ENG1101LC78, FA2021

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Session 2 Participation Activity: Finding a Sense of Belonging in College
  • #74273

Jennifer Sears

See the instructions on the TO-DO List for Session 2 and post on this discussion thread by hitting “Reply”. You can use the text we wrote in class today! Make sure to post any time BEFORE the end of the day on Tuesday, Aug. 31.

Your post should include two paragraphs about finding a sense of belonging in college. A third paragraph should respond to the person who went before you. See the instructions on the Session 2 To-Do List.
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/eng1101-lc78-fa21/2021/08/26/eng-1101-lc78-to-do-list-session-2-tues-aug-31/

#74243

Arjay Rajapa

My experience in college so far has been weird. Its more fast paced and its more engaging and fun. I kind of enjoy it so far, I just wish we could be in school so we can be able to interact face to face with our teachers.

#74276

Jennifer Sears

Thank you for starting us off Arjay! This is a bit brief to fulfill the assignment but you are certainly on your way. You might write a bit more about why you want to meet face to face and what that kind of interaction will mean when we do go back online. You might also write a bit about the kinds of activities you’ve done at City Tech to have that kind of experience.

#74277

Arely Delgado

My experience in college has been okay so far. I am not outgoing and don’t really put myself that much out there. So, when it comes to meeting new people and participating in class it’s hard. Especially, online. I’m so scared of speaking cause what if I just get ignored lol. Luckily one of my classmates did reach out on my first day. We have 2 classes together. :)

#74278

Mike Sanango

One experience I had so far as a City Tech student that made me feel like I fit in was meeting my classmates on the first day of school because when we were all introducing ourselves during our architecture class, I felt like we all had the same reasons why we wanted to pursue architecture as a career. This is a common interest we all have so I feel like this would make it easier for us to become friends.

#74279

Jean Lucas

An interaction that made me feel welcomed and like I belonged here was my first class yesterday with professor Duddy, like the way he welcomed us and introduced himself felt like I would have a great first year in city tech, and can’t wait to see how it will go. Also Knowing I left my old friends as they went to different colleges and now I’m alone in a new school as a freshman looking to make new friends, and not seeing my new classmates physically feels weird as i could rarely interact with them

#74283

Jennifer Sears

This is a sample post written by your instructor for our How to Make a Discussion Board Post. I’m writing in the text box so that students will understand how to participate in a discussion thread. The current posts are a little short for credit! Please write at least two paragraphs that are around 5-10 sentences each.

Add a third paragraph responding to the student who went before you! Here I would write a respond to Jean Lucas.

Jean Lucas, I’m so glad that you enjoyed your class with Professor Duddy. He is my colleague and he really knows his stuff and cares about City Tech students. I also understand that this experience is strange. But we will all work hard to make the best of things.

#74291

Armando Rodriguez

Coming into City Tech i was very excited about starting from scratch and breaking away from the endless loop that was highschool . However it looks like my first year at City Tech might go the same way as my senior year due to coronavirus. Although it is a bummer i’ve been looking for ways to make up for my lacking experience so far such as reaching out to other peers in all of my classes. For example today we made an Arch 1101/ ELA groupchat between each other. A stark contrast compared to my first experience at city tech which was getting sent back and forth by the security guards looking for the bookstore.
    Like I said though things did get better, especially the first day of classes when i was in professor Duddy’s class. I really enjoyed what he was teaching and the way he approached all of the students. It made me excited to learn more about architecture and lifted my spirits. I also met a new friend in duddy’s class and we’re helping each other out get through these first weird days of class and they’re pretty cool with the way they approach things so im excited about that too. My only wish is that i can properly experience City Tech with in person classes and actually meeting my peers and professors in person with a busy moving campus.
    I don’t have anyone to reply to since professor Sears used Jean as a sample, but i want to say thanks to Professor Sears for clearing up the confusion

#74328

Joseph

My Experience in City Tech so far has been normal maybe because I have been doing online learning since 11th grade. But I really hope that we are able to go to campus and meet each other. Online learning is still something that I need to get used to because it’s something very weird to do. Exploring the City Tech campus was very nice, I got see what the environment is like there and i feel like i would fit in very nice.
    This week I got to meet all my professors, the first day I got to meet professor Duddy he is very kind and has very interesting things to say when it came to introducing himself. He made sure to try and find a connection to everyones reason for choosing architecture. My Professors Eric and Professor Penelope were very patient when it came to explaining stuff to us maybe because we were online and its hard to focus. I just hope that we are able to have classes in person to experience that first year in college were we meet new people and get to explore new things.
    Armando, I agree with what you said about high school being an end-less loop because it seemed like everyday was the same. I also feel the same way when it comes to having in person class it would be nice to be in campus.

