Films from Literature ENG 2400

• Cinematic Techniques last two compilations
  • #69879

Prof. Masiello

These are the last two parts of a four-part presentation on cinematic techniques.

We will call this one Cinema III.

Please answer the following questions for discussion:

a. Name three different things you feel you learned.

b. Mention something specific you liked about the presentation.

c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation.

d. Are there any films mentioned that you now want to watch? If so, which ones?

We will call this one Cinema IV

(Just in case the above links do not work after a couple of tries and some patience since they are large files, use this link to find them:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0 )

#69904

,

Cinema III.
    Some things I learned were the types of wipe transition there are like the barndoor wipe, horizontal wipe, clock wipe, and iris wipe.
    My favorite type of transition was in Frankenstein meets Wolfman 1943, the lapse dissolve was very effective and realistic.
    I didn’t realize how Lighting was used subliminally. The fact that women would be “glamour lit” or soft-lit, while the men were dimly lit, showed how strong they were. It wasn’t something that I realized while watching films.
    In your personal opinion, Which of these transitions are the least and most effective to you Professor?
    Id want to watch The exorcist 1973, it’s my all-time favorite. But a film that looked interesting was Femme Fatale.

We will call this one Cinema IV
    Sound design, Dubbing, nondiegetic and diegetic uses of music.
    In Noth by northwest 1959, How there’s no music or talking except the climax is effective in catching the audience’s attention.
    The sixth sense, The dark knight.

#69909

Anderson Uribe

Cinematic III

1. Glamour lighting minimizes facial shadows. This sounds obvious, but I normally paid attention to the hair and eyes shine.
    2. Men’s darker shadows subliminally suggest greater strength. This is true, especially in contrast with the soft looking women at their side. Men look rougher. Lighting is a powerful technique, although I suppose that is not a surprise considering how heavily we rely on our eyes.
    3. Low eyelighting shadows used to represent monsters. This gave me an “aha” moment.

I like and have a preference for audio transitions. However, the transition for Maria in West Side Story was the most artistic and interesting of the ones shown.

The usage of lighting to accentuate features sometimes goes unnoticed. Charlie Chaplin’s face for example. I always thought it was the make-up that made him look that white, but now know the lighting is involved as well. Of course, glamour make-up can be quite obvious at times because of the contrast with those around the actress.

By the way, I did not notice the mother’s teeth in Psycho until it was pointed out in one of the transition clips!

Why were Technicolor films not immediately adopted as the standard? Too difficult / costly to apply?

Some like it hot
    -I have wanted to watch Charlie Chaplin films for a while, and I have not yet done so.
    Gentlemen prefer blondes
    Interview with the vampire
    Detour
    -I was curious about the one with the psychotic lady who lets a young guy drawn, throws herself down the stairs and poisons herself. Why do all this? I’m afraid the name is missing for this one.
    Singin’ in the Rain; “RRRRRound vowels” I remember from one of the presentations we watched.
    Ted

————————————————————————-

Cinematic IV

1. Removing sound is an effective tool to create engagement in film.
    2. Creative music can completely alter the viewer’s perception of the scene. For example, Psycho without the iconic soundtrack feels significantly less intense.
    3. Music at the end of film create finality. Since endings in a film are very important in determining the audience’s ultimate response to the it, the selected soundtrack aids in improving this response.

I appreciated when music was selectively removed. We, as viewers, are so used to soundtrack in film that when it is removed, it creates an organic emotive response purely from what is happening on the screen.

Do directors use a specific framework that can be studied to decide when to use sound or do they use experience from other films and personal choice? Perhaps all three?

