Films from Literature ENG 2400

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Which Romeo and Juliet do you like/dislike?

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Yes, Jimcya,

The one we watched is the best version and the intense feelings between the two main characters feel very real.

Many students have told me it touched them very deeply, and often when we would watch it together in class (because that is how it was before the Covid-19 pandemic — I would watch things along with my students) I found myself tearing up when Romeo said his final words to Juliet.

If you think about it, some of the best love stories in movies end sadly.

I think if a movie can make you cry, it is just as successful as one that can make you laugh or think…

Anderson Uribe
    Participant

Response to reply #69501

I completed high school in the Dominican Republic. In college I’ve taken an exhaustive number of English courses, this one makes the 9th one; I’m including remedial courses like CLIP. I was asked to read and write about all kinds of books; my favorite was focused on detective stories. You should feel rather proud, Prof. Masiello. You managed to get me not only read but watch Romeo and Juliet. Like a mischievous child, I held a smug smile in my heart, believing I had gotten away with it. I will take your suggestion and watch Richard III (1995) when the semester is over.

Josue Manzueta
    Participant

a) Which of the film versions have you already seen?
    I have watched the 1996 film and the 2013 film

b) Which of the versions, based on the clips, do you feel works well or does not work? (the 1936 version deserves some attention and you will be grateful it is not the one we watch.)
    Although I enjoyed the new 2013 version in my opinion the 1968 and the 1996 versions worked best compared to the 2013 version.

c) Please explain why you answered pro or con for item b…
    I am pro the 1968 because of the way Romeo and Juliet slowly fall in love compared to the other versions for example in the 2013 film we know that Romeo and Juliet are going to kiss but there was less development leading to that kiss in terms of dialogue. What i did enjoy from the 1996 and 2013 film was the use of younger characters and it added more drama and modernization.

d) Which of the versions do you feel captures what the play is about?
    I believe that the 1968 film captures the essence of love the Shakespeare intended

afrina nishat
    Participant

a. I already saw the 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet.

b. I think 1968 version is much based on the clip and it was very playfull.

c. Romeo and Juliet is one of the best novel of Shakespeare. He wrote this novel to highlight an immortal love story. I think 1968 version is more real than any other version. This version was able to attracted the audience with its romance, tragedy and comic.

d. I think, 1968 version is more real than any other version like 1936, 1997 or 2013 with the play.

Ajay
    Participant

This discussion thread is taken from the pdf I emailed to you about work for weeks 9, 10, and 11

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=Romeo+and+Juliet+nondisc.mp4 (65 minutes)

“Called Romeo and Juliet nondisk,” this compilation shows various interpretations and film versions of this classic play.

For discussion:

a) Which of the film versions have you already seen? I have only watched the 1968 and 2011 versions of Romeo and Juliet. It has been a long time since I have last seen these films.

b) Which of the versions, based on the clips, do you feel works well or does not work? (the 1936 version deserves some attention and you will be grateful it is not the one we watch.)

I think the versions of Romeo and Juliet in 1968 works well and the 1936 of Romeo and Juliet doesn’t work well based on the clips works well because in 1968 of Romeo and Juliet Franco the actor’s reply retelling starred actresses. It’s still one of the most visually arresting film versions of “Romeo and Juliet,” and is regarded by many as the best all-time film adaptation. More so than other versions, actors were praised for capturing the earnest young romance between Juliet and Romeo, which is so difficult to convey correctly. “In the classic speeches, one begins to worry about diction and wish the modern would decrease and let Shakespeare play through,” wrote Fox 5 News of the New York Times. “But the scenes, the ball, the duels, are so beautifully thought out and staged that things I had not noticed the puppy play character of the duels at first become extraordinary, temporally present, and remote. But for the poetry, and the fine ancient dignity of Romeo and Juliet, the story could be taking place next door. It is the sweetest, the most contemporary romance on film this year.” In the 1936 of Romeo and Juliet this was quite charming and cute, and for once, the star-crossed lovers get a happy ending, seeing as a double suicide wouldn’t have been too appropriate for a family movie. In the tale of star-crossed garden gnomes, it’s their owners, who are bitter neighbors Mr. Capulet and Miss Montague, separated by an alley and a fence. The blue Montague Gnomes (that would be Gnome’s clan) have been taught to despise the red Capulet Gnomes, but Gnome and Juliet fall in love when she wanders out for a flower.

I answered pro for item b because I was more invested with the characters in the 1968 version. Since I wasn’t distracted by the actors in the newer version and I was far more absorbed

in the story. Both films rely on the dramatic structure and rich dialogue of Shakespeare. They both have elegant costumes, nice production design, and decent sword fights. Though, the casting is much better in the 1968 version, as the actors in the 1936 version were too old to play teenagers.

The versions I feel captures what the play is about is the 1968 version because there’s something about it that makes it very special. As a matter of fact, it’s the only movie that brings me joy and sadness at the same time. Firstly, this is the definitive version of Shakespeare’s play. This is the real stuff, this is how it was meant to be, bursting with life and passion. Everything seems perfect in it the sets, the colors and the lavish costumes, the music there’s so much to say about the exceptional score alone and the cast of course not only do we have incredibly realistic and top-notch performances by the two lead actors, but the rest of the cast, which is also very good. The extraordinary thing about the actors is that they looked just the way one would imagine Romeo and Juliet, pure, sweet and innocent. Whenever I hear talking about Romeo and Juliet, I can’t help thinking about them both. Another extraordinary thing is that the actors had other actresses in mind with blonde hair before he finally chose an actor after a second chance. He was extraordinarily inspired when he wrote this one. Considering all these elements, I think this movie is nothing short of a miracle. Granted, it’s an old movie and you can see it was shot in 1968. This doesn’t prevent it from being very emotionally powerful. I don’t think the actors could have given a more romantic and bitter interpretation of this unreal love story. He filmed the two leading actors with grace and sensitivity, and love has never been better indeed. Besides, I think he perfectly captured the heart of the play. What else can I say, I love this movie with all my heart, to me it’s a brilliant in a work of art. It has its own universe and it’s just mesmerizing.

