Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 9/24 Why is Charlotte wearing animal prints?

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Please look at the pictures in the Files folder document: “Charlotte’s clothing” and reply here.

Shania Tennant
    Participant

Before Charlotte married, I believe the costume designer utilized animal print because it represents attraction or excitement. When ladies wore animal print, such as leopard, it indicated that they had a wild sexuality or sex appeal, so perhaps the designer intended Charlotte to appear confident and sexy.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Fair, enough, Shania.

The print may also suggest she is “on the prowl” looking for a new husband.

Gabby
    Participant

Charlotte wears the animal print as though she is a predator. Since she is a widow, she is probably extremely lonely. So when Humbert comes along, he is like her new prey. And she succeeds, as they do get married eventually.

weipeng lin
    Participant

The costume designer uses animal prints in Charlotte Haze’s clothing before Humbert marries her because it show’s that she is looking for her other half. Wearing animal prints shows their style’s popping and beauty to attract people. I believe that wearing animals print symbolizes Charlotte expressing her beauty letting her other half realize that she is different from other women and that she’s an independent woman that can be count on.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Well expressed, Gabby.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

WeiPeng,

I am not sure her clothing expresses all thst you said, but it is definitely her expression of looking provocative. One would not expect a Catholic nun or a new bride at her wedding to be dressed in animal prints!

Tatiana B.
    Participant

Throughout the film and prior to Charlotte’s marriage to Humbert, leopard prints are used as a way to seduce or show sex appeal. Charlottes attempt at trying to entice Humbert conveys how she is sexually attracted to him and her obscure attempt to secure a mate such as a lioness hunting their prey. Her clothing suggests that she is desperate yet whimsical. After marrying Humbert, like most women, Charlotte wears more conservative clothing.

Justin Alava
    Participant

When used in female clothing it can signify independence, confidence, sexuality and nonconformity, depending on the nature of the clothing or accessory. I feel like her wearing this animal prints shows her confidence, doesn’t really care about what others say, I feel like it’s a way of how she expresses herself. Also, her wearing animal prints around her partner shows that she’s sexually attracted to him.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Shania,

Considering the way Charlotte seemed so insecure and thwarted by Humbert’s indifference, it seems that though her animal print was rather sexy, she was not confident. She was trying to be seductive, not very successfully.

Asif Khan
    Participant

The leopard print was supposed to be sexy. My guess is that Lolita was trying to seduce Humbert. It seemed as though she wasn’t successful, but she had a grab at it. The leopard print has always been seen as sexy and attractive. However, she was a bit shallow, so she didn’t have the confidence to pull through with the seduction.

Steven Mendez
    Participant

I feel like the meaning of charlotte wearing the animal print is that she is looking for a new husband because she is single now, So it could be used as any animal thats a predator that hunts their prey, and also it can been seen as sexy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.