ENG 1101 Fall 2021 0277

• 11/23 questions on "The Short, Happy Life of Frances Macomber"
  • #75819

Prof. Masiello

6) A short story by Ernest Hemingway, called “The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber”
    https://faculty.washington.edu/jdb/303/Hemingway/The%20Short%20Happy%20Life%20of%20Francis%20Macomber.pdf

(there is an audiobook version, read to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cW7X5B-tCc)

Q a) Notice that the story is out of sequence. Rather than go in chronological order, it starts in the middle, goes back to the beginning, and then ends at the end.

Q b) Why do you think Hemingway chose to do this?

Q c) Who are the three main characters? (Note: Francis is a male name. Frances is a female name.)

Q d) Whom do you think the author wants us to like or dislike?

d) Notice how many things are said about Margot / Margaret: she is openly cheating on her husband and has no remorse. He writes,
    “She was an extremely handsome and well-kept woman of the beauty and social position which had, five years before, commanded five thousand dollars as the price of endorsing, with photographs, a beauty product which she had never used. She had been married to Francis Macomber for eleven years.”

We would consider her a “trophy wife,” which wealthy men often have. Think of all the music performers and athletes with model wives.
    However, when we see an ad does it make a difference to us if we know (or care) if the model actually uses the product?

Q e) Then, what does it say about her integrity to mention she got paid to endorse something she did not use?

f) This couple does not seem to love one another, yet they stay together.

Q f) What is the attraction, what “power” does each have over the other?

g) At the end, Margot deliberately shoots Francis dead.

Q g) Why does she shoot him then, rather than any other time?

Q h) What was happening to make his life short and happy? If you look carefully, there are two scenes in which we get the POV of the lion.

This is a remarkable point of view example: we see up close how the lion is breathing and thinking. It uses limited vocabulary – because it is a lion.

Here is one of the scenes: “The lion still stood looking majestically and coolly toward this object [the lion is seeing the Jeep and doesn’t know the word for it] that his eyes only showed in silhouette, bulking like some super rhino. There was no man smell carried toward his and he watched the object, moving his great head a little from side to side. Then watching the object, not afraid, but hesitating before going down the bank to drink with such a thing opposite him, he saw a man figure detach itself from it and he turned his heavy head and swung away toward the cover for the trees.”

i) It seems Ernest Hemingway has more respect for the lion than the woman.

Q i) In a movie, the camera would show you what the lion is seeing and maybe the sound of his breathing would be heightened. Did you sense something unusual in the two lion’s POV (point of view) scenes, in their wording or did you not notice it?

#76043

Osman Hassan

I’m not exactly sure, but I believe it draws attention to the blatant flirtatious by Mrs. Macomber which may encourage the reader to look into that aspect when the story goes back to the beginning.

Francis Macomber, Mrs. Macomber, Robert Wilson

The author wants us to like Macomber, and dislike both Mrs. Macomber and Robert Wilson.

To me personally, it does not make a difference as I assume most models are saying what they have to say to get their check and don’t actually use the product, whereas others may find a product intriguing when they see their favorite celebrity endorse a product.
    Her integrity’s foundation is money.

Francis Macomber is wealthy, Mrs. Macomber is a beauty.

It really confused me since, it seemed she did not like him for being a coward, but when he finally becomes a “real man” she doesn’t want to accept it and it is then that she shoots him. Though I’m still left wondering, is that the type of person she wanted Francis to be? Why shoot him?

Q h) What was happening to make his life short and happy?
    Short because his life is taken away preemptively by his wife. Happy because he had money, a beautiful wife, and achieved a great feat at the end. At the same time though, his wife was cheating on him, so he wasn’t really happy.

I don’t find anything unusual outright.

#76147

Dmitry Terentyev

(a) I believe it is to keep the readers engaged in the story. It reveals the story in a strategic way instead of narrating it in chronological way, which I think would have taken away the curiosity of readers.

(b) The three main characters are Francis Macomber, Margot and Robert Wilson.

(c) Author wants us to like Francis and dislike Margot and Wilson

(d) I believe people do not really care if the models actually use the products and just buy products impulsively simply because they are their fans and followers.

(e) It surely tells that she does not really care about the experience people might get by using the products she is advertising.

(f) I believe it is because they both are using each other in a way. Like it is mentioned that Margot is a lot prettier than Francis, so for Francis it is her beauty that is making him stay. And Margot is probably staying in the marriage for money.

(g) It is because she realizes at that very moment that he has overcome his cowardice and would not put up with Margot’s behavior and infidelity anymore. She shoots him with the fear that he will leave her eventually.

(h) I believe the short, happy life refers to the very brief moment where Francis feels truly empowered and not held back by his fear and cowardice. The moment when he holds the ground before the water buffalo us brief when Margot shoots him in the head which ends his life.

(i) I did not find anything unusual in the lion’s point of view. And yes, I do feel like the writer has a lot more regard for the lion as he does for the woman in the story. The lion is presented in such a majestic way while the woman is just shown as an adulterer.

#76159

matthewf

(a) I believe it keeps the readers engaged in the story. This makes the readers think back about what they just read about the specific parts.
    (b) The three main characters are Francis Macomber, Margot, and Robert Wilson.
    (d) I believe people don’t really look for the quality but actually go for their favorite people like those who inspire them.
    (e) It shows that she wants money and nothing more.
    (f) I believe it is because they both use each other in a way. As mentioned, Margot is pretty, so for Francis, it is her beauty that makes him stay. And Margot just wants the money.
    (g) She notice that her husband is no longer scared nor afraid to do what was right so she hesitated and killed him.
    (h) Felt betrayed by his wife and thought he has money to take care of himself he wasn’t happy about his wife cheating on him.
    (i) There isn’t much to really find based on the point of view.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)