#74335

Norah Abraham

My experience overall has been pleasant for the most part, I feel as though I do belong, considering this school has a major that I do plan on and feel comfortable pursuing as a lifelong career, I’m excited to meet the rest of my piers and to see what City Tech has in store for me, I haven’t experienced much yet but I can’t wait to get the chance to explore. All my professors left a wholesome impression on me, I felt comfortable talking and communicating with all them, hopefully one day I’m able to meet all of them in person.

One of the Professors that made me feel like I belonged was, Professor Duddy, this is because when he asked about what made me want to pursue architecture, and I responded with, “I was inspired by sims as a child,” he was excited to hear that and instantly responded with, “that’s what my Daughter was inspired by!” Him saying that made me feel warm inside, because I always thought out of all things that could’ve inspired me into doing architecture and what ended up inspiring me was sims.. something that literally wasn’t even based on architecture, so knowing that an architects daughter was inspired by sims made me feel like I just fit right in!

I agree with Joseph, because once the virus occurred when I was in 11th grade, just like the rest of us it almost felt like we had to quickly adjust to the new norm and being at home everyday, not being able to be in class, and see our piers everyday like what we were use to was disappointing. Knowing that online learning is something that’s going to being continued in college until further notice is also a bit disappointing. I’m looking forward to the day where I’ll be able to meet all my piers and professors, and everything is finally back to normal.

#74381

Nouman

My experience in city tech has been awesome so far but it could be better because online school is just not for me, I get distracted while in online school easily and which make it harsh for me to understand what professor is teaching, I really hope we can make it into in campus classes because that’s the best way to learn something in my opinion in campus is the best because you can physically interact with professors and friends and can learn about classes even faster. Putting what I said on a side city tech fit me the best because the college got the perfect major I was looking for and new things to explore. One more thing that I like about professors and staff is that they try their best to guide us to the path which is something that make this college perfect for me.

I haven’t talked to any of my professors yet due to technically difficulties. My bag was drowned in the water which had my personal belongings and laptop because of this I couldn’t join any classes last week, which made me so sad that I couldnt go to my first day classes but oh well I’m hoping to meet everyone this week.

Joseph I agree with you we all have been stuck at home for almost 2 years now which is crazy to think about but we all will go through this together and hopefully what we missed in our senior year we might fulfill in upcoming days when we meet in campus which I’m excited about.

#74387

Anthony

My experience at citytech is good so far. Since I am pretty shy the main concern I have is being able to make new friends or connect to other people properly. During the introductions yesterday, I heard other student’s reasoning for pursuing an architecture degree and some of the things they said were very relatable to me. Since my classmates showed that they have similar passions with me, it makes me feel more confident being in these classes. The only concern I have right now is that I also have huge passion for many other things that I’m unsure if I can integrate those into architecture.

Even though I’ve been assigned a lot of work from the very first day, it was still manageable and is somewhat fun too so it wasn’t too bad. Some of the professors are fairly fast paced but they still go over something again when someone asks so it helps everyone catch up.

Nouman, I agree with you, I also wish I can be able to do more in person classes as being in a classroom setting puts my mind in a kind of working and learning state. This is unlike being at home where there are many things that can easily distract me. In addition, my mind consciously doesn’t want to learn or work as being at home just feels like I should be relaxing and not working.

#74416

Folabo

My experience is not what I expected it to be. However I am enjoying what I am doing so far in terms of architectural work. Prior to architecture, I was involved in graphic designing, drawing, and built stuff from scratch with the item in my house. I have different talents that brought me to architecture and I’m eager to find what form of architecture fits me.

#74421

Jean Lucas

An interaction that made me feel welcomed and like I belonged here was my first class yesterday with professor Duddy, like the way he welcomed us and introduced himself felt like I would have a great first year in city tech, and can’t wait to see how it will go. Also Knowing I left my old friends as they went to different colleges and now I’m alone in a new school as a freshman looking to make new friends, and not seeing my new classmates physically feels weird as I could rarely interact with them. I really can’t wait to meet my classmates and teachers after this COVID situation is over.

Even though some of my teachers have given us a lot of homework I feel like I could still manage my time to do it I don’t really like to turn in things at the last minute so I try my best to give it in on time. In the last class, my classmates and I created a Group chat which has been pretty fun and I’m glad we all are in the same class with Duddy and here in English. We could work together if anyone needs help and I hope to meet them later on at campus. Other than that I had to chance to have all my professors last week and I could say they were pretty good they all seemed nice and excited for this year’s Fall semester.

Folabo I agree with you in how you decided to start focusing on architecture as some of the things you mentioned i could relate to such as the drawings and the building stuff, which in my case i started building things with legos and i hoped to really meet you in campus once al of this situation is over.

#74455

Jennifer Sears

Writers….thank you for submitting your words here. Folabo, please review the instructions and add to your post. Remember to respond to the person who went before you. I’m sending a reminder email soon. The assignment is due today. Read what your peers wrote as well!

Prof. Sears

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.