Films from Literature ENG 2400

• Did you notice something? Please explain...
  • #69500

Prof. Masiello

Please watch this 56 minute compilation in order to respond:

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=Religious+2020.avi

You will be surprised at the wide range of films with “religious” connotations, including many popular films that you have probably seen.

Then post some replies to the following:

A) How do you feel about using religious imagery in non-religious movies?

B) Before our course started many weeks ago, had you ever watched any films in which you realized or felt that there was something religious being shown?

If so, please explain which film(s) are relevant.

C) Within the compilation were there any films that you had already watched and now are surprised there was something “spiritual” being shown, something you had not noticed before?

Please explain which film(s).

D) Were there any film clips that you particularly liked? If so, please explain why.

#69617

Anderson Uribe

It is an easy symbolism to use, and thus it is overused, especially crucifixion poses. Perhaps at one point it was smart and inspiring, but not anymore. Many times, it is forcefully added to the film without relevance to the story.

Yes. The Matrix Trilogy has plenty of religious symbolism. For instance, the last film has Neo die and taken away by the machines while he is in crucifixion pose. In this case, it was relevant to the story, as he was sacrificing himself for Zion, the human colony.

The Titanic scene with Rose and Jack at the bow of the ship is one scene in the presentation that I did not consider religious. After having watched many crucifixion poses, I cannot help but think that perhaps this one also had religious connotations. I do not see that pose as natural. In that case, it either meant she was flying, or something related to her was to be sacrificed, such as her wealth to gain love and freedom of choice.

I liked the banquet scenes. I had never seen them before. Viridiana’s clip presented a smart twist on that symbolism.

#69619

Prof. Masiello

Anderson,

I will check the Neo scene in the third Matrix film. Thanks for the reminder and for your responses.

As for Viridiana, you have an advantage over me because I do not understand what is being said in Spanish. I do know that right after the segment I showed, it continues with a rather vulgar gesture from someone not seated at the long table.

#69684

Jennifer Apuango

*I feel that when films apply religious imagery is to produce the most thoughtful rumination on religion quality and faults.

*”Spider Man 3″, has something religious and faithful. In the scene where Parker gets really worried about the dark suit effect and at that moment he notice the cross on top of the church steeple. He perches on the steeple and then under the shadow of the tolling church bell, he peels away the clinging parasite that had enclosed him the powerful black suit.

*In “Spider Man 2”, where he had his arms wide spread out trying to reduce the speed of the train before approaching to the end of the line. Which Parker was doing the crucifixion pose and he was willing to sacrifice himself to save those people who were in the train. The devout reactions of the people makes it seem to be spiritual and religious.

*I liked the film “El Topo” because as the women in black betrays and fires upon him, he stands with his arms wide spread and accepts the attack. Shot after shot he staggers once again into the crucifixion pose.

#69689

Prof. Masiello

Thanks, Jennifer. It sounds like you are a Spider-Man fan!

#69704

Christopher Lobato

Religious imagery like sexual imagery is something that a lot of people can resonate with because they are such a large part of our lives and have existed for so long. While sex is more centered around passion, emotion, and biological urges, religion is perhaps more intellectual in its employment as a symbol because it relates to something much larger than just us, such as omniscient beings, faith, morals. I think religious symbolism is brilliant when used in movies to get the idea of martyrdom across, but I think it’s a bit overused in the horror genre, and as a result, a lot of horror films begin to feel the same. However, I still do enjoy movies like The Exorcist and The Conjuring despite this. The only problem I somewhat see with it is that using one religion to represent “good” can be alienating. Depending on the culture from which the film stems may also affect what type of religious symbols are employed, which is why Christian symbols are the most prevalent symbols used in films, but this can be polarizing. I grew up learning Christian beliefs as it was what my parents grew up learning. However, as I got older, the practice of religion became less a part of my life, but I still learned to value different religions and faiths as a whole. So maybe this is why I’m mostly indifferent to the predominance of Christian symbols. Overall, I think religious symbols can be entertaining and thought-provoking if used well and sparingly.

B) Before our course started many weeks ago, had you ever watched any films in which you realized or felt that there was something religious being shown? If so, please explain which film it was in.
    When I first read the prompt before watching the compilation, the first thing that came to mind was Superman and that scene from Spiderman 2, so I was happy to see that both were in the compilation. There are an endless amount of examples I could think of in which I thought there was religious imagery used in the film. However, the most interesting one I could think of was an animated film I watched as a result of a trip I took to Japan.

The film is called End of Evangelion and is a part of a series named Neon Genesis Evangelion, which aired in 1995 in Japan but is still commercialized and used on various products in the country(I found out about it because it was on ads everywhere). On the surface, it’s a lot of flashy animation and is representative of the giant robots craze of the time, but under it all, it has a lot of Christian symbolism. The name of the villains, the relationships of the characters, and the name of the series are among the many things that suggest religious connotations; additionally, the film also uses a lot of cross imagery throughout the film that gives it an eerie feeling. One example is towards the end of the film, in which bright crosses appear during an event in the film that parallels The Second Coming of Christ depicted in Christianity. What most surprised me about this was that in my time in Japan, I saw how Shinto and Buddhist beliefs were a large part of the culture, so seeing allusions to Christianity despite being less practiced there was interesting. It is even more intriguing to think about when comparing it to other popular films there like, those of Hayao Miyazaki, which incorporate more Shinto/nature-like imagery instead. The film is a bit niche, but I can certainly see why it became so popular there.

