FYLC – First Year Learning Communities

Coming into college after getting my GED meant everything to me. I had no intentions of playing around or wasting anymore of my precious time. Like most new coming students I had nothing but the biggest expectations for myself. I was going to join a lot of clubs, make a ton of friends and be this social butterfly but that all changed once i got past my first few weeks of classes. As assignments built up I started to isolate myself so that distractions were all the way behind me, I wanted nothing but to focus on doing my best in everything I attached my name too! I thought if I had friends maybe that would make it easier for me to get through my first semester but then I surprised myself with holding my own head and also becoming this fearless independent college freshman that might associate with people here and there but didn’t rely on anyone to keep me on my feet. The transition between high school and college was quite an easy concept to grasp at first because I figured the only difference was being able to come and go as I please and that the professors would not care about what you choose to do or choose not to do. I was wrong about that one. My English and Human Services professors showed me that although college is pretty much independent and based on what you need to do to keep your head above water there are a few people who do want to see you excel and do nothing but your best! They’re great!