry about how they’re going to get around because everything isn’t close to each other.

#61405

Destiny Kinloch

Hi Pemba,
    I agree that San Francisco evolved from the 60s. I think tourists can get a feel of the culture through the various things people are able to do. This city offers a different experience when it comes to cuisine and you know that the food is being prepared by extremely talented chefs. I believe this city can appeal to different people. I like how you mentioned the Mission Bowling Club and how people that like sports can join the game. I found it interesting how they mentioned two different hotels that gives a different feeling and decorated in two different ways. One is Japanese based and the other is modern British which is very different. I would personally visit San Francisco because it would be a new experience for me.

#61477

Demetrius

In the 36 hours article, the author explores the culturally diverse city of San Francisco, although the city has witnessed many changes over the years it has revamped its origin while also picking up a few aspects from many other cultures. There is an endless supply of food options which should be really appealing to any tourist looking to visit. The city provides the perfect blend of casual places where you can interact with locals for example, experience modern food trends in the Bay area by visiting the food market where there is an outdoor food market three days of the week. Visit the Delores park for a relaxing picnic day while sunbathing or head over the de Young Museum to see new artists install art and work with the public at the museum’s Kimball Education Gallery which is free, 1 to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. Craving something more exciting, visit the Mission Bowling club and enjoy a couple of games with some food and drink. The nightlife is immaculate, for those who prefer to indulge in nighttime activities, head over to the many bars scattered throughout the city. Lodging is very inexpensive and I would recommend visiting San Francisco because for the experience it is a great value for money.

#61498

Mariame Traore

Hi Destiny,
    I agree with your post. San Francisco is a friendly neighborhood but you would need a reliable transportation source because most things are far from each other. I like how the culture is incorporated in the activities. I found it interesting that they have Japanese style lodging even though it isn’t a Asian city. I wonder where that idea came from. I believe the cuisine is similar to the one in New York.

#61499

Mariame Traore

I would recommend spending 36 hours in San Francisco. San Francisco is the home of icons used on an everyday basis such as Uber and Twitter. You can bust “Reds” a restaurant where giant fans go grab a bite after or before the ball games. A cheese burger is about $6 that is a reasonable price being that it’s next to a stadium. You can also enjoy the view of San Francisco at this restaurant. You can also visit “Alemany Farmers Market” where the market offers the best cornucopia in the city for $5.you can go ok a Linux at Dolores Park while enjoying nature. With a student and senior discount you can cost the neighborhood art gallery for $20. While visiting San Francisco you can go lodging at a tech savvy hotel for $164 a night or you can lodge at a cheaper hotel with Japanese influenced rooms for $140 a night.

#61501

Lola Marie

I completely agree with you Demetrius! Even though San Francisco is considered to be an expensive city to visit, for the amount of things a person will get to see and experience while there, I think every penny spent will be worth it. I mean, no one likes the idea of wasting money on things that are not important/meaningful to them. So I suggest anyone looking to visit San Francisco, to first do their research on what the city has to offer, see if they have any interest in any of those things, and depends on their conclusion, only then they can make the decision to visit or not.
    You can’t walk into a dealership with a few quarters in your pocket expecting to walk out with a car. But, you can use those coins to buy you a few jellyfish at the candy store, right? Moral to the story, ” all good things come at a high price.” San Francisco is no exception, a lot of phenomenal things happening in that city, so the choice to visit or not is yours.

#61504

Haydee T

I would recommend 36 hours in the city of San Francisco, this beautiful technical and diverse city has so much to explore that anyone can enjoy. It holds many recreation parks where anyone can unwind, bring some lunch or just hang out and relax on the grass, it is fun for all. The city has beautiful scenery and anyone wanting to go explore can have a great time being adventurous by visiting historical sites as well as the de Young Museum, where theres an avast of art collections. It is also a perfect spot to grasp the cities scenery through the ceiling to floor glass windows that makes you feel as you were part of the picture. You can also explore some history by jumping on the ferry and learning some history about the Golden Gate Bridge which is the cities iconic attraction. For those food lovers this city is perfect. It has a large number of restaurant, bars, flea markets, cafes, bakeries and a farmers market. Generating all type of foods and drinks perfect to create an itinerary if you wish to try them all. For anyone wishing to stay a bit closer to the city the best hotel to stay at would be Hotel Zetta. This tech-savy hotel is home to the Cavalier and has a modern british-style gastro pub very well known. If you’re more interested in a Japanese style atmosphere it would be best to stay at the Buchanan Hotel which features 131 minimalist Japanese influenced rooms that are close to Pacific Heights and Japantown. Overall San Francisco is a great city to visit offering a number of great attractions and restaurants as well as outdoor scenery and fun nightlife, even though the cost might be pretty high, this city is totally worth it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)