Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 9/10 comparing the film clips from the Lolita films
  • #74714

Prof. Masiello

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onqnzaqw1rupp39/Lo%20comparisons%20reedit.avi?dl=0

a. Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?

Explain why you say this.

b. What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita, and Quilty?

(Please note: the young actresses playing Lolita were reportedly both 14 at the time of
    filming though one looks older and the character is supposed to be younger. Also note that
    the 1962 version reflects the cars, clothing, and hairstyles of when it was filmed, while the
    1998 version is made to look like the authentic time of the novel – the late 1940s to 1953.)

c. What did you notice about the two different versions of Louise, the maid?

d. What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962
    version has much humor? Vladimir Nabokov wrote the novel and the screenplay for the
    b&w film.

#74771

weipeng lin

I would say that the the second in color seems closer to the novel because I remember certain parts in the book that has the exact same lines or settings and feelings. Well to be specific in chapter 10 page 26 line 28 and 29 “That was my Lo,” she said “and these are my lilies.” “Yes ,” I said, “yes. They are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.” And also Humbert had describe on line 25 and line 26 of chapter 10 “I went down the steps into breathless garden, my knees, were like reflections of knees in rippling water, and my lips were like sand” what was described it matches with the the colored version and Humbert at first sight when she saw Lolita he was attracted to her.

My opinions of the actors playing Humbert I think that in the black and white version to me it seems like it wasn’t much action going on. And whereas in the colored version the actor play Humbert his reactions is much more natural. In the part of the film called Lolita leaves for camp the reactions of the actor as Humbert the laughing seems as he is forcing himself to laugh when he was reading the letter Lolita wrote for him. And in the colored version I guess that it is a normal reaction which wasn’t as exaggerating.

For Lolita the actors that are playing for Lolita in both black and white version and colored version in my opinion she is a good actor at a such young age and she did a good job.

For Charlotte in the part of the film Charlotte’s Discovery the actor in the black and white version gave me a better image/understanding of what was happening and the tone of the black and white version was more intense as Charlotte was talking as if its more close to a real argument.

For Quilty the actor seems to be more talkative in the black and white version and I find it interesting that in both version the acting seems to be different such as the conversation he had with Humbert. In the colored version the actor for Quilty he seems less talkative as the black and white version.

I noticed that in the black and white version of Louise, the maid is the size difference among both versions. In the black and white version she is seems to be much skinny rather comparing to the colored version she is more bulk. Also about the clothing difference whereas in the color version the clothes that Louise wore does looking more of a maid while the clothes in the black and white version its similar to the colored version one but like it doesn’t stand out as a maid. Also I think that there’s an age difference since the in the colored version her hair is tend to be white and whereas in the black and white version the hair color is still indeed black.

version has much humor?

The differences in tone that are in these two films are that in the black and white version the film seems to be more serious and whereas in the in the colored version the tone seems to be set more romantic and calm because in the part where Lolita is leaving for camp in the black and white version Lolita and Humbert did not kiss and for the colored version Lolita and Humbert did kiss each other goodbye. I think that 1962 version has much more humor like the acting in certain parts are intense. For example the part where Charlotte and Humbert were arguing the actors/actress seems to having a loud argument and I guess that it brings in the mood.

#74772

Gabby

Explain why you say this.

The 1997 (in color) seems much more closer to the novel. Although Vladimir Nabokov wrote both the novel and the b&w screenplay, the second in color feels more like the characters. Lolita’s audacity, Charlottes naivety, and Humberts sort of perverse and cautious way of being. The b&w version feels sillier, you almost forget about the plot of it. The second in color makes sure to remind you of what’s going on, and it remains there throughout the entire film.

