Films from Literature ENG 2400

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• First Day's work responses Aug. 27, 2020

Anderson Uribe
    Participant

1a. A novel is a narrative that delves into the human experience creatively. As oppose to poems, novels are written in regular language (prose) and are over 40,000 words in length.
    1b. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card is an example of a novel
    2a. A play is a written drama, normally written to be performed live by actors in a theater stage. These live performances are referred to as productions.
    2b. Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee is an example of a play

CINEMA TERMS

3. Video editing is making changes to a video source. The source can have portions deleted, rearranged, joined with other sources and more. Audio can also be modified during editing. Thus, Film editing is the process of video editing shots of a film. These shots are the video sources that when edited together create the film.
    4a. Symbolism is when a thing represents something else.
    4b. For example, if we consider the color white, it can represent peace. Thus, the color white is a symbol for peace.
    5a. I will bundle the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin into one book as one of my favorite works of literature.
    5b. I loved the world created by Ursula and the character of Ged as he journeyed from youthful recklessness to wise adult. The first English book I read when I arrived from the Dominican Republic was Harry Potter, this trilogy was the second and best. I used it to exponentially improve my reading skills and vocabulary.
    6a. Jojo Rabbit by Taika Waititi is one of my favorite films.
    6b. Jojo Rabbit’s satiric interpretation of the Nazi Germany is fascinating. The film sparks laughter, tears and anger during its 1h 48m runtime. The audience is persuaded to appreciate Hitler, who is there for Jojo during hard times as his imaginary friend. Yet, we know who Hitler is. It is a fun and interesting film.

PRESENTATION

A. Name three things that you learned in the presentation.
    1. The language used in movies can have tremendous effect on the audience and can become a good representation of the times. “That’s mighty white of you…” what a strange phrase!
    2. One-shot takes can be very useful as setup and can increase engagement.
    3. I was surprised at the extreme edits made to films for TV vs theatrical releases. In Dressed to Kill, I felt that not having seen the woman’s true death changed the emotional intensity of the film. The killer becomes truly wicket if we see the true death.

B. Name at least one thing you liked in the presentation.
    1. I liked seeing the sociocultural evolution when contrasting the older films to more recent ones shown in the presentation.
    2. It was fun seeing the variety of styles in cinematography, such as edits and camera angles.
    3. This presentation demonstrated pacing through various examples. Recently Netflix announced that they would allow playback speed changes in their videos, which created quite a bit of controversy and one of the reasons was that pacing would be broken.

C. Ask at least one question about the content of the presentation.
    1. Why do films adapting plays have more dialogue than original films?
    2. Do directors expect most of audiences to know what their usage of color mean?

LITERARY TERMS TO KNOW

1a). Metaphor: Figurative speech, or ambiguous use of words to express multiple meanings.
    b) Example of Metaphor: “I am a night owl” to mean I have more energy at night.
    2a) Alliteration: The repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of words or stressed syllables.
    b) Example of alliteration: “Pretty as a picture.”
    3a) Personification: Abstracting an object by giving it human qualities. Example, “Since I’m a night owl, my alarm screams at me in the morning.”
    4a) Parallelism: The use of the same pattern of words for two or more ideas that have the same level of importance. It allows for better organization in writing that readers can more easily understand.
    b) Example of parallelism: “The country explained when the cleanup would begin, and it would be funded by a referendum” is better written with parallelism as “the country explained when the cleanup would begin and how it would be funded.”

Edselt
    Participant

1a) What is a novel?
    A novel is any literary work that is more than 200 pages and is fiction.

b) Provide an example: PLEASE UNDERLINE ITS TITLE
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

2a) What is a play?
    A play is literature that mainly consists of dialogue between characters and is intended to be recreated for entertainment.

b) Name one: PLEASE UNDERLINE THE TITLE
    Hamlet by William Shakespear

CINEMATIC TERMS:
    3 What is film editing?
    Film editing, the old term, was meant to splice film together in order to create a sequence or continuity for a film. Presently, the concept is the same but done digitally with more effects being used to add to the film.

4a) Define symbol (or symbolism)
    A symbol is an object, letter, sign or something else that is used to represent an idea, another object, etc.

b) Provide an example:
    Colors are a great example of symbols. Red could be used to represent love, danger or more.

5a) Name one of your favorite works of literature or writers.
    Strange Weather by Joe Hill

b) Why do you like this story or this writer?
    Joe Hill is one of my favorite writers mainly due to how he writes fiction. All of his books have a sense of realism that I’d normally don’t get out of fiction books. He utilizes real places, things normal people would do, but then involves an unusual problem to the main protagonist.