Akira
    My Fair Lady
    Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

#69930

Virginia Sanchez

Cinema III

I hadn’t known to create the effect in the film Frankenstein meets the Wolfman makeup artists and crew members had to go through such a tedious process. According to the presentation, makeup would be applied to the actor slowly with a photo being taken after every application. This process paired with the “lapse dissolve” technique created a really great and believable effect.
    Another technique I had learned in the presentation is “Glamour lighting”. I had always noticed the women in old films looked more “airbrushed” than other characters but I hadn’t known how they created such an effect. After watching the presentation I understand “Glamour lighting” uses a “high key” fill light to erase unflattering facial shadows. I believe this technique is used a lot in social media as well as film.
    An interesting point brought up in the presentation was the idea darker shadows subliminally suggest greater strength. This is partially why men receive such harsh lighting while women receive the opposite. I had never really thought about it in that way but I can see why and how this would work.

I really enjoyed the effect they created in West Side Story with Maria. As Maria spins in excitement she is overlapped with copies of her in different colors which transitions into other fingers spinning red. I thought this scene was very beautiful.

Who was it that first thought of combining stop motion with film?

I’d like to watch Metropolis and Pleasantville

Cinema IV

Through the presentation, I learned
    -The terms diegetic and non-diegetic.
    -The importance of sound and imagery in creating an iconic scene.
    -Ambient sounds of trains or otherwise can be used to create tension in a scene.

In the film Raging Bull, I liked how animal sounds effects were used for scenes most wouldn’t think of. It was interesting to see.

How do you go about choosing films and scenes for these presentations?

I’d like to see Cabaret, I have been eyeing it for a while.

#69949

Christopher Lobato

Cinema III
    I learned how lighting is used to imply things about characters, such as monsters having low lighting and shadows around the eyes, Men having darker faces, and glamour lighting use for women to emphasize their face faces.

I also learned about some of the earlier uses of makeup for effects, like Frankenstein Meets Werewolf or Night of the Living Dead. The latter doesn’t hold up as much today, but the former is impressive for its use of dissolve to reproduce the effect of transforming.

The third thing I learned about was the progression of colors in the film. It is quite interesting to think about how it was a progressive change and how many films still opted to use black and white over color. However, the introduction of color opened up new possibilities for establishing mood and getting messages across to the audience.
    I enjoyed the section about animation and CGI; I think it’s a wondrous technique, especially when used with Performance capture. The inclusion of stop motion animation was also great. I feel like many people forget about this technique due to the improvement of CGI animation. However, I will say that since stop motion animation films have physical sets, things like lighting are much easier to capture and can look much more realistic. With CGI animation, especially in early CGI films, the lighting can look awkward because it doesn’t have many of the same effects as a real light, like bouncing and refracting. Nonetheless, I think it is great that CGI has noticeably improved over the years.
    c. Ask at least one question that now comes to mind about this presentation
    It seems like film noir dealt with some heavy themes and topics even in its earliest films. Did any of these films suffer from censorship or controversy as a result?
    I’d like to look more into film noir, so a film like Laura is towards the top of my list(Maltese Falcon was not in the presentation but I’d like to watch it as well). As I’ve also never seen the original Blade Runner from 1982, I’d like to compare this neo-noir film to a classic film noir, so this is why I chose these two.
    Cinema IV
    The use of diegetic music creates realism because we can know the music we are hearing is also the music that the characters are hearing.

Music is a great way to suggest plot points and reflect a character’s actions or emotions; in Moonlight, the use of “Hello Stranger” is supposed to be romantic and build anticipation. It’s incredibly impactful because Chiron says something like “you don’t know me” to his old friend before this scene.

Also, as impactful as music can be, so can be silence in films. A mixture of silence and subtle sounds can create tension.
    I liked seeing some of the examples of diegetic music within films. It was interesting to see how directors inserted a music source to make the scene seem natural.
    Has sound design become easier due to improvements in technology, or has it stayed the same? Maybe current technologies allow for a wider variety of sound to be created.
    I want to watch West Side Story and Dr. Strangelove because it’s a Stanley Kubrick film. I’ll probably watch Saturday Night Fever since I’ve watched a couple of other movies John Travolta was in(Carrie and Grease).

