HMGT1101_S2020_Goodlad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• NY Times, 36 Hours Weekly Discussion March 24

Prof. Karen Goodlad
    Participant

We will continue to read and discuss the NYTimes 36 hours articles. However, instead of an in-class discussion, students will be asked to make one post of 150 or more word and reply to one other post with an additional 100 word reply. When writing your post, consider what you know about assessing a tourism experience, write about the regional cuisine, activities, culture, transportation, lodging and price value.

The tread will be written within this Discus Topic Forum and NOT as a blog post. The student must post before 8:30am on the day it is due. This will be a student discussion board, though I will be reading, I may or may not post or reply. This discussion is considered the “shared reading” for the course and is worth 10% of the course grade.

For March 24 we will read and discuss the article posted on March 12, Aruba: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-aruba.html

Some people contacted me that NY Times is not allowing access, I contacted the library and I added a PDF of the article in the files section.

Pemba Dolma
    Participant

In the article, “36 Hours in Aruba”, the author has provided a good description of the place that will bring more attention to vacationers. It explained the destination more closely including its culture, adventure activities, attractions, dining services, lodging and price value. These are the significant attributes that any traveler might consider while planning for traveling a specific location. The activities that are described are enjoying the sunset between the palm trees in the beach for relaxation, Aruba Aloe Factory and Museum Tour to find out information of the source, strolling and shopping from historical town, high-intensity sports activity such as kite surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, and snorkeling for a fun experience which I think attracts traveler. Food is another key part that visitors put consideration during travel. The author specifies the Aruban cuisine where tables are around a central pool, and diners can sample the classic Aruban dish, Keeshi yena, a casserole of chicken stewed with olives and raisins and covered in cheese served on a sizzling stone. Also, it described the place called Flying Fishbone where diners can have a romantic dining experience by watching the sunset barefoot as they reserve the table that sits in the sand or the water. Moreover, the lodging price seems a little high. However, regardless of its price value, a traveler might get distinctive experience from the smaller boutique resorts. Overall, visitors can have a great experience from all these services despite cost value consideration.

AnushG97
    Participant

In the article, “36 Hours in Aruba”, the author has provided a good description of the place and the many things that it has to offer One of the things that this place has to offer is Beach-bumming which can be a great activity for family or couples. They also offer Tropical sports even if you are a beginner it something that you can enjoy. One other great aspect of this place is the food that is offered there. For example, they offer Aruban cuisine and are perfect for dinner for two. Another great food aspect is a lunch barbecue and can be great for families. I would definitely recommend this as a journey with family or even couples. Even though the price might be difficult however, regardless of its price value, a traveler might get experience from the smaller boutique resorts. Overall, visitors can have a great experience.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by AnushG97.

Destiny Kinloch
    Participant

I agree that the article provided many examples that would encourage travelers to spend time there. One of the things that should be taken into consideration is price value because if you want to do every activity and eat a lot of things, you will need to give yourself a certain budget. I also agree that this is a place where you can take time to relax or do the activities that Aruba offers. Travelers aren’t restricted to one specific thing since there’s a variety of things to do here. I especially liked the restaurant they have if you want to go on a date because that means this can also be a trip for couples or single people wanting to enjoy time by themselves.

Destiny Kinloch
    Participant

I would recommend travelers to spend 36 hours in Aruba. It has beautiful resorts and cruise ships that stops at the capital. Also Aruba has boutique hotels, restaurants and beaches. The various activities travelers can do gives them the opportunity to fully experience Aruba as if they were a local. Tourists can easily roam around as a local if they wanted to without getting lost because the roads are good and very straight forward. Also travelers can get a rental car to tour around Aruba. People are able to go to Eagle Beach and on it is a place called Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort. Certain seats are for hotel guests but the bar is for everyone. Also there’s an Aruban restaurant named Papiamento that costs from $100- $150. The restaurant serves classic Aruban dishes and the tables are around a pool. There’s another restaurant called Babyback Grill that’s considered a cheap eats barbecue joint. They sell some of the best barbecue and costs $30 for lunch for two people. There’s a museum people can visit called the Aruba Aloe Factory and Museum Tour so tourists can get a sense of Aruba’s culture by learning what they’re famous for which is Aruba Aloe. Another activity is tourists can either go kite surfing or scuba diving. Travelers can do either of those things at the Hadicurari Beach. On that beach there’s two places that offers both activities which is called Aruba Active Vacations and Aqua Windie’s. Aruba Active Vacations allow you to go snorkeling and see many beautiful creatures. They offer a 2 hour package for $60 for beginners. Tourists can dive to a site where 2 sunken airplanes are and the Antilla shipwreck. Overall, Aruba allows travelers to get a gull experience and have a good time but take price value into consideration.

