HMGT1101_S2020_Goodlad

• NY Times, 36 Hours Weekly Discussion, April 14 (originally due March 31)
  • #58806

Prof. Karen Goodlad

We will continue to read and discuss the NYTimes 36 hours articles. However, instead of an in-class discussion, students will be asked to make one post of 150 or more word and reply to one other post with an additional 100 word reply. When writing your post, consider what you know about assessing a tourism experience, write about the regional cuisine, activities, culture, transportation, lodging and price value.

The tread will be written within this Discus Topic Forum and NOT as a blog post. The student must post before 8:30am on the day it is due. This will be a student discussion board, though I will be reading, I may or may not post or reply. This discussion is considered the “shared reading” for the course and is worth 10% of the course grade.

For April 14 (formerly March 31) we will read and discuss the article about Soul, South Korea: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/15/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-seoul.html. Thank you Jessica for the recommendation.

#59789

Pemba Dolma

Seoul is the place where I wanted to visit at least once. After reading the article, I believe Seoul is mostly culturally diversified, traditional and best known for street food. The author provided the fact that it was once one of Asia’s most underrated cities which later became like a site of tourism in the introductory part. He also described the Korean pop culture that has shifted the fashion and entertainment industries and help improved to lift tourism sector. I think young people are more likely to enjoy strolling, trying much binge-worthy street food such as kimchi, traditionally made soju, duk mandu guk, a heavenly soup of rice cake, kimbap, live octopus, etc. and shopping particularly for Korean designer in this city. Food is one of the important aspects that visitors put into consideration. The restaurant offers dishes artfully presented as it is nourishing for the soul. In terms of activities, there is a k-chop show that represents interesting and entertaining nonverbal performance as drum-pounding and food throwing Korean theater shows. There is a Samsung Museum of Art devoted entirely to music, gallery, and the most surprising green spaces the cheonggyecheon stream, changdeokgung palace as historical place as traveler’s attraction site. The author did not provide the price value in terms of the dollar, however, the hotels have a textural brick façade reminiscent of a traditional Korean home that seems interesting as it provides homely experience.

#59836

Jessica

Seoul has seen an influx of travelers in the past few years- and for good reason. It has become a city on the rise, with delicious and eclectic street foods that won’t break the bank, coffee shops with rustic and modern decor that are an Instagramer’s dream, and tons of shopping outlets for those who enjoy buying clothes while on vacation. The food in Seoul can range from inexpensive street food, to more adventurous menu items like live octopus, nakgi, or even beef tartare. For those who want to splurge on an expensive dinner can try hanwoo, beef that is specific to Korea.
    The city itself has history woven into its’ very core, and there are still temples in which the royals lived: Changdeokgung Palace. There are small boutiques that will dress travelers in full traditional Korean wear, hanbok, so you can explore the palace in style. A popular tourist destination is an amusement park called Lotte World; It contains one of the world’s largest indoor theme parks, perfect for families. Hongdae is a region in Seoul that is full of life, due in part to the high volume of university students who frequent the area. The limitless choices of bars, restaurants, lounges, and clubs makes Hongdae a must-see spot for travelers who are looking to have a fun night. Price for lodging in Seoul depends heavily on the popularity of the region. A hotel room can range from 85,000 won to 150,000 won. However, many travelers use AirBnb, as it is about half the price of a single hotel room, and provides amazing city views (it is usually in a high rise apartment building).
    Due to the high influx of tourism, most street signs and dining menus are written in English and Korean which makes the city incredibly tourist friendly. Seoul is a beautiful city to visit, and checks off a plethora of needs for travelers.

