ENG 2420: Science Fiction

active 5 months, 1 week ago
ENG 2420: Science Fiction
English
2420
Spring 2017

English 2420 combines analysis of science fiction as literature with consideration of the questions science and technology raise about past, present, and future societies. In class discussions and essays, students will focus on the basic elements of literary analysis, the historical development of the science fiction genre, and the thematic concerns of each assigned text. Class discussions will address issues of form and will delve into the cultural contexts that have helped shaped some of the core tropes of the genre, such as artificial intelligence and human/machine interactions, the exploration of space and time, and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Attention will also be paid to the ways in which authors have used utopian and dystopian societies of the future to comment upon humanity’s present relationship with science and technology.

Avatar Image Credit: Georges Méliès [Public domain], Screenshot from Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon) (1902), via Wikimedia Commons

Final Class, Class Notes

On Thursday May 25th, 2017, was our final class in English Science Fiction 2420. Activities that […] See MoreFinal Class, Class Notes

Space and being done with this class!

Mhy project explores space and why people are interested about it. [gview […] See MoreSpace and being done with this class!

Revised PPT on Cloning and immortality.

[gview […] See MoreRevised PPT on Cloning and immortality.

I am ayeshat Lawal and I love to read and learn my I am thirteen and a half years old and I love to be me. See More

sfdlawala82@sfldk12.org See More

Just updated my post but I can't seem to find Kelz's presentation. I'm not sure if I'm not looking […] See More

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.