ENG 1121 D430, Spring 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Week of April 27th

Rebekah Coleman
    Participant

Read (your textbook) Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing: Issue 6
    Answer the following questions:
    *How do different genres speak to different audiences (provide and example). Do they serve the same purpose?
    *Do they use the same rhetorical strategies (ethos, pathos, logos)?
    *Does the author’s voice or “identity” shift between the genres? Explain. Use a real example!

PLEASE TRY TO RESPOND TO EACH OTHER!!!

Kayla
    Participant

Some genres are used with a certain age group in mind. For example, when a company advertises its business in newspapers it is usually because they are targeting those of an older age. Middle-aged people and some teenagers find their information on blogs and social media. Each genre has its own properties that are used to draw the attention of certain people. I believe they serve the same purpose, which is to inform or persuade. Different genres use different rhetorical strategies for example when we get information on social media we don’t usually see ethos. Everyone is allowed to voice their own opinions. When reading a blog ethos is a must. Every blog that I have read has photos of the writer and a background story. If you are going to start a blog on a specific topic you are expected to have experience in that area. The author’s voice and identity shifts in different genres because they would want to speak in a way or present themselves a certain way that would draw the audience’s attention.

Kayla
    Participant

I agree with Ryjll that authors voice and identity shifts. The author does their best to relate to their audience so they can see eye to eye. For example, when writing on a blog to parents the author might identify as a mother/father so that their audience knows that they have too experienced something similar, but when talking to teens said author will explain how they were once a teen and what their teen years were like.

Florence Jiang
    Participant

Genres are made to speak to different audiences. They are made so authors can convince their audience in a more efficient way and to get their point across. For example, a song or a graphic novel is a type of genre an author would use to convince teens. Unlike speeches or a blog where it’s most likely catered to adults. Just like Ryjil Morris said, if you wanted to stop teens to smoke you would most likely to convince them through a commercial where teens can find it easily through their social media. Also the authors has a specific tone for a specific genre, meaning the authors voice can change. For example when an author is trying to get their point across through a speech it’s most likely to be in a more formal way. However if it’s a commercial towards kids you would speak in a more informal tone because you want to draw them in and convince them, not bore them with a formal tone.

1. Different genres speak to different audiences. For example, I want both children and adults to know about the NYC subway system. However, different genres are necessary in order to get information across to different age groups. For instance, if I want children to know about the NYC subway system, I would use a poster in which they are many pictures, using basic vocabulary and short sentences, and making it colorful. However, if adults (transit enthusiasts) want to know about it as well, I can show them either a PowerPoint presentation or a reference book, in which there are advanced terminology and detailed information.
    1b. Different genres serve different purposes, because genres vary the amount of information necessary to get to the point, formatting and style varies, and the audience varies as well… although they may occasionally share the same goal.

2. Different genres may also vary in rhetorical strategies. For instance, guidebooks and presentations may use ethos and logos, while stories mainly use pathos.

3. The author’s voice or “identity” shift between the genres. For instance, if children and their parents were to watch a play, the host(s) of a play have to give background information about it. While the children is interested in seeing the play, the parents would want to have information (verbally) about the play.

Daniel Espinoza
    Participant

1. Different genres speak to different audiences by having a good/convincing message for that specific audience. For example, the audience can vary between age groups like kids and adults. Each audience will get their message in a different way like the newspaper or social media. Overall, the message is still the same and will not change.

2. Some of the genres will use different rhetorical strategies. For example, like a commercial ad for a new toy, they would most likely use pathos to persuade their audience. Also like an informative piece about technology will use ethos and logos.

3. The author’s voice or identity will shift between genres because each genre is different. For example, a school trip to Disneyland where the adult and child are there. The instructor will give a little description to the kids saying like “we are going to wonderland” something of that sort, while for the adult they would a deeper description of where Disneyland, what they will need for the trip, and such.

Ray-Ana W.
    Participant

Depending on the genre different audience can be reached as they get and portray messages to people. Each genre target specific audience. Each use the different rhetorical appeals to bring about the reaction by their audience. Either emotional or logical appeal or anything they can use. The authors voice and identity ca change for each audience. this is done so that they can be favored or even believed more. An example of a genre that can serve different genre the News channel. It tell information about various topics from traffic to and danger that can occur. Genres vary and can address from one to even dozens of different audiences. We just need to know how to identify.

