ENG1101LC78, FA2021

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Participation Activity, Session 3: Architectural Influences of My Youth

Armando Rodriguez
    Participant

In the Louis Khan biography by Paul Goldberg we are shown a closer glimpse at the world around Louis Khan in the time that he was alive. This includes little bits of his personal life even though he was infamous for keeping that aspect of him behind closed doors. We are introduced to a few of his kids including one that was making a film about his dad. To do this his son was going to visit and record important places from his fathers life such as several of the buildings he designed and including the neighborhood that he grew up in. Threw out the excerpt we are shown a few of the things that drove and inspired his work as the best architect of his time. Louis was once quoted as saying that he would let the stone speak to him and the stones would tell him it wanted to be an arch. This sheds light on Louis immense passion for his work and immense dedication as he would many times change and edit his designs many times over and over again as he was a perfectionist, sometimes this attitude and passion would cost him financially as he would lose money on some of his work.He didn’t care though he was making art and he knew it. Funnily enough Louis wasn’t always revered for his architectural prowess, he spent the majority of his career making “glass squares” but it wasn’t until he went to Rome that he had the epiphany. There the ruins spoke to him and soon his style did a complete 180 turn as his structures turned heavy and became bigger than life structures.
    In my case however i feel like my surrounding has done very little to sway my architectural taste in any particular direction as has been with everything else in my life. I don’t really tend to bother to let things in don’t like influencing me. Ive always been a pretty kept to myself person with my own ideas. I feel like this is the reason for my distaste of most NYC architecture. I don’t like big mammoths of glass and steel and concrete. I like Stones rocks and marble. Im a huge sucker for gothic style architecture. I want yellow and warmth in a building .I want to make something bigger than anyone ever could be.
    And i concur with Kevin in that i also felt that architecture was a perfect fit for me. My family owns a contractor company and i’ve always had an interest for the arts and i consider architecture as one of the finest.

Afoussata Savane
    Participant

Louis Khan’s biography by Paul Goldberg “Many Mansions”, Khan’s life seemed to be very discrete. Many did not know much about Khan’s life. As Goldberg went into detail about Khan’s life we find out many things khan stowed away from the world. Khan was a seventy-three-year-old man that had an unfortunate death in the restroom due to a heart attack. Khan was a very innovative thinker when it came to being an architect. Before Khan’s death he finished the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth then became the most celebrated architect in the U.S Also he was assigned the largest project of his life, a series of government buildings that would eventually become the national capital. As I mentioned before, khan had a very discrete life, many did not know about his family and affairs and his kids did not know much about him as well. Khan did not set aside his work for anyone it seems. Khan was very passionate about his work although he was struggling making up his mind about what to create.”He was a difficult, self-absorbed artist devoted to his work. He would go to his office at night and on holidays, perhaps not so much to escape domesticity but simply because his greatest passion was drawing buildings and thinking about what architecture means. His earnestness put him somewhat out of fashion for a while after his death, and even now it dates him more than anything else.”

What inspired to me to chase my future to become an architect was my parents. When I traveled to Africa for vacation my parents showed what they built for there community which was affordable housing for their people . Seeing that made me want to do same but in a more creative way and also keeping in mind the thought of giving back. I want my dream to become reality in every aspect.

I agree with Arjay because New York does have many beautiful landscape and architecture, I’ve lived in New York my entire life and in my 18th-19 years is the only time I’ve been to Brooklyn and I was very surprised to see as many brownstone housing and some were were not remodeled yet.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.