Pemba Dolma
    Participant

Hi Anush! I totally agree with your opinion regarding this article. Certainly, the author has described the place very well as it is needed to be. I like the point where you made a clear about an activity that offered can be great for a specific group of people such as families and couples. The food they offered there seems interesting too as that is something any visitors might consider. In fact, I love the place as it has many choices to make for lodging service as well. This is one of the places which I thought of visiting sometime later and also I would recommend visiting this destination for any traveler who is seeking to have a different experience from travel. What do you think in terms of culture?

Raquel Melendez
    Participant

Aruba is an island next to Curacao and 15 miles off the coast of Venezuela. The New York Times article “36 hours in Aruba” by Shannon Sims describes the Caribbean island as a “vacation hot spot” with “brightly colored birds”, crystal-like waters and white sand beaches. It has a wide selection of activities for families, couples, and individuals looking for an adventure. Aruba offers a variety of beaches, water sports, museums, the Arikok National Park, shopping outlets, and affordable eateries. There is something for everyone! Picture the warm sun, light packing, and days by the beach watching the sunset. The island provides beautiful sceneries if you are looking for a hotel by the beach consider Bucutti & Tara Beach Hotel which is conveniently located by Eagle Beach. It is also a great location for travelers looking to take pictures and post all over Instagram. If that’s not exciting enough, Aruba is famous for shipwreck snorkeling and it’s sunken airplanes. Aqua Windie provides travelers with the choice of snorkeling or scuba diving to experience the waters and the historical significance of the sunken ships and planes. Aruba Active Vacations provides wind-surfing and kit-surfing for those that prefer to be above water. Tourists interested in nature, and Aruba’s history should consider visiting Arikok National Park. Visitors have the option to ride on a horse, ride in a car, or go through the park by foot and see the cave paintings that date back to Aruba’s first inhabitants. If you are into wellness and beauty then The Aruba Aloe Factory and Museum may be of interest to you as it is home to Aruba’s most popular cosmetic brand. They provide visitors with tours of the aloe fields and production facilities. As far as restaurants and local cuisine, the author recommends Papiamento for a traditional meal of chicken stewed casserole with olives, raisins, and cheese by the pool and under the trees. Huachanda for Venezuelan tasty baked treats and Zeerovers for fresh seafood such as Arubam wahoo, Venezuelan shrimp. Everything is fried and can be served with local beer. Lastly, BabyBack Grill is a great barbecue spot for pork ribs at an affordable price. All in all, Aruba has a lot to offer and several lodging options with big chain hotels that offer vegetarian and vegan options.

Raquel Melendez
    Participant

Hi Pelma! I agree with your response to the article. The author does provide a lot of information on the different activities tourist can partake in. You made a lot of suggestions that will attract different types of tourists. For instance those interested in history, there is the Aruba Aloe Factory and Museum. For the foodie, you mentioned several local meals and even made the connection to tourists interested in a romantic dining experience. You also mentioned a list of different water sport activities for the athletic and adrenaline lover. For people considering Aruba, you provided solid information on what their experience could be like.

Raquel Melendez
    Participant

Hi Destiny! Your response to the article was informative and you did a great job featuring the highlights of Aruba. I believe potential travelers would be able to determine if the associated costs are worth the value of the activities. Cuisine, beach attractions, museums, and lodging were clearly articulated in your response. Similarly, I found that Aruba would offer a lot of tourists a good time and full experience. Overall, I was able to get an idea of what Aruba is about and what to anticipate financially. I can imagine the number of people that would be interested in a vacation to Aruba.

Jessica
    Participant

Aruba was one of many popular travel destinations in the 80’s; So much so that it received a shoutout in the famous Beach Boys song “Kokomo”. It is considered “paradise” with its bluest of waters, tropical sports, and breathtaking views. The cuisine is unlimiting, catering to those who want a classic Arubian feast, a no-nonsense BBQ meal, and even Dutch and Venezuelan baked goods. The vast shore lines give tourists the opportunity to wake up, and settle down by the water from wherever they are lodging. If that isn’t paradise, I don’t know what is! There are tons of lodging options to choose from, as major chain hotels and resorts flourish in Aruba. There is no shortage of activities to do on this island; From exploring Arikok National Park by four-wheeler, horseback, or by hiking, to road tripping around the island in a rental car, and water activities such as snorkeling or scuba-diving. There is an activity for everyone.
    This travel destination is truly an accommodating one. It is a place that caters to those who prefer to stay within their resort (the beach and new experiences are at your disposal), or to those who embrace adventure by abandoning the comfort of their hotel/resort for some unique cheeses and foods. This vacation location can land on the pricier side, so I would not recommend this destination for those on a tight budget. However, for those who have not experienced the beauty that is a paradise island, Aruba is a destination that is worth a visit. Its famous reputation is not one that is ill-fitting.

