ENG 2400 Films from Literature, Spring 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

In the 1962 movie, this scene, which is less than 40 seconds long, and has no dialogue, occurs right after Humbert accepts

Charlotte’s room-to-rent deal, immediately after first seeing Lolita.

Do you think it is effective?

What does it mean?

Sara Zheng
    Participant

When Humbert accepts Charlotte’s deal on the room and how it jumps to the horror movie scene. It is effective as it begins to show us Humbert’s interactions with the Haze family. Since movies do not incorporate every scene, it is a good way for them to transition to this scene after the deal. This scene portrays the affection Charlotte has for Humbert as she puts her hand on his and Humbert’s affection for Dolores by moving his hand toward hers.

Khomeshwari Sankar
    Participant

I definitely agree with you Sara Zheng, Humbert accepting the deal of the room was because he was obsessed with Lolita at his first sight in the garden.

Tyler Tyson
    Participant

I think the jump scene to the horror movie immediately after Humbert accepts Charlotte’s offer to rent the room is effective. It effective because it implicitly demonstrates to the audience on how vile and impure Humberts intentions are when coming into Charlotte’s home.

The horror scene clearly shows the affection of Humbert towards Lolita when both hands landed on his lap and he grabbed Lolita’s hand and let go if the hand of her mother, Charlotte. This scene is effective because the purpose of Humbert to accept the room for rent deal by Charlotte is clearly shown as he is actually after Lolita, not the room for rent. Thus, Humbert’s obsession towards Lolita and Lolita’s acceptance of his interest towards her tell what the film, “Lolita,” is all about. It is just disturbing that Charlotte lives under one house with these two indecent people.

Frank
    Participant

I think the horror scene is effective in helping demonstrate Humberts true intentions with the Family and also why he chose to stay at the place. When their hands end up on one another I believe it implies how oblivious one of them might be to what’s going to occur.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Who is oblivious? Please specify.

If you look at their faces again, Lolita is looking at the film, but aware of Humbert’s hand, and Charlotte gives a bit of a look to their hands and has a troubled look. Humbert has a “poker face” since he is quite aware of what is happening.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.