ENG 1121 D430, Spring 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Lecture 5 HW Discussion - "Don't Eat Before Reading This" by Anthony Bourdain

Josh Clarke
    Participant

1. Bourdain is writing about a DC. This DC could be chefs or culinary.
    2. This piece is for those who go to restaurants. This piece is for those learning culinary and those who go out to eat at restaurants. Bourdain in my opinion is successful in his attempts of such. He uses logos throughout this piece.
    3. The purpose of this piece is to inform the audience of what happens i restaurant kitchens. The genre is informative meshes well with the purpose.
    4. I quite liked this piece. Even though I am not one to eat at restaurants daily, the information given sounds very useful.

Arnelle Martinson
    Participant

1)Yes, Anthony Bourdain is writing about a discourse community. The discourse community Anthony Bourdain is writing about is the cooking/ community. Within this discourse community, Bourdain describes the chefs as always making sure to care for the restaurant and to value the customers.
    2)In the article, the audience for this discourse community is us and it is also for the people who like to take out or eat at restaurants. I know that we are the audience for this piece because in the article, Bourdain gives us recommendations on what to eat at a restaurant depending on the day . For example, in the text he states, “many fish purveyors don’t deliver on Saturday, so the chances are that the Monday night tuna you want has been kicking around the kitchen… under God knows what conditions.” This text shows Bourdain suggesting the people who go to restaurants often do not eat fish on Mondays.
    3)The purpose of the speech is to provide us information about many different things that take place behind the scenes within the restaurant. The genre of this article is informational. Yes I do believe that the genre and purpose work together because purpose is to inform us about the restaurants and this explains why the genre is informational.
    4)Yes I did enjoy this piece and found it very interesting as well. Now I know what not to eat depending on the particular day I go to a restaurant.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.