C) Within the compilation were there any films that you had already watched and now are surprised there was something “spiritual” being shown, something you had not noticed before? Please explain which film(s).
    The one that surprised me was the clip from King Kong, but the line the presenter says, “He was a king and a god in the world he knew…” makes the connection now seem self-evident.

As I mentioned above, I liked that there was an entire section dedicated to Superman. He does seem like one of the more evident examples of Religious symbolism. However, I found it very interesting that they implicitly suggest he’s Christian in Man of Steel by having small details like the cross necklace Martha Kent wears.

Another clip I liked was from The Truman Show. This film is interesting because it also uses a lot of different POV shots that look omniscient and helps suggest that Truman is being watched or, in this case, filmed. Additionally, the roles and relationship of the Producer and Truman also reflect those of God and Christ. The show’s producer controls the show and is a lot like Truman’s father despite Truman never getting to know him physically, and Truman is like a messiah since he changes the lives of those who watch him, and they come to depend on his existence. I remember enjoying watching it, and I am glad it was in the compilation.

However, one clip I had never seen before but found intriguing was the clip from Tommy. From the clip, what I could ascertain was that it was using religious imagery to parody those who value or worship celebrities like Marilyn Monroe and things like physical beauty above other things. I’m not sure if this is correct, and I would likely need more context, but if this is the case, I think it was one of the more creative ways to employ religious symbolism. A lot of the examples shown in the compilation relate good things with religion, but this clip seems to be satirical, which is why I liked it.

#69706

Virginia Sanchez

I like the use of religious imagery in films that are not inherently religious themselves. I believe it adds more to the films, explaining what is going on in a particular scene without dialogue. By using imagery with established historical meaning most of the audience would be able to understand what may not have been obvious before.

B) Before our course started many weeks ago, had you ever watched any films in which you realized or felt that there was something religious being shown? If so, please explain which film(s) are relevant.
    I haven’t watched the film in its entirety but the live-action adaption of the manga Death Note, and in the series as well, there is religious imagery/symbolism. In the film, a demon named Ryuk reveals his favorite human food is apples saying they’re an addiction for him similar to that of cigarettes for humans.

In Christian religious works, Adam and Eve ate an apple from the forbidden tree in the garden of Eden. The apple is believed to symbolize temptation and sin.

I hadn’t realized before there was religious imagery in The Graduate or in Watchmen so it was a nice surprise to see. Looking at the particular scenes in the context of the video made the imagery obvious and I wondered how I hadn’t noticed before.

I enjoyed the clip from The Green Mile. The idea the convict was watching his first film, describing the actors as angels made the scene very touching to me.

#69711

Prof. Masiello

Christopher,

It is curious indeed that the movie industry has always leaned towards Christian symbols, even with Jewish directors like Steven Spielberg (E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind); Stuart Rosenberg (Cool Hand Luke); and Bryan Singer (Superman Returns).

As for the movie Tommy, I recommend it. It is quite unusual since, as a “rock opera,” the entire film is sung, not spoken, and is essentially about the worship of celebrity. Tommy becomes a messiah in people’s minds and there is the song “See Me, Feel Me / Listening to You,” to help make the point.

#69712

Prof. Masiello

Virginia,

I enjoyed your replies and am happy to know you have a substantial background in good movies!

#69719

afrina nishat

A. Religious imagery using in Non-religious movies when the story needs religious view. Sometimes religious imagery makes the movie more truthful and attractive.

B. Yes. I saw a Hindi film ” Toilet” . In this movie Indian one of the best actor Akshay Kumar was the leading character. He lived in a village where people were not believed in home toilet for women. So women had to go to a garden in the early morning for their daily urination and excretion. So, the leading character when married, he observed that his wife also went to a garden. Then he took a step to make toilet in his house where his father was the religious leader of the village.

C. The movie Avatar promotes pantheism and nature worship. It also give the audiences a spiritual experience by its hyper environmentalism and world view of evolution. when i first saw the movie i feel like i was in the another world where human can fly it reminds me about haven where we can do anything whatever we want.

D. Avatar movies ” seeds of Sacred tree” scene I liked because it shows us seeds, trees, animals, insects, water, leaves are all part of the web of life. Everything is alive , conscious and interconnected.

#69791

Ajay

I feel it is a great idea about using religious imagery in non- religious movies because the world is hungry for accuracy, truth and experience. I think Americans found relief from the grind of daily life in the glamour of Hollywood films. Today, as more Americans sit alone in coffee shops navigating social media an activity that often feels anti-social, movies can provide what we lack today which is spiritual elevation and a sense of community. It says, “we are one, and when we love together, believe together, and work together, God will respond.” The questioner might argue that films have simply found a way to capitalize on our need for together in increasingly divided times. But surely any trend that provides a ray of hope, with a message of healing and cooperation, should be welcomed. If the success of films is any indicator, many Americans in 2019 are learning and ready for that kind of miracle.