#59837

Jessica

Hi Pemba,

As a Korean American, I highly recommend that you visit Seoul! It is incredibly diverse, especially in the area of Itaewon. The pop culture heavily influences the fashion district of Korea, so you can easily find unique clothing items that you can’t find anywhere else. If you enjoy trying new foods (doesn’t have to be as adventurous as live octopus!) the street food in Myeongdong is a highly coveted tourist spot. The food is cheap, and freshly made. Shops carrying Korean skincare and makeup is also in the same area, so you can eat and shop all day night! The last time I went to Korea, I stayed for about a month, so I opted for a cheaper lodging option and went with Airbnb; It was far from lacking. There was a gym in the apartment building, convenience store and a beautiful cafe downstairs, and the view was amazing. I hope you get to travel to Seoul one day!

#59839

Pemba Dolma

Hi Jessica,
    Indeed, it sounds an interesting and beautiful place to visit after reading your post! I will definitely plan sometime in the future. You have described the city very well with full of description which made it clearer in a sense of travel. I am very fond of trying new foods and shopping as well so I think it will be much fun! Another interesting thing is the beautiful Korean traditional dress that I have always wanted to wear and capture some pictures. It seems a nice place to travel with family and a group of friends. I believe Seoul is great for a leisure traveler as it offers an amusement park, temples, lots of options for food, shopping for fashionable clothes, makeup, etc.

#60320

Destiny Kinloch

Seoul is a place that I believe travelers should visit for various reasons. Seoul started off unpopular but now it’s in a tourist boom due to it becoming known in the fashion and entertainment industries. There are many places to shop, eat and explore so visitors can get a sense of the Korean culture. Two of the places a tourist can go to shop for Korean fashion is the Common Ground and Studio K. Around these areas are casual food trucks for people to eat from as they go. Also Seoul offers a theater show that allows the audience to get involved in their show but money should be kept in mind. This costs 40,000 won but in US dollars it costs $32.86. There are also museums that varies from showcasing music to art. The cuisine allows you to taste fresh food imported from China. One of the cheap restaurants is casual and the vegetables they use for their meals are sourced locally. Also visitors can visit a place named the Secret Garden to learn about the Korean royalty history and how they lived. They’re able to get a tour for 90 minutes and it costs 8,000 won which is $6.57. Travelers are able to visit the infamous noodle shop that expanded to the US. It costs up to 30,000 won which is $24.64 in US dollars. Seoul also has 2 lodging options and you get a different experience from each. One hotel allows you to get a traditional Korean home feeling and it doubles from 150,000 won. The second option has a black and white theme with a gallery showcasing the local artists work and this doubles from 80,000 won. Also the tourist can have help getting around Seoul by renting a phone to navigate the streets.

#60321

Destiny Kinloch

Jessica I agree with you with the fact that Seoul is a beautiful place to visit because it has so many different aspects to it that makes it unique. From the fashion to the cuisine, Seoul is a place I would love to spend my time at because it seems so different from what I am used to seeing. I think it is important to learn about many different cultures other than your own to get a different view of the world. I also agree with the fact that the night life in Seoul is something to look forward to because there are so many bars and lounges for people to explore and have fun at.

#60322

Mariame Traore

I agree with Destiny’s post. Seoul started off kind of unknown and it is now known for fashion and entertainment. The cuisine is very diverse. They showcase Asian cuisine sticking to the culture. Some restaurants get food imported freshly from China. What’s better than fresh food. I love the fact that they give visitors different lodging options with a different approach. To give you a traditional Korean home feel they have a specific hotel for you. This lodging option will be good for someone who wants to learn and basically live in a culture for a few days. For more of the Seoul Artsy they give you another option. The second option has a black and white theme. In this hotel they showcase art from locals.I would definitely visit Seoul because I find it very fascinating to be able to try different Asian foods in the food courts.