I find both Humberts very similar. They both retain the same obsessive, sort of admiration over their Lolita’s. However, the b&w Humbert has more humor in the situation he is in, as shown when laughing about Charlottes sort of confession. The 1997 Humbert has this sort of hunger and ache for Lolita. The b&w Lolita is much more tame than the 1997 Lolita. The 1997 Lolita has more spunk, expresses more temerity, as written in the book. Both Charlottes are fairly similar to me, both in the fact that they fall for Humbert, soon to be appalled by him and then die. Both Quilty’s are extremely unique, though. They take on two different personalities that brought Humbert anxiety. The b&w Quilty takes on this anxious/shaky personality that freaks Humbert out because he’s hyper-observant. The 1997 Quilty is extremely nonchalant and blunt, but toys with Humberts mind and changes what he’s said.

The maid in the b&w film doesn’t really play a major part. You don’t really notice her, besides her being the maid and taking care of the house. Whereas the Louise of the 1997 film has more personality. She reacts annoyingly by ascending up the stairs. and utters “what the hell are you doin’ in there” after passing Humbert the note Charlotte left for him.

version has more humor? Vladimir Nabokov wrote the novel and the screenplay for the
    b&w film.

The 1997 film is definitely more serious, and the drama is much more intense. I imagine the 1962 version had more humor because the topic is extremely serious. The humor was needed to ‘ease’ in the film, even with the topic is obvious. At the time, I assume Vladimir didn’t think people would take the film well, considering how it’s written in the novel, so he fluffed up the screenplay.

#74781

Prof. Masiello

Weiping,

Please read the comments from your classmates and please start using the app called grammarly to help you improve your grammar. Movies are in color or in B&W. The word ” colored” is incorrect and implies wrongly that color is added like when people use a coloring book.

#74782

Prof. Masiello

Your comments are good ones, Gabby.

Please note: When discussing writers artists, actors, directors, politicians, athletes, etc., unless you know them personally, please do not use only first names . That can be done with characters because we feel we know them. ex. Charlotte is okay. Stanley ( for Stanley Kubrick) is incorrect.

#74900

Angel Rivera

I believe the 1998 version is closer to the original than the black & white version. I say this because the scenes shown in the 1998 version reflect what actually happened in the novel. For example, one of the scenes is when Lo was about to depart to summer camp, but sees Humbert looking out the window. She then decides to run into the house to give him a kiss. In the black & white version, they seem to kiss each other’s cheek, and have an exchange of words. However, in the 1998 version as well as the novel, they hug and kiss without saying anything to each other.

My opinions on the actors are as follows. Humbert (black & white) is more dramatic than Humbert (1998). For example, in the scene where Humbert is reading Charlotte’s letter, Humbert (black & white) was laughing hysterically while Humbert (1998) seemed surprised by the letter. Charlotte (black & white) also acts dramatically in some of the scenes. When she discovers Humbert’s diary, she throws objects and tells Humbert to get out of her way, while in the 1998 version, Charlotte says to get out of her sight or else she’ll yell out the window, without throwing anything at Humbert. Lolita (1998) is presented more childlike than the black & white version. The black & white version is presented more elegant with her hairstyle, makeup, and fashion while the 1998 version wears braided twin tails and casual clothing. Quilty (black & white) was extremely talkative, possibly due to being intoxicated. In the 1998 version, Quilty was more mysterious, only asking Humbert a few questions.

The difference between the two versions of Louise is her face wasn’t shown in the black & white version. She has more screen time in the 1998 version.

b&w film.

The differences in tone between the two films the 1962 version is more playful than the 1998 version. The 1962 version has more humor because there’s some scenes that aren’t reflective of what happens in the novel, and those scenes usually contain funny remarks from the characters, or show humorous events, such as the scene where Lo, Charlotte, and Humbert are watching a horror film.

#74902

Prof. Masiello

Angel,

Your replies are so well expressed.

It seems because of greater censorship in 1962, the screenplay emphasizes the humor that is in the novel because it could not portray the sexual matters except through implication.

As for Quilty, Peter Sellers (1962) has more to do and say than Frank Langella though Langella’s version is closer to the mysterious character of the novel. He enters the film surprisingly early in the black & white version and director Kubrick reportedly let him improvise some of his lines. Sellers was a British film actor then. He rose to far greater fame from Lolita to his masterwork in Kubrick’s next film Dr. Strangelove in which he played three characters and was nominated for an Oscar.

#75160

Tatiana B.