Note: West Side Story changes the character names, but it is essentially the same story.

The Baz Luhrman/Leo DiCaprio version was updated to appeal to contemporary audiences.

The most recent version, from 2013, adds bits of dialog that are not in the play, but are “Shakespearean” in sound.

We will watch the best version, from 1968.

diana
    Participant

a) Which of the film versions have you already seen?
    The film version I have already seen is the 1996.
    b) Which of the versions, based on the clips, do you feel works well or does not work? (the 1936 version deserves some attention, and you will be grateful it is not the one we watch.)
    What I feel works best is the 1996 is better than the 1936 version and I am grateful that is not the one I watch.
    The film of 1968 version is better because its been upgrade more, more romance than the others, also have more action and the film how it expresses its wide angles and far close or up-close scenes. Also, the characters are attractive, and it really show they were together, and both look like real king and queens.
    The version that I really felt capture Romeo and Juliet and what is the play is about is the film of 1968 version. This film represents more than just the play because its about until death take us apart.

Salina Shrestha
    Participant

Before I watched the 1968 version, I had only seen parts of the 1996 Romeo + Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. So far my favorite one that stuck the closest to the play was the 1968 Romeo and Julie one. The 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet really give the feeling of the original play by Shakespeare. From the setting to the costumes and everything else just felt right on point with the time period. The 1968 truly captured what the play was about, they weren’t attempting to be modern with the times and stayed true Shakespeare’s writing. The modernization of the 1996 one threw me off and did not capture the true essence of the play.

Ajay
    Participant

a) Which of the film versions have you already seen? I have only watched the 1968 and 2011 versions of Romeo and Juliet. It has been a long time since I have last seen these films.

I think the versions of Romeo and Juliet in 1968 works well and the 1936 of Romeo and Juliet doesn’t work well based on the clips works well because in 1968 of Romeo and Juliet Franco the actor’s reply retelling starred actresses. It’s still one of the most visually arresting film versions of “Romeo and Juliet,” and is regarded by many as the best all-time film adaptation. More so than other versions, actors were praised for capturing the earnest young romance between Juliet and Romeo, which is so difficult to convey correctly. “In the classic speeches, one begins to worry about diction and wish the modern would decrease and let Shakespeare play through,” wrote Fox 5 News of the New York Times. “But the scenes, the ball, the duels, are so beautifully thought out and staged that things I had not noticed the puppy play character of the duels at first become extraordinary, temporally present, and remote. But for the poetry, and the fine ancient dignity of Romeo and Juliet, the story could be taking place next door. It is the sweetest, the most contemporary romance on film this year.” In the 1936 of Romeo and Juliet this was quite charming and cute, and for once, the star-crossed lovers get a happy ending, seeing as a double suicide wouldn’t have been too appropriate for a family movie. In the tale of star-crossed garden gnomes, it’s their owners, who are bitter neighbors Mr. Capulet and Miss Montague, separated by an alley and a fence. The blue Montague Gnomes (that would be Gnome’s clan) have been taught to despise the red Capulet Gnomes, but Gnome and Juliet fall in love when she wanders out for a flower.

I answered pro for item b because I was more invested with the characters in the 1968 version. Since I wasn’t distracted by the actors in the newer version and I was far more absorbed

in the story. Both films rely on the dramatic structure and rich dialogue of Shakespeare. They both have elegant costumes, nice production design, and decent sword fights. Though, the casting is much better in the 1968 version, as the actors in the 1936 version were too old to play teenagers.

The versions I feel captures what the play is about is the 1968 version because there’s something about it that makes it very special. As a matter of fact, it’s the only movie that brings me joy and sadness at the same time. Firstly, this is the definitive version of Shakespeare’s play. This is the real stuff, this is how it was meant to be, bursting with life and passion. Everything seems perfect in it the sets, the colors and the lavish costumes, the music there’s so much to say about the exceptional score alone and the cast of course not only do we have incredibly realistic and top-notch performances by the two lead actors, but the rest of the cast, which is also very good. The extraordinary thing about the actors is that they looked just the way one would imagine Romeo and Juliet, pure, sweet and innocent. Whenever I hear talking about Romeo and Juliet, I can’t help thinking about them both. Another extraordinary thing is that the actors had other actresses in mind with blonde hair before he finally chose an actor after a second chance. He was extraordinarily inspired when he wrote this one. Considering all these elements, I think this movie is nothing short of a miracle. Granted, it’s an old movie and you can see it was shot in 1968. This doesn’t prevent it from being very emotionally powerful. I don’t think the actors could have given a more romantic and bitter interpretation of this unreal love story. He filmed the two leading actors with grace and sensitivity, and love has never been better indeed. Besides, I think he perfectly captured the heart of the play. What else can I say, I love this movie with all my heart, to me it’s a brilliant in a work of art. It has its own universe and it’s just mesmerizing.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.