ENG 1121 D440 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due on 9/15 by 5PM: Response to Straub

Amber Slater
    Participant

Hi all! Please answer the following two questions:

1. To what extent does writing feel like a social process to you? Does writing ever feel lonely/isolating?

2. Pick one sentence from “Responding–Really Responding–to Other Students’ Writing” that is interesting/memorable to you. Why is it memorable or interesting?

Janice Chen
    Participant

1. To what extent does writing feel like a social process to you? Does writing ever feel lonely/isolating?
    Writing is definitely a social process for me!! I feel like writing is a way to express your self. Throughout some personal writing, I can see what kind of person the author is. Writing is never my strength. Not that the writing itself is lonely or isolating, I would feel lonely and helpless while there is no one who can guide me through the writing process when I am lost. AND I will isolate(Shut myself inside my room and not talk to anyone) myself until I finish my work.

2. Pick one sentence from “Responding–Really Responding–to Other Students’ Writing” that is interesting/memorable to you. Why is it memorable or interesting?
    “feel free-in fact, feel obliged-to tell the writer what you like and don’t like, what is and is not working, and where you think it can be made to work better.”
    This is very memorable for me. I am those that can’t write a comment freely because I really care if people who receive the comment will get a bad feeling for criticism. Therefore sometimes I would rather not say it out. It is interesting to see that we are free but also have to be obliged to tell the writer my feeling about their work.

Samuel ugweje
    Participant

1. I would definitely say that writing is a social process, when I write I express my thoughts, my feelings and my overall state of mind about what I’m writing. The only time writing feels isolating to me is when I feel as though what I’m saying is making no sense. Or rather when I don’t understand the concept behind what I’m supposed to write about.

2. “But friends don’t let friends think their writing is the best thing since The Great Gatsby
    and they don’t lead them to think that all is fine and well when it’s not.“ This sentence is memorable to be because I feel like it’s very true. You don’t want to me the type to praise everything about the paper, and you don’t want to criticize everything about it either. The nod of a responder should be to reflect on what was done good and on mistakes that can be fixed or worded better.

Ariel Montesino
    Participant

1. I would say writing is a social process since whenever i write i am expressing my thoughts,feelings, and emotions. Writing does feel isolating. Generally I’m writing on my computer desk alone and I am in deep thought trying to think of what i exactly I should write and how I should write it.

2. ” Some teachers like to have students write comments in the margins right next
    to the passage. ”
    I found this interesting cause I never had any English teachers that wouldn’t tell me to do this. If i were reading someones paper I would pretend to just grade it and fix any errors I see as well as give any pointers on what the person can improve on.

Iris Olmos
    Participant

Writing is a social process to me because I can write anything I want and express how I feel without getting judged or feeling like I’m in the wrong or shouldn’t be writing. It also makes me feel very relieved knowing I expressed how I felt in written words. Writing would only feel lonely if I didn’t have a friend who would want to read what I wrote or having no once care what I write is important.

One sentence that good that stood out to me is where it says, “Sound like you normally sound when you’re speaking with a
    friend or acquaintance.” This stood out to me because I know now that I don’t have to talk to the writer any specific way and more like a helpful colleague who’s trying to help and give support.

1. Writing in general is undeniably a social process. While writing, it feels like a social process when I’m simply just free writing everything that’s on my mind. When you write it’s a form of letting everything out: any opinion, or informative claim. At times, writing may seem at though it’s all up to you alone and isolating, but I personally feel like it’s for the best since it’s a healthy way to vent to yourself.

2. One sentence from Richard Straub’s “Resonding-Really Resonding-to Other Students” that was memorable to me was “Think about it. Sincerity and specifrcity are everything when it comes to a compliment”. This quote spoke to me because when a student is sincere when complimenting your work, it really is uplifting and it encourages that student to continue doing what they’re doing, writing wise.

Douglas
    Participant

I do not believe writing is completely a social process because writing does not prepare me for social interactions. I believe writing initializes as a social process when their is event that requires a speech. Writing sometimes feels isolating to me because I like to challenge myself to think beyond my past writings, but sometimes I don’t accomplish that feat.

One Sentence that interest me in “Responding–Really Responding–to Other Students’ Writing’ is ‘Address issues that are most important to address in this paper, at this time. ‘. This sentence interest me because when another students’ paper is fully addressed by giving advice and/or fixing grammar they’ll receive a higher grade when they turn in the paper.

Tyler Pierre
    Participant

1. My writing has felt like a slow social processes, my writing has improved over the years, although I feel it’s not good enough to be highly praised by my instructors or anyone else. The only time I’ve have felt lonely or isolated is when I’m and I’m stuck. For example, if I was given an assignment and I knew what I needed to do but I can’t find a way to start or continue

2. “Try to let the writer know what exactly the problem is. Refer specifically to the writer’s words and make them a part of your comments. ” I picked this sentence from reading because I knew I will be reading some of my classmate’s papers in the next couple of days or so and this line gave me a different perspective on that topic.

veronica benitez
    Participant

Writing is a process that impact every individual differently. For some it comes natural, for others it’s a struggle of how to get the writing started, or a struggle on how to keep the writing flowing. For me the challenging part of writing is brainstorming. With so many thoughts and ideas running through my head it leaves me overwhelmed. I feel writing is definitely a social process because you have to connect with yourself from different aspects of life. Writing is a time to be free and let the thoughts people usually don’t say out loud heard. Writing is a getaway place to clear your mind without being ‘judged”.

