Films from Literature ENG 2400

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Sept 11th Classwork Sexual Symbolism

Virginia Sanchez
    Participant

Presentation “Cinema II f20.avi”
    a. Name three different things you feel you learned.
    Some things I learned while watching the presentation is the “Non Diegetic” editing style, “Party Lines”, and finally how common mirrors were in entertainment culture.
    b. Mention something you liked about the presentation.
    The section on mirrors was enjoyable because I realized how many creative ideas could be achieved with a mirror along with its myths and tropes.
    c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    Why were party lines created?

Presentation “Sexual Symbolism.avi.”
    d. Name two or three different things you feel you learned.
    I’d seen some of the movies in the presentation and was surprised to see phallic symbols I hadn’t noticed before such as the alien scene using phallic symbols to hint a female alien approaching, the scene in lolita with the dog, and the symbol used in Superman.
    e. Mention something you liked about the presentation.
    I had some basic understanding of symbolism in films but the presentation opened a whole new vocabulary for me.
    f. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.
    What was one of the first films to use phallic symbols?

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Virginia,

The first use of phallic imagery I can find is in the silent movie Birth of a Nation. Here is an article about it and others since then:

Between you, me, and the bedpost

As for telephone “party lines,” you can Google them. I suppose it had to do with the demand for home phones and not enough technology to support having separate numbers — long ago. It was a device made use of in stories; I do not know anyone who ever had one in actual life.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.