If so, please explain which film(s) are relevant. I have watched War of the Planet of the Apes, Life of Pi, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Nymphomaniac: Part 2, and Pulp Fiction. I felt there was something religious being shown by the single most powerful tool film has over any other medium is telling stories through picture. Films intertwine metaphors with the images and placing essence messages throughout the film. With this practice, religious imagery has entered films countless times in our lifetime.

Please explain which film(s). The films that I have watched and that are now surprising there was something “spiritual “being shown, something I had not noticed before was Life of Pi and Pulp Fiction. In the Life of Pi film, the themes of these religions are sprinkled throughout, and you can draw upon them as you may. Within the rest of the film there are Biblical scenes like the whale and the flying fish. The main one though is his belief in his faith, has him survive as he is stranded in the expanse of sea with a hungry tiger. It’s similar of Daniel and the lion’s den story. The only thing that kept him alive was his faith in his God and that was the same for Pi. The tiger in this case was kept at bay and he did eventually reach safety. In the Pulp Fiction film, the religion aspect has nothing to do with the Ezekiel speech, which isn’t a direct recital of the actual Bible verse, but rather what happens after it. After Jules and Vincent kills their target, the hiding thug comes to avenge his friend’s death. He completely misses from point blank range and Jules takes notice of that. Jules calls it a Divine Intervention. He believes that God stepped in and diverted the bullets. This later causes him to leave his life of crime for one of the straight and narrow.

There were film clips that I particularly liked in the ending scene in the War of the Planet of the Apes film. In a nutshell, the ending scene is Caesar, the main ape, leading his people to the promised land. They escape oppression and slavery from the main antagonist, just as how in the Bible Moses leads the Israelite’s to the promised land from the confinement of the Egyptian Pharaoh. If you haven’t seen the film, please do so because I highly recommend for everybody to see this film, the film was amazing from the start to the finish. Also, I liked the film clips from the movie Nymphomaniac: Part 2 because this film has images of lust throughout, which you can tell from the title of the film. However, has a specific reference to it being a deadly sin. I also was amazed tt the end of the film, which the old man which the heroine was retelling her life story to, tries to use her to lose his virginity. Even though she has slept with many people she doesn’t like his gesture and she kill him. His lust literally leads to his death.

#69943

Jimcya

A) Religious images allow movies to have a unique mystery, besides that they end up being an art.

B)The chronicles of Narnia is one of my favorite films that has medieval philology, spirituality, science fiction and adventures in these films something religious is projected. The seven novels that make up The Chronicles of Narnia illustrate such transparent Christianity. For the chronicles, as Narnia is a world of talking beasts, I thought I would represent it as a talking beast. The lion is supposed to be the king of the beasts, in this case Christ is the Lion.

C) Aslan the lion that clearly evokes Jesus Christ, who gives his life in sacrifice, dying voluntarily at the hands of the White Witch in exchange for rescuing the soul of one of the leading children, who had been tempted and seduced by the Witch. But after Aslan’s death comes his resurrection.

#69951

diana

1. I feel like about using religious imagery in non-religious movies are faith-based themes or one of those films that are mirror biblical messages.
    2. Soul surfer was based on true story of faith, family and fighting to get back on the board by Bethany Hamilton when a shark bite of whole arm. In the beginning of movie, we see her and her family attending a Christian church with a choir. Bethany could not attend to a trip to Mexico to help people in need but only donate things because she had to continue her training. The training was when she bites by a shark.
    3. I did not know soul surfer was religious and was surprise about how they were scenes that about god. I was thought, movies like these are about telling stories of miracles or lesson learn. When Bethany did not attend the first trip there was tsunami in Taiwan and Bethany went when she had only one are but going their help her figure out that is not always about winning the competition of surfing. When Bethany helps this little kid being on the water and learning how to surf. The little boy feared the water because he sacred of it and what just happen to his country. When the people saw this little boy is not afraid of water, they join him.
    4. One of the film clips that I particular like was when Bethany goes and get another last wave, how magical the wave came towards but able to go through it like waterfall. She knew that moment she was special surfer and does not regret what happened with the accident of the shark.

#69973

Salina Shrestha

A) How do you feel about using religious imagery in non-religious movies? Sometimes I feel like it is necessary to further a plot or just used as symbolism to give a scene or plot a deeper meaning but in the end I don’t feel like it’s important to have religion involved in films.

I watched, Midsommar last year and the entire movie created atmosphere revolving around religion, even it it was a made up one.

I watched Cool Hand Luke when I was a kid but I never really paid attention to the obvious the scenes with him posing like Jesus Christ.

I liked the clip of Horror of Dracula, The usage of the cross had became a weapon to ward off vampires and has been used in a lot of vampire movies later on with the same effect.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)