Lolita Comparison Questions:
    A. Which version, the first in black & white or the second in color seems closer to the novel?

I feel the 1962 black and white film seems the closest to the portrayal of Humbert Humbert and the way it provides humor to the viewer and seems much more appealing to watch. This was largely due to censorship at that time. I felt that the 1998 color version was deeply shocking in the way it over sexualized the relationship between Dolores (Lolita) Haze and Humbert Humbert. I do find that the 1998 film is more faithful to Vladimir Nabokov’s novel. The 1998 version takes on a more serious and dramatic tone by intensifying the scenes in which the two characters are involved. Particularly the ones that involve sexual content i.e. kissing, touching. Although I have not seen either film to their full effects I am still quite sure I would enjoy watching the 1962 classic rather than the 1998 version.

B. What are your opinions of the actors playing Humbert, Charlotte, Lolita & Quilty?

I enjoyed the various aspects each actor portrayed respectively. I personally enjoyed the actors of the 1962 film. Humbert Humbert was incredibly hilarious and closely resembled that of the character Hubert in the novel. The ’96 version of Humbert Humbert portrays the actor in a very shy pedophilic tone and implies a sexual emphasis especially with the expression his mannerisms and facial expressions.

Charlotte Haze’s actress in the 1962 film was exceptionally humorous and had a livelier spirit than the 1998 Charlotte Haze. Both actresses played the role very well however, the reaction that the 1962 Charlotte had when learning of Humbert Humbert’s attractions was entirely more realistic and satisfying than the 1998 Charlotte Haze’s reaction.

Dolores “Lolita” Haze character in the 1998 version resembles the character in the novel more closely than I had imagined which was a soft innocent school aged child. The actress who plays the 1962 Lolita Haze appears to be quite older and intensely more mature than the ’98 Lolita character which in my view embodies innocence. It is interesting to note that both actresses at the time of filming were 14 years of age.

The character of Clare Quility in the 1962 film version had a natural portrayal of dark humor. The 1962 Quilty expresses a direct desire for Lolita or for someone of her age caliber. Though the ’62 film was much happier in tone it also displays a drastic change in tone in the scene between Clare Quilty and Humbert Humbert. The nature of this particular scene was dismal, ominous and dark in contrast to the overall tone of the movie in my opinion. The 1998 Clare Quilty character felt forced and was not as dramatic or moving as the ’62 Clare Quility. The impression I received of the ’62 Clare Quility is far more similar to that of the novel.

C. What did you notice about the 2 different versions of Louise, the maid?

In 1962 the racial relations were at a heightened point which provided a great lack of diversity in films at that time. In the 1962 version Louise, the maid, acts very coy and presumes to do her job as she should without asking any questions like one would at that point in time. This further shows how societal norms such as having an African American maid or how following orders was a commonality and is portrayed to that effect in the 1962 version. In the 1998 film, Louise can be seen being more assertive in her role. I appreciated how the 1998 film Louise indirectly inquired audaciously as to why Humbert was in Lolita’s room. I felt that this particular scene was much needed since the 1962 film did not offer or allow this third-degree speculation likely due to racial tensions and African Americans not being able to voice their reactions to situations at that time.

D. What differences in tone do you sense in these two films? Why do you think the 1962 version has more humor? Vladimir Nabokov wrote the novel and the screenplay.

The tone of the 1962 version had a more jubilant and upbeat tone. The film inflicted a mostly positive tone overall. The 1998 version appears to be perverse and somber. The 1998 version appeals to an overly dramatic portrayal and lacks humor unlike the 1962 version. I felt that the 1962 version had more humor due to the understanding that the content was heavy and serious in nature and could be distasteful to some viewers. I feel that if the tone had been more somber or solemn he may have faced more scrutiny for 1962 film version. I realize that it cannot be easy to convey such a story of a man that is infatuated with a child. The writing itself can come off as dark especially when fantasizing about a young child in an inappropriate way. I mostly feel that Vladimir Nabokov felt the need to lighten the tone to that of a more humorous one to simply reach and appeal to viewers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)