Jessica
    Participant

Hi Pemba.
    I agree that “culture, adventure activities, attractions, dining services, lodging and price value” are all important attributes for tourists as well. It is important for a tourist to understand these attributes before deciding on a vacation destination. I know that whenever I travel internationally, I do my best to research beforehand, as a means of educating myself so that I can be optimize my preparedness. I also agree with your comment that cuisine plays an important role in the consideration of a travel destination. The options in Aruba sound delicious and accommodating! The cost value of a vacation is important, but who can put a price on pure paradise bliss!

Haydee T
    Participant

Aruba is the most southern island of the Caribbean, and its only a few miles north from Venezuela. It is known by cruise ships since its a popular destination on a cruise itinerary. Aruba has some of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the Caribbean and for decades its considered Paradise to many who travel. It contains unique treasures, a national park, a town lined full of murals and an offshore shipwreck. It welcomes families, couples, and friends of all ages, with something to do for everyone. Explore brightly colored birds, roaming packs of donkeys, beaches, piers and delicious dishes at different local restaurants. Anywhere from breakfast at a bakery in the islands capital Oranjestad, to BBQ Ribs for lunch in a parking lot, to exquisite dinners in different upscale restaurants. Enjoy tropical sports from windsurfing to scuba diving or just sit and take in the sun at the beaches along side resorts. Take a road trip and explore the island more in depth by cruising by palm beach where all chain resorts are as well as visiting California Sand Dunes and the California Lighthouse. You can also explore the Aloe factory, The Museum of Industry, and shop around the Cosecha where you can find sculptures and hand painted greeting cards as well as participate in art workshops. As far as lodging there’s a couple options based on what the guest are looking for, big chain hotels such as Hilton, Marriott and Ritz-Carlton have prime beachfront locations in Palm Beach but if there looking for a more low-key or private experience there’s Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort in Eagle Beach which starts from around $403 or The Boardwalk Boutique Hotel Aruba which starts at $280, Theres also Airbnb options inland that go for around $125 a night for entire homes. Overall, I recommend Aruba as a destination to travel it has many activities, restaurants and exquisite beaches for anyone whether to relax or have a bit of more fun. I do say it can be a bit expensive depending on the itinerary chosen but if fun is what your looking for then it will be worth while.

Haydee T
    Participant

Hi Jessica,
    I love your post about Aruba, I agree with you that its just paradise island and its a must see. Its so important that its open to any group and any age, whether traveling with family or just a couple its suiting for all. The itinerary is endless as there is so much to do. I believe that people knowing the different choices in activities will intrigue them to come and visit as well as those breath taking beaches and sunsets because lets be honest who wouldn’t want to go see that! The many options in cuisine is also intriguing since many people may have different taste and preferences including vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. As far as cost it can be a bit costly but I agree who can put a price on paradise bliss, I believe is totally worth it!

AnushG97
    Participant

Hi Raquel, I love your post and you make a very interesting point. I also love that you picked on that they offer a vegetarian and vegan options.

Demetrius
    Participant

The article highlights Aruba’s panoramic beaches that attract tourist who wish to either relax on the beach with a few drinks or indulge in water activities which include snorkeling, windsurfing etc. One activity that stood out the most was snorkeling around the ship wreck and sunken airplane. The weather is typically humid year round which promotes beach activity. Various styles of restaurants cater to different types of tourist, for persons who want to experience dining in a high class Aruba restaurant, the Papiamento provides just that. However, persons who wish to experience local cuisine will be ecstatic with the amount of fresh seafood and BBQ spots available. Transportation around the island is really easy, tourist can rent a car and drive around the island viewing the beaches and landscape. Tourist can get the opportunity to learn a bit about Aruba’s culture through a museum visit or by exploring the Arikok National Park which has a cave with drawings from the native inhabitants. In addition travelers can also encounter true customs of the natives by visiting local bars and interacting with the locals. Lodging is a bit pricey but overall I would recommend traveling to Aruba because it is a great value for money.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.