ENG 1121 D440 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due on 10/1 by 5PM: Research proposal

Edmond
    Participant

1. What discourse community are you writing about? What is the issue or problem in that discourse community that you will address?
    The discourse community I have chosen to write about is the group of Student Workers. The issue in this discourse community is that most students get paid minimum wage as a part-timer which is not enough to supply a student. Students must focus on studies and academics, while maintaining a part-time job. It is difficult for students to balance this time in their lives also giving them a hard time to maintain hobbies and doing things they enjoy.

2. What is your motivation for wanting to write about this discourse community?
    My motivation for wanting to write about this discourse community is because of the fact that most students need to work part-time jobs to support themselves or even help out their own families while attending school. Having such a low minimum wage forces students to work more hours just for a little extra money. Having this issue limits students time in their academics, hobbies, families, and any thing else they can enjoy.

3. What is your research question?
    My research question is: How can raising minimum wage for students help balance their lives?

4. What basic research have you done so far? What information have you found?
    https://essayrepublic.net/blog/daily-problems-working-students-face-every-day

5. What kinds of challenges do you think you might run into as you work on this project?
    Challenges I may run into as I work on this project is that every student has a different situation. Therefore, writing about every personal situation is nearly impossible. Hence, choosing this topic forces me to be general.

Elijaruhith
    Participant

The discourse community, I will be writing about fast food restaurants. I will discuss their problems and how they are being treated unfairly at work. I have worked at fast-food restaurants before. I was miserable there, however, in my paper, I will be discussing the issues an employee deal with every day.

My motivation for this discourse community is my past experience. I have worked at several fast-food restaurants. I was mistreated. The mangers didn’t know to do their job right. There was favoritism. It’s difficult to focus at work and do your job when your team isn’t supporting. In addition, the wages of fast food are very low. There are many employees are being insulted at work by customers. Many Employees have families to take care of also they are dealing with family problems at the same time. rude and disrespectful behavior of customers should unacceptable.

My research question is why there is favoritism at work?
    https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/7/6/20681186/fast-food-worker-burnout
    those two articles talk about low wages and stress at fast-food restaurants.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/07/fast-food-chains-no-poach-clauses-legally-binding.html

Some challenges I might face is finding articles and sources about the problem I will write about. I am writing this paper based on my personal experience. I might have interviews with a current fast food employee

RONALD PERLA
    Participant

1. The discourse community I will be writing about is city techs architecture major. The issue I will be addressing is the issue one has as an architecture student at city tech and not being able to stay as long as one wants to stay because the campus is not a 24 hour open facility. Not everyone in the architecture discourse community can afford the software one as a student is required to use. The majority of architecture students take more than two classes and work starts building off on each other and causes a higher chance of not submitting one’s best work.
    2. My motivation for wanting to write about this discourse community is that I am an architecture student and we hate when we are in our work mode and security comes up to tell us “ we are closing in ten minutes, save your work and shut down”. It makes one get anxious and work builds on top from several different classes and not allowing to submit the best quality work one has.
    3. Research questions
    A. What are the benefits of having a 24 hour campus?
    B. Other 24 hour architecture campus quality work submissions vs non 24 hour campus submission.
    5. The only challenge I might run into as I work on this project is finding the research to support my claim. Which is to show the quality work given in a non 24 hour campus vs the quality work given In a 24 hour campus. This might be a problem because arch students are not all the same and don’t think the same which causes a harder chance of supporting my claim.

Wu
    Participant

1. What discourse community are you writing about? What is the issue or problem in that discourse community that you will address?
    The discourse community that I’m writing about is the people that play video games, gamers.
    So there has been a lot of video games that release some type of ‘loot box’ and such. These loot boxes are sort of like gambling and it is becoming a problem.
    My motivation for wanting to write about this is that I was also addicted to this.
    How to help/reduce people’s addiction to this.
    These loot boxes are based off of gambling machines.
    5. What kinds of challenges do you think you might run into as you work on this project?
    I dont think theres any scholar papers on this problem.

Shawyane
    Participant

The discourse community I will be writing about is stan twitter. A huge problem in stan twitter is the bullying/trolling.

The lack of recognition/ the growing suicide rates caused by online bullying

How can stanbases get a long/ stop bullying each other

Researched several articles on my discourse community, I found out that there are algorithms and tools used to crack down on bullying, especially on social media platforms such as Twitter.

A challenge I might run into as I work on this project is little scholarly information on my discourse community due to not being popular

HiuWang
    Participant

The discourse community I will be writing about Esport, and the big problem and issue about the Esport is gambling

The E-sports betting is a $20 billion industry in last year and it make more than $1.8 billion in annual revenue.

E-sports cheating and E-sports gambling for minors

1.About 80% of global e-sports player are between 10 to 35 years old, and about 27% are between the ages 10 to 20.
    2.Valve bans seven CS:GO pro players from Ibuypower because they was Match fixing
    3.Skin betting is far and away the most popular way to bet within the esports community.
    4.The total handle across all skin betting sites – based – was on pace to exceed $7bn in 2016 prior to Valve’s crackdown(TradeLock).

5.What kinds of challenges do you think you might run into as you work on this project?
    i dont think it gonna be a challenge to me on a research coz im have 5years experience on Esport Skins trading and betting.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.