Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 11/12 Romeo and Juliet death count

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Romeo and Juliet Death Count

a) Why do you suppose the 1968 film version of Shakespeare’s play has fewer deaths than in the original story?

It was not due to budget, time, or censorship, so why are certain dead characters in the play still alive in the film?

(By the way, it seems most or all of the other versions also omit certain deaths. It wasn’t just director
    Franco Zeffirelli’s decision though his version may have influenced the subsequent ones.)

b) Please post your theories and whether or not you feel the fewer deaths is an improvement or not over the original play.

Gabby
    Participant

a) Why do you suppose the 1968 film version of Shakespeare’s play has fewer deaths than in the original story?

I think the film has fewer deaths because it feels like the story is more driven on Romeo and Juliet’s love rather than their house feud.

b) Please post your theories and whether or not you feel the fewer deaths is an improvement or not over the original play.

I wouldn’t say it’s an improvement, but it does add more sweetness to their romance. The film version also makes it much easier to visualize and enjoy it since the language is dense and difficult to understand at times. There is no need for so many deaths in the film because it’s very clear the feud between both houses, and how frequent they argue/fight with each other. But honestly, I don’t really know why the film has fewer deaths than the original story.

Gabby,

This film was made during the Viet Nam war and one of the slogans of the youth of that era was to “Make Love, Not War.” Yes, their romance was the main focus. Also, this was the first time that actual teenagers were playing the main characters, and their youth was emphasized in the posters and ad campaigns.

weipeng lin
    Participant

I suppose that the film has less death because in the film it’s more about the love between Romeo and Juliet and it is more focused between them.

I think that it does add an improvement because it tends to have more romance between Romeo and Juliet. But the film shows how both sides Montague and Capulet hate each other and in the film, it does show how they were injured. Within the few words among both sides, they tend to fight each other violently with their swords. I agree that the film has a better understanding of romance between Romeo and Juliet even though one’s Montague and one’s Capulet.

Yes, WeiPeng,

This film was made during the Viet Nam war and one of the slogans of the youth of that era was to “Make Love, Not War.” Yes, their romance was the main focus. Also, this was the first time that actual teenagers were playing the main characters, and their youth was emphasized in the posters and ad campaigns.

Shania Tennant
    Participant

Because the tale revolved around the primary characters, there were fewer deaths in the film version than in the original story.

I believe there were fewer deaths because we all know the two sides have a profound hatred for each other and fight all the time; we can only presume that with all the fighting comes death. It’s not necessary to display it every time it occurs; instead, concentrate on the actual love narrative.

Yes, Shania, but the deaths of Paris and Lady Montague were not due to “gang violence.” Shakespeare created them and their deaths.
    Did Hollywood improve on his creation? Something changed along the way. It seems the other film versions omit those deaths too.

Angel Rivera
    Participant

The 1968 film version of Shakespeare’s play has fewer deaths than in the original play because it focused on Romeo and Juliet’s love.

I feel the fewer deaths is not an improvement over the original play because some characters had less importance in the film, such as Paris. Originally Romeo and Paris fought outside the tomb where Juliet was held which lead to his death. However, in the film it never happened.

True, Angel, but in the film Romeo’s grief is quite touching. Had he just killed Paris, would we think of him in the same way–as the above-the-crowd hero?

Justin Alava
    Participant

I believe because the original is more based off their love story and the connection between them.
    I think that it does add an improvement because it tends to have more romance between Romeo and Juliet.

Steven Mendez
    Participant

I believe the film version of shakespere play has fewer deaths because the orginal story was more about the fued between both families then their own love.

I strongly believe that it adds an improvement because now instead on focusing so much on the fued you now have more romance in the film and see their love.

Tatiana B.
    Participant

I believe there were fewer deaths due to the focus being mainly on the main characters Romeo and Juliet. For this reason I feel they did not want the overall tone to appear deadly in nature but rather a love story where death was inevitable.

Although fewer deaths may seem as an improvement it was not. The original play showcases the drawn-out feud amongst the Montagues and the Capulets which result in death on both house. I understand the need to exude more romance than features of death.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.