ENG1141 Creative Writing-Spring 2020-Sears

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Posts
  • #58557

Jennifer Sears

For our first discussion board, I want you to respond to the stories your peers wrote last week. Which story do you think works best and why? (You can nominate your own if you want, but you have to give a reason why.) We are thinking of elements including character, motivation, dialog, suspense, plot structure (beginning, middle, and end), conclusion, and strong writing or sentences. After you listen again to What Makes a Story Great presented by the Aspen Ideas Festival, you might also consider the ideas or sense of truth behind the story.

Try to write at least a few sentences. Have fun and post before or by 11:30 PM tonight to get credit! The discussion will close after that time.

#58570

Jennifer Sears

You participate by hitting “reply” to the above post!

#58572

Jennifer Sears

Or by hitting “reply” to someone else’s comment. I will see both….

#58597

Fahim.Shahriar12

For my own preference, I nominate the story “The Hangover: Poor Man’s Edition”, because there is some truth to that story and we can all agree that it is a big deal, especially now when we all are self quarantined with nothing to do but go online or watch TV from time to time. The story has a good conflict, which all of our five protagonists having to pass their physics course but get carried away with wondering about the COVID-19’s origin in the city of Wuhan. I think it also grabs the audience’s attention, which is a big and major part in a good story, and has some truth to how the protagonists go about having to endure Wuhan and its mysterious impact on the COVID-19.

#58604

Nicholas Cabrera

The one I want to nominate is “The Paranoia” story. While reading the story I found the slow build up of paranoia in the security guard Frank to be very interesting. Frank went from a warm, people loving security guard to some one who is filled with paranoia. Also while reading the story I found it shocking to think that the character would become something that he was so desperate to protect his school from(this is based on how I interpret the reading sorry if that is not the case ). But it also leaves me with one question How was Franks Life taken?

#58634

Junwen Lin

In my opinion, I think the story “The Paranoia” is best. Because this story has both two conflicts, internal conflict, and external conflict. The internal conflict shows in Frank keep worried about school shooting will happen any time in his school, so it causes external conflict, he becomes suspicious and means to anyone. And this story’s ending is very dramatic, Frank’s job is to protect other’s live, but in the end, he takes lives.

#58641

Karla Ramirez

I nominate the Lucky Janitor because it has a clear beginning, middle, and end. In the beginning, it talks about the students buying a lottery ticket and at the same time the janitor is introduced. Then there’s some dialog between a janitor and a student, here the janitor talks about his past, which gives the reader a sense of empathy for the janitor. In the end, the students lost but found out the Janitor won the lottery. Which gives a happy ending.

#58644

Carlos Cabrera

I DECIDED TO PICK AND NOMINATE MY PEERS AND MINE STORY “THE LUCKY JANITOR”, DUE TO THE WAY THE STORY WAS STRUCTURED, ENGAGING THE READER AND MAKING THEM READ UNTIL THE END AND BE SURPRISED. THE WAY THE CHARACTERS WERE DEVELOP GAVE THE STORY A SENSE OF REALITY AND ALSO THE ROLE THAT EACH PLAYED WERE THE KEY OF KINDNESS AND HOPE. THE WAY THAT THE STORY WAS BUILT HAS A CLEAR PURPOSE OF WHY WE SHOULD KEEP WORKING AND NEVER GIVE UP, IT SAYS IT ALL DURING THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE AND END. HOW THE JANITOR TALKS ABOUT HE IS OKAY WITH HIS JOB AND THAT WHAT HE GAVE UP IN LIFE WAS FOR A GOOD PURPOSE TOO AND THEN WHILE LETTING THE READERS KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF WINNING THE LOTTERY TICKET FOR THESE STUDENTS AND THEN FINDING OUT THAT THE WINNER WAS SOMEBODY THAT DESERVED MORE THAN THEM AT ONE POINT WAS A GREAT WAY TO CONNECT THE PLOT OF THE STORY AND FINALLY CONCLUDING IT WITH A HAPPY ENDING GAVE A PLUS WITHOUT A DOUBT.

#58648

Tyler Vasquez

I enjoyed my group’s story “The Paranoia” most because even reading it a second or third time it kept me at the edge of my seat throughout the story even though I already knew the outcome. The main character Frank is a dynamic character who does a complete 180 over the course of the story. It also had a shocking ending. To reply to Nicholas Cabrera, the last sentence was supposed to say “A life was taken with each bullet fired; Frank took his own with the last.” so I apologize for the confusion, he ended up committing suicide at the end. That’s how Frank’s life was taken.

#58666

Maryemilia Perez

I nominate “The Paranoia”. As I read the story, I felt very engaged. I was also left with many questions about the ending because it was all so sudden. It was almost like a cliffhanger at the end of a movie. I need the sequel! The thoughts that went through the guard’s mind was, to me, what made this so realistic. He was a happy guard, kind to everyone, and all of a sudden he changed completely because of his obsession to keep the school and everyone in it safe. I feel like there were two conflicts like Junwen said in his reply about the “external conflict” in the story which I think also makes it even more interesting having the first conflict being school shootings happening and Frank getting worried and acting differently, then him getting fired and causing such a disturbance at the school he once loved and cared for.

#58683

Jennifer Sears

Hi All,
    Great comments on suspense, character development, and the “shape of the story” (otherwise known as plot construction). Keep the discussion going!

#58684

Adonis Corporan

After struggling to decide which one of my peer’s stories I loved the most I came to the conclusion that my favorite story was “The lucky Janitor.” I really loved this story. It not only was structured perfectly but also brought many character’s to life. “The Lucky Janitor, was structured in an awesome way because it started with the topic that the story would later finish with, in this case the lottery. I really loved how this common and daily character that has never has been treated with kindness ,later turns out to be the one who gets the price. This in my opinion, was not only suspenseful but surprising! This story not only had a happy ending, but managed to have created an awesome plot, with great characters, and an attractive story and title. I also really like what the story conveys. It really shows the importance of being nice to others and how things to out right in the long run of those who persevere and help others while doing that. The story, not only motivates you into being a better person but makes you feel pleased that someone who worked so hard in life, finally got what he deserved.

#58693

Nathalie Suarez

The story that I would like to nominate is “The Paranoia”. When reading this interesting short story it got me hooked right around the beginning where the security guard was having second doubts about the kids being good kids and letting what was going on in the outside world effect his work life. You can really see how Frank went from being one person to a completely different person all in one story and the effects that having paranoia had on him. I do get a bit of a cliff hanger sense as I was reading the story and agree with my peers on being left with a bunch of questions. The conflict was something very unique and I like how it was so nicely written. It makes me think that this can be a story that you can visually see in your mind.

#58700

Ayleen Carrasco

I nominate the “The Paranoia” story because it created suspense towards the end of the story and I was wondering what was going to happen. There was a clear plot and conclusion. The dialog was good as well. I was able to see the changes the character was going through emotionally and mentally. There I think this story works best because it was clear with a beginning, middle and end. However, I would like to know how Frank’s ended. I had to erred the ending because I was confused on who was shooting and then i realized it was Frank. It was very interesting. What could’ve been his motivation to do that if he wanted to protect the school so bad? Great story though.

#58701

Gen Li

I think “The Lucky Janitor” is the best out of the three. The first paragraph establishes a relatable setting and does well in introducing the characters. Overall, it’s a feel good story about a selfless janitor winning the lottery. I also like that it is written in first person point of view. The use of “I” makes me share the same feelings as the narrator. The narrator is sympathetic and capable of being happy for another individual. His or her attitude reinforces the heart-warming and optimistic vibe of the story.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.