“Sound like you normally sound when you’re speaking with a friend or acquaintance.” stood out to me because usually when people speak with their friend the conversation is really laid back and causal. Both individual could be themselves and say how they feel without having to overthink or “sugar coat” their details or emotions during their conversation. This is very important in writing because the writer want the reader to understand and relate to their writing and it’s more achievable when writers put their emotions and heart into it.

Jamir Campbell
    Participant

Writing is a social process to me , I can express so many different things through my writing. The only time writing makes me feel isolated is when I feel like I’m stuck and don’t know what else to say. I also feel isolated when I don’t understand the concept of what I’m supposed to write.
    A sentence I found important was “No. At least not most of the time. Get specific. Don’t rely on general statements alone. How much have generic comments helped you as a writer.” I found this important because If you don’t give good criticisms to the person your not making the person a better writer, or helping them understand where they could be better in their writing.

Thalia L. Frontani
    Participant

Writing feels like a social process when it starts relating to you or brings you in. It starts opening up your mind and feelings. The only tine Writing feels lonely and isolating whenever I feel there is no purpose to it.

The sentence, “First, don’t set out to seek and destroy all errors and problems in the writing.” is interesting since I thought you would want all accident and mistakes to be corrected and made into perfection but at the same time I remember that most mistakes or things you dislike can be turned into a positive or a really good advantage to your writing. It just took me back to all those times I stressed about a paper and any mistakes when really, there were none.

Pegdwende
    Participant

Writing is a social process to me because as the year goes by my writing patterns grows and changes. But at some point, I get stuck upon writing, like I would get lost in thoughts, misplace words and even trying to find a starting point. When I get stuck I feel frustrated and isolated myself from everything. Writing is also helpful to clear many things out of my mind.

A sentence from “Responding–Really Responding–to Other Students’ Writing” that is interesting “You’re a reader, a helper. a colleague. Try to sound like someone who’s a helpful reader. and who’s collegial. Supportive. And remember: Even when you’re tough and demanding you can still be supportive.” I picked this sentence if you are reading someone’s paper you must try to sound like a friendly helpful reader, who supports and give good feedback.

Graan
    Participant

1- I would say that to me I feel like writing is definitely a social process because I can say whatever I want on paper due to the circumstances I also can add ideas to my writing like any innovative ideas. Writing comes natural to me when I feel like I want to write and even when I’m instructed to write by a professor I write to the best of my capabilities and write it with a certain passion, because I tend to add experiences to any type of paper even if a topic is like restricting me from doing so I can still find a way to add personal conflict. The only time I feel lonely writing is when ever I’m not feeling in a good mood and I just want to jot down something to cheer me up like a funny line from the show Family Guy

2- A sentence from “Responding-Really Responding—To Other Students’Writing” that I found very very interesting is this quote the author stated “Not like a teacher. Not like a judge. Not like an editor or critic or shotgun. (Wouldn’t you want someone who was giving you comments not to sound like a teacher’s red pen, a judge’s ruling, an editor’s impatience, a critic’s wrath. a shotgun’s blast?) Sound like you normally sound when you’re speaking with a friend or acquaintance.” I can relate to this quote so much because in high school we would peer edit and all the other students would do is hypocritically edit every other students work and try to make sure they don’t assess them as a teacher would. I feel like they should edit Like they would actually talk to me in person. I definitely edit my peers work like I’m talking to them personal and face to face.

Wu
    Participant

Writing is a social process because when I’m writing, I can pretty much write whatever I want to. Like I can say everything that I’ve kept locked up, and it is nice to be able to let it all out. Sometimes when I’m writing, I do feel kind of lonely, because it is sort of like I’m writing to myself.

“Feel free — in fact, feel obliged — to tell the writer what you like and don’t like.” It’s a great idea to keep in mind when reading over someone else’s paper because everyone wants to improve, so it’s good to tell the writer what you actually think so they can make the changes.

Yan Tao
    Participant

1. I feel like writing is a social process to me because I develop and improve my writing skill the more I write. The writing sometime make me feel isolating since I feel like I was stuck in a room without any connection to outside world when I’m stuck in my writing.

2. One sentence from “Responding–Really Responding–to Other Students’ Writing” that is memorable to me is “But friends don’t let friends think their writing is the best thing since The Great Gatsby and they don’t lead them to think that all is fine and well when it’s not.” It memorable to me because the only way to make people improve their writing is not praise them, this will only hurt them since they will get a terrible score since you didn’t tell them the mistake you find in their writing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.