ENG 1101 Fall 2021 0277

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 10/17 pt. II create a simple quote

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

After you read the material from pt. I, please do the following today and post your result.

I came across a rather unexceptional article and am providing it to you for you to create a quote from. You do not have to read this article, called “Why Movies Will Never Replace Books.” (see Files)

The author’s name is provided. I would like you to create a quote out of the yellow highlighted sentence only. Since the article has no page number, you have to use the writer’s last name in the reference, the parenthetical part. That means you have to omit his name from the tag, but you need the tag, the signal phrase to introduce the quote.

Based on the document I posted earlier today, just make one quote using the first style–the tag before the quote, followed by the reference. PLEASE DO THIS NOW AND POST THE RESULT.

Jaheim Wilson
    Participant

1) John Scherber says, “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its
    principal strength” (Scherber).

You cannot have the author’s name in both places in one quote. That is why I said to use words like “writer,” “author,” “reviewer,” “observer.”

Michael
    Participant

1) in the article Why Movies Will Never Replace Books, By John Scherber he says, “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its
    principal strength”.

You are missing the parenthetical reference and the capitalization in your tag is all off.

Please look at the document again about how to quote.
    Also, published article titles need quotation marks.

matthewf
    Participant

John Scherber says, “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal strength” (Scherber).

You cannot have the author’s name in both places in one quote. That is why I said to use words like “writer,” “author,” “reviewer,” “observer.”

Tatiana
    Participant

John Scherber states “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal Strength.”

You need a comma after “states” to separate the tag from the quote and you MUST have a parenthetical reference.

Please try again.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Tatiana.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Prof. Masiello.

Jose Martinez
    Participant

The author states,”The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal strength” (Scherber).

Yes! Nice work.

Obrien Eastman
    Participant

The author states,”The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal strength” (Scherber).

Good work! Keep in mind that when your research shows several different writers, you should use “One author” rather than “The.”

Daniela S
    Participant

The writer says, “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal strength” (Scherber).

Good work! Keep in mind that when your research shows several different writers, you should use “One writer” rather than “The.”

Osman Hassan
    Participant

One writer states “The very basic limitation of books, the inability to show you everything in the story in all its detail, is also its principal strength” (Scherber).

Just add a comma after the tag and you are good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.