ENG1101 (D302) Comp 1, FA2018

• Jacob Cortez: Labor Day Weekend Story
  • #50278

Jacob N. Cortez

Usually people get to relax during a holiday weekend. Some stay home and have themselves a lazy day; others go on a small trip. Not me though. I had to work all weekend. The day before labor day I had to come in the morning at 9:30a.m. I had close at my store the night before. I was most definitely tired when I walked into work. My manager had informed me that one of our partners who was supposed to close had called out sick. This frustrated me because I was already staying longer than i was scheduled to to help out another partner of ours who needed coverage because she had a family emergency. So I was going to leave at 8:00p.m. since i was doing the coverage, but since the person who was supposed to close called out, I knew I would have to stay for them as well. That meant I would leave at 9:30p.m. instead of 8:00p.m. The 1 1/2 hour difference might not sound that bad to some, but I was already exhausted from the limited sleep I got from closing the previous night.

As a newly promoted shift supervisor, I couldn’t allow the other shift to close by herself that night. That meant we would have had to close the store early and that meant a loss in business and money. So I agreed with my manager that I should stay to help her out. It wasn’t the first time I’ve done a double shift. The difference this time was that I had a new set of responsibilities so it was double the work than it normally would be. Fortunately, I was able to pull through without running out of gas. We were able to meet our sales goal for that day and close up the store on time. Many challenges are to be expected when becoming a shift supervisor, and I don’t mind them. Even if they do ruin a holiday weekend for me.

#50284

Professor Choi

This is not where you should be posting. Please go into our actual course site and click on the Discussion tab on the main menu, then click through to Labor Day Stories.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)