ENG1121_S20_Reichert_D454

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Argument as Conversation

How can students use arguments as a way to have a point of view conversation?
    We make arguments in our everyday lives. We are confronted with a problem that is open for discussion, we express our reasons with examples of why we think it’s correct. In the article, Stuart Greene thinks the argument is like a conversation because it provides reasons to support a person’s viewpoint. Greene makes a point that students need to answer an essay with more new ideas. Getting those inquiry ideas means researching. In order to make an argument

We primarily continue a debate that has been going on for a while now. It is best to consider the context in which the discussion is conducted in order to address such an event. In order to understand the meaning, we do some analysis and read the work of others–to comprehend what was said before and expand on it. Then we would draw three things from our research: a question at hand, the situation around it and a question to be answered by us. The tension between conflicting ideas must be identified and placed under the scope of a given situation–including a psychological context. We can then use our argument after this process to answer a particular question that could make our writing easier.

Framing is a tool used to build an argument, or generally to write a piece. It helps concentrate on the argument and specifies the issue and/or issue of the argument. Framing also offers an opportunity to clarify your position. Greene’s hope is that by teaching his readers about framing, they will be able to organize their thoughts and present an argument through some concept or viewpoint that helps get an argument across.

Do you think that getting new ideas will help a student expand on their writing?

Is having an argument in a conversation the same as how we write an essay?

Sean
    Participant

Having an argument in a conversation is the same as how we write an essay because it follows a identical format, the essay Greene address the format for an argument and he labels the different section within his essay. The first section “identity the issue” This serves as the essays topic here the writer/student will introduce a topic for an essay, then the second section was “Identity the situation” this serves as a thesis with your supporting points and the section, this would make your argument stronger was The last section Frame a “good question” would be the conclusion for a essay this is what challenges your reader. So when we present a argument to a we classmate or a peer we are essentially writing our essay.

Kieran Reichert
    Participant

Nicholas,

I’m just realizing that there are effectively two places on open lab to post discussions, and you posted in the one I didn’t anticipate – will you copy/paste this into a post on our Blog Posts page?

Thanks!

-Kieran

Kieran Reichert
    Participant

Hey Sean,

Will you copy/paste this response to Nicholas’ post when he moves it to the Blog Posts page? I realize now that there are two places to post discussions, and I didn’t know about this one. I will clarify for next week, but for now it would be great if you could move this over to a comment on the post Nicholas is soon to move over to the Blog Posts page.

Thanks!

-Kieran

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.