Gianluca Alioto
    Participant

1. Many different genres speak to different audiences because every person has their own opinion. Each genre has a different message that it wants to get across to their audience. I agree what with Florence said and that they are made to convince their audiecne and get their point across. An example of this would be someone trying to convince someone to play a specific sport or to try a food that they think is the best. A big example and one that I agree with is what Ryjll said and the point about getting someone to quit smoking and that kids our age are smoking and its not healthy for them because it affects their health a lot.

2. I think that majority of them use Pathos because it uses their emotions to get their message and point across to a specific audience. They use it because its more emotional and its stronger so that their message hits the audience and affects them. I think that they also use Logos because it uses logic to get their point across.

3. I belive that the authors voice and identity shift between different genres because as what Daniel said each genre is different. An example of this would be going to a sports event and the children would be happy to be there while the adults would find something to talk about with other adults and find an interesting topic to agrue or agree about.

Alexandros Veliz
    Participant

Different genres speak different audience by presenting the information in multiple different ways. This allows the audience to process the information easier and help them catch any information that could have been missed with just one genre. An example of this could if someone were to present an ad for insurance on a bill bored as a picture and a commercial on TV. Two different genres that serve the same purpose.

No, different genres can present different rhetorical strategies. The commercial can use pathos while the bill bored and use ethos.

The author’s voice or “identity” could shift between the genres. It depends on the message and what genre is being used. If someone were to promote a protein shake using the infomercial the would present themselves in a formal tone and appear professional appealing for a more ethos and logos approach. On the other hand if it was promoted as a comical commercial to appeal to Pathos the author might have an informal approach with a more lay back look.

Shannia Thomas
    Participant

Different genres speak to a different audience by being able to analyze the audience as well as its appropriation. For example, an older audience will probably prefer brochures of vacation sites as college students like us would more likely tend to watch blogs. However, they do serve the same purpose but provide information in a different context. You might receive more knowledge from one genre than the other.
    I believe that the use of rhetorical strategies can be interchangeable. For example, if the author is trying to convey to someone feeling they would probably leave toward ethos.
    I agree with Alexandros often time the author’ voice could shift between genres, He provided a nice example. Sometimes an author has to persuade and other time they are informing

Josh Clarke
    Participant

1. Different genres mean different things to do different audiences. These audiences can be divided by age or even culture. The viewpoint of someone who is elderly will be different from someone who is an adolescent. Someone who was brought up in the Caribbean will have a different viewpoint from someone who was brought up in Asia. This same concept applies to reading books and understanding what is the meaning.

2. Majority of these use pathos in order to convey a reaction or emotion.

3. Yes! The identity as well as voice can change between genres. This is a valuable skill to have if executed properly.

Rebekah Coleman
    Participant

These are great! I love how you have included the thinking about genre that we have discussed all year!

Tania
    Participant

1) Different genres talk to different audiences based on their ratings. This could play a part in the different generations as well. For example, older generations still read newspapers frequently. Millenniums and this generation are mostly technology-based. If you’re into videos you could choose to watch a video. If you’re into radio you could listen to podcasts or radio. Another part is that you could still spread the same message on different platforms.
    2) In my opinion, every platform has to use ethos but, when it comes to pathos that’s mostly with videos and podcasts. When it comes to articles it depends on the topic being spoken about or the type of article as well.
    3) I don’t think that the authors identity should shift based on genre. I just think it depends on the topic or the type of genre.

Arnelle Martinson
    Participant

1) Every genre is centered around a different topic. Based on the topic within the genre it is directed to a certain audience. For example, if the genre is based on beauty and art then the audience would most likely be women who are interested in makeup or artistic activities.

2)No, the genres do not always use the same rhetorical strategy. For example ,if the genre is an informational passage than the rhetorical strategies most likely logos. However, if another genre is fantasy the rhetorical strategy would use pathos to show emotion.

3)Yes, and the author’s voice does shift between genres. For example, in an informative newspaper based on the coronavirus pandemic and the numbers of cases, the author’s voice would shift to a voice that is neutral and only addresses the facts based on numbers.

Sahesha
    Participant

Depending on the audience, you may use a particular genre. If you are trying to convince underage kids that vaping is bad, you’re not going to use a newspaper to persuade them but a Snapchat video or go on TikTok. When you have a certain age demographic in mind, you’re required to use a format that works for that group. Depending on the author’s purpose, you would use a specific rhetorical strategy. If you’re trying to get someone to change the error of there ways you might use pathos to guilt-trip them or logos to persuade. The author’s voice shifts between genres to adapt to their environment, like the example used above, if an author wants to convince a sixteen-year-old to stop vaping, using an informal tone would be an advantage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.