GOV 1101 American Government Fall 2015 Perez-Rios

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• My visit to the United Nation

CherylC
    Participant

My visit to the United Nation was very interesting and rewarding and educational. The United Nation was established in 1945 after World War 2. It is an organization with 193 sovereign states and there are 193 flags representing each state also. The United Nation work to promote respect for human rights, they work together to promote peace all over the world so as to avoid war whenever they can. In some cases they have been successful. I felt a sense of pride when I looked at all the flags and saw that my country was there. The UN has been doing a great job in helping millions of people all over the world. I learned that for the past 70 years the United Nation has achieved many things such as saving 3 million lives every year with vaccines therefore promoting better health for these people. They also provided food for more than 90 million people in many countries saving lives from starvation. When I entered the building I saw the pictures of all those that that served as the United Nation Secretary Generals from past to present. I was touched by some of the pictures that I saw. The pictures of children even though their country is in turmoil they have the joy of laughter and happiness, they have the ability to bounce back in spite of the tragedies they have suffered. I know that many have lost their love ones, some their entire family. There were teenagers that play soccer and some even dance to take their mind off the stress of facing each day with uncertainty. They are a ray of sunshine in a place that is over shadowed by war. I was surprised that so many UN workers lives was cut short by the earthquake that took place in Haiti in 2012. While there I saw that there was a conference in session, unfortunately we were unable to sit in and listen to their discussion. The United Nation is doing a great job in giving hope to millions of people all over the world and I hope they will continue to do so in many years to come.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.