ENG 1101 — LC53 — YASSS…..A Course as Bold as You!, Spring 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• This I believe

Haifa Mahmoud
    Participant

Language is a connection. A connection between myself and others. It identifies us as a people, as a group. There are people from all over the world, with different cultures, different ethnicities, and different languages. It is something that we use to communicate with each other, something that allows us to form the words of what we are thinking. Without it no one would be able to express how they feel, what they want, and even who they are. Without it, one would feel a sense of loss. With language we enrich our minds and ourselves, with every unique word, dialect and sound, we embody our thoughts and send it out into the world. To me, language gives me a sense of belonging. I know where I’m from and my own unique language and dialect is a reflection of who I am. When I am in a room full of different people from different nations, I find myself in awe and appreciation of all our different backgrounds. I do not feel isolated but instead appreciative of the world and all its different forms. I feel as if even though we may not speak the same language, we have a mutual understanding of who we are and where we’re from. And we should never shy away from that, but instead take pride in our own backgrounds and our differences.
    Language is so many things. It is not just the different languages spoken in different regions, but it is so much more than that. It is different with every person you talk to. Depending on who you are with, family, friends, teachers, coworkers, you learn to speak differently with each. You change your style, your dialect, even what you choose to say. Language is not one thing but multiple.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.