#69950

Jennifer Apuango

Cinema III

1. Most visual and aural storytelling techniques have no equivalent in written literature and became an additional language by which filmmaker tell a story in conjunction with the dialog in their screenplays.
    2. Black and white cinematography remained the standard with more color films made each decade until the 1960’s when color became the new norm.
    3. Some classical black and white films have been computer “colorized” to attract new viewers in the home video market.

*Something I liked about was glamour lighting use high key fill light to erase facial shadows on beautiful women and adds shine to hair and spark in eyes. Compare to classical horror film lighting uses low lighting or abnormal eye highlights for a dead eye look.m

* Which film do you like the most?

*Interview with the vampire
    *Rebel without a clause

Cinema IV

*Sound- Rubbing and Lip Synching
    *Music- Diegetic an Nondiegetic
    *Cross language dubbing often sounds flat and looks unnatural

* In 127 hours, to dramatize the expected arm breaking of a man trapped between rocks, the director used a gunshot sound for the bone breaking sound effect, which got my attention.

* How do actors create the same emotion during sound dubbing sessions?

* Cruel Intentions
    * Kill Bill: Vol.1

#69959

diana

These are the last two parts of a four-part presentation on cinematic techniques. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=Cinema+III+f20.avi
    We will call this one Cinema III. Please answer the following questions for discussion:
    Three different things I feel I learned is transition of techniques how it shows past present and future. Another is clock wipe using a wipe two lines oriented from the center of the frame. I also learned is that dissolve create a simple transition between scenes. Another is that I learned is that actors who meant to be attractive, there are only colored contact lenses without the need for low eye lighting.
    What I like about the presentation is that every character as vampire, zombie or character who is covered with make up that metaphorically monstrous, with the classic low angle eye lighting usually reserved for actual monsters.

One question that now comes to mind about the presentation is that every horror movie or wolf, vampire and Zombie use low eye lighting and why?
    We will call this one Cinema IV Please answer the following questions for discussion:
    Three different things I feel I learned that other films from different language is a cross language dubbing often sounds flat and looks unnatural. But other animated films from Japan are match to the mouth movements of their native Japanese Another is that I learned American animated films English lip synchronization accurately matches mouth movements and based on voice actors of the mouth positions on human speaker’s face.
    What I like about the presentation is that a film of while reading a letter, listening to music through earbuds and is unaware of the explosions.
    One question is how does animated films from other countries can be match up to their movement?
    c. Are there any films mentioned that you now want to watch? If so, which ones? (Just in case the above links do not work after a couple of tries and some patience since they are large files, use this link to find them:
    One of the films that I want to watch now is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

#69972

Salina Shrestha

Cinema III

1. The use of montages and newspapers, helped tell the story and gives more in depth about about the character’s background
    2. The use of fades can show time changes. For example, how a character is grown now and how their life is compared to the past.
    3. Before the invention of CGI, dissolves were used as special effects in older movies like in the silent era.

i like the mention of lighting as well since lighting is one of my main tracks. I’ve always loved the way lighting was used to convey emotions or how it described a character.

Are clock wipes for transitions used anymore these days? I feel like i have not seen that technique in a while.

I have always heard about how Casablanca was a classic and seeing the small clip of Ingrid Bergman’s performance made me want to watch the rest.

Cinema IV

1. I did not know actors actually sang while filming before the prerecorded version was edited in after filming.
    2. Music is used to bring back memories of characters reminisce as the music plays, helping with storytelling.
    3. Sometimes actors singing voices were dubbed over if they’re own voices weren’t considered that good.

I liked the mention of American Psycho, which is one of my favorite movies. The scene with him discussing the history behind the music he played before he murdered was very unique and memorable to me.

When a narrator is speaking over their another actor’s inaudible on-screen speaking, do the actors improvise since they can’t be heard? Are they just speaking gibberish the entire time?

d. Are there any films mentioned that you now want to watch? If so, which ones? I actually watched Cruel Intentions but want to rewatch it because i was very young when I watched it and forgot most of it or maybe did not really understand it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)