6a) Name one of your favorite films or movie directors.
    Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond

b) Why do you like this movie or this director?
    This is one of my favorite documentaries I’ve seen. To me it did a wonderful job on giving you an insight on Jim Carry’s method acting to become Andy Kaufman. As well as showing how serious and far Jim is willing to go to portray his characters.

Christopher Lobato
    Participant

1a) Define metaphor
    A metaphor is a literary device in which a comparison is made between two objects to point out a similarity. The two objects can be unrelated
    b) Provide an example:
    “Heather’s personality is an icy tundra.” In this case, the metaphor is drawing a comparison between the person’s personality and icy tundra. Therefore, bringing attention that similar qualities can be attributed to both things.
    2a) Define alliteration
    Alliteration is when the words in a phrase share the same sounds or first letter. Alliteration is used to draw attention to a relation between the words or to add rhythm.
    b) Provide an example:
    “Daniel dared dance.” Each word in the phrase starts with the consonant “D” and have a similar sound.
    3a) Define Personification
    Personification is the act of giving something non-human, human-like qualities.
    Provide an example:
    “The moon fled at the crack of dawn.” In this case, the moon cannot flee, but it’s given this quality to provide imagery of the moon going away in the morning.
    4a) Define parallelism or parallel wording in writing
    Parallelism is the use of words or phrases that are similar in structure that support each other or an idea. These words or phrases are grouped and used consecutively to show that they are equal in value.
    b) provide an example
    “He is a lying, conniving, and arrogant individual.” In this case, the three adjectives used are parallel and showing that these are equal qualities that can be used to describe this horrible person.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Your answers are correct. Note, that a metaphor does not use “like” or “as.” If it did, it would be called a simile: “The new puppy looked like a tiny toy.”

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Thanks for your interesting replies.

As for calling a symbol a sign, that is not accurate. A sign it just a sign, like an exit sign. A symbol is what it is but also represents something else, like a heart meaning love.

Jimcya
    Participant

A novel is an extensive literary work that narrates events that may or may not be fictional.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

A play is a dramatic representation consisting of dialogues between the characters, for which it lacks narrations, which can combine speeches, gestures, music, dances, and other forms of artistic expression.

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry.

Film editing is both a creative and a technical part of the post-production process of film making.

The different forms of expression that use symbols to represent ideas and facts are known as symbolism.

Peacocks. They represented beauty and vanity.

“Harry Potter”, the series (JK Rowling, 1997-2007)

I like and enjoy Harry Potter because it describes the adventures of a brave young man who is also an apprentice of magic and sorcery Harry Potter and his best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, during their time at Hogwarts School (in which they taught sorcery and magic) They go through different adversities but always working as a team helping each other. However, the argument focuses on the fight between Harry Potter and the evil character Lord Voldemort, who murdered Harry’s parents just to want to conquer the magical world, all this shows us that it is very important to never give up, and also leaves us a reflection as it reflects current reality, touching on issues such as romances, friends, school life, relationships between teachers and students, showing realistic fiction.

Jimcya
    Participant

A metaphor is an expression related to a particular object or idea but applied to another word or phrase to imply that there is a similarity between them.

Your eyes are two emeralds.

Alliteration is a rhetorical figure of diction that consists of the repetition of one or more sounds within the same word or phrase.

Rodrigo walks towards the mine looking at the landscape.

Personification is a representation of a thing in the form of a person, generally of a feeling or of another abstract or immaterial thing.

The moon was smiling at her and that made her feel even happier.

Parallelism is the repetition of the same pattern of words or phrases in a sentence or passage to show that two or more ideas are equally important.

Yesterday we wept over his absence. Today we mourn for his return.

diana
    Participant

1a) Metaphor is a phrase where you are saying that one thing is another. It’s used to compare things that aren’t alike but have something in common.

1b) Provide an example:
    “Life is a roller coaster”

2a. Define Alliteration
    Alliteration it’s like a repetition of the first consonant sounds in several words, it’s a literary device where the words begin with the same sound.

2b. Provide an example:
    Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

3a) Define Personification
    Personification is attribution of personal qualities. Is a figure speech in which a thing or idea and an animal is given human attributes.

3b) Provide an example:
    Lightning danced across the sky

4a) Define parallelism
    Parallelism means use of components in sentences and balancing two or more ideas or arguments that are equally grammatically the same of sound or meaning.

4b) Provide an example
    “ She likes cooking, jogging, and reading.” “She likes to cook, jog, and read.”

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.