#60323

Mariame Traore

Seoul Korea was once an underrated city. Now they get nonstop visitor things to the Korean pop culture wave of fashion and entertainment. I would recommend spending 36 hour in Seoul. You can go to Nanta where you watch chefs who are tasked to prepare massive feasts. It’s very entertaining because it’s a nonverbal performance. Just imagine the intensity. Tickets start at 40,000 won. You can also visit the Gwangjang market where you can eat as much street food as you like. Gwangjang is one of the oldest markets in the city.You will get to eat a mixture of Korean, English and Chinese food. What’s a better way to get to know a specific group of people than through what they eat. To see non-stopped history you can bust the Cheonggyecheon stream. This rain of water has been flowing since the Josean dynasty more than 600 years ago. You can go sit here and just relax as you hear the water run.Just like Seoul was unpopular so was the unfiltered rice wine which is now trending. You can have a taste at wolhyang. I found it very convenient that even though the menu is in Korean English speaking visitors can talk to English speaking employees who will better explain the menu. They sell spicy octopus and pancakes made from wild greens for about 8,000-10,000 won.To get a Korean style traditional home feel you should stay at Glad hotel. They have doubled for about 150,000 won. Seoul Korea is a beautiful city to visit if you want to see and learn about the Korean culture through housing, food, and activities. You get to learn history without knowing because they incorporate history into everything. I would recommend this place to someone who is interested in Korean fashion and foods. You can take a look at the Common Ground where they sell Korean fashion brands .Seoul got famous because of the fashion so why not go see. They sell women,men and kid designers.Noodles are a part of everyday Asian cuisine. At Woo Lae Oak you can eat buckwheat noodles which are made to order. They add beef,pears,cucumbers and cabbage. A bunch of tasty flavors topped off with beef broth for 30,000 won. This restaurant is known for their noodles. I would recommend 36 hours in Seoul.

#60325

Haydee T

Seoul in Korea is great place to visit. It started uncommon and unpopular but now is completely transformed. It has everything a tourist is looking for if they’re in for exploration and food. There are so many things to do such as museums, art galleries, and theatre shows. Theres also vast amounts of restaurants and cafes as well as street plazas full of different cuisines and food options. It is full of culture and tradition with local markets still having home made kimchi. It has a huge shopping district for shopping lovers of all kinds. Everything in Seoul is pretty reasonable in price even though the article describes prices in the local currency “won”, tourist would have to convert into dollars to see how much it’ll cost. As of lodging they seem to have two main hotels as the most popular with traditional Korean home like rooms and atmosphere. They range anywhere from $70-124 a night and are in the city’s central. Although the article doesn’t explain much about transportation it does mention that navigating through the city is helpful using a phone and that phone rentals are available at the LGUplus counter in the airport. Overall, I believe Seoul is a beautiful place to visit and would definitely recommend a tourist on going to explore, I actually am totally intrigued myself as though i never been but after reading this article i will definitely add it to my bucket list.

#60326

Haydee T

I agree completely with you Miriame on your post. I believe the chefs show is a great activity to do since its non verbal it definitely must be super intensive but super intriguing and i agree if you want to get to know a group of people a perfect way to start is through food. I personally love food so i would definitely be traveling around trying everything. I love the sound of the river and the fact that you can sit and feel like your one with nature is beautiful. To also have a non-popular item now trending must be super comforting for them since it hasn’t been for such a long time. I also agree and think is pretty cool that in the Wolhyang employees know how to speak english to better assist english speaking visitors who need help in menu options since its in Korean. I love the variety of activities and places to visit in Seoul and think its a great place to recommend a tourist to go visit.

#60333

kelvin

Seoul is a new thriving City because of Korean pop culture located in South Korea. I would recommend people traveling to Seoul because of its rich culture and Amazing modern activities. mostly the new generation of tourist like millennial’s and maybe even Gen Z will be interested in going to Seoul because the new kind of culture might be a bit too modern for older generations like baby boomers. Seoul has tons of activities like museums, K pop shows. There is also a lot of amazing street food which is popular in the younger generations. there is lots of fashion in the design district that will appeal to more modern tourist. Lastly it seems a trip to Seoul is extremely affordable with street food cuisine and a lot of affordable art shows this would be amazing and cost-effective plays to have an amazing time. the one concern I have is that the author mentions the 319-room Glad hotel and a 30-room Amas hotel and that’s it there should be more options or at least some with more rooms.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)