ENG 1101 Fall 2020 OL20 (26956)

• What is parallelism in writing? Please post replies asap
  • #68722

Prof. Masiello

There is a concept in writing improvement that many students may not have ever been taught about: parallelism.

We hear and use the word “parallel” often, but not in the context of an English class.

1. What does the word “parallel” mean?

2. When have you heard it or used it, i.e. in what context.

3. Do you think parallelism in writing is good or bad?

I will send you an easy 20-minute assignment sheet in a couple of days.

#68730

Ashley Adhar

1. What does the word “parallel” mean?
    The word “parallel” means to be side by side and having the same distance between two things.
    I have heard the word “parallel” in math to compare two lines on a graph. I have also heard and used it when it comes to driving and parallel parking.
    Parallelism in writing is the matching of words, phrases or clauses within a sentence. I think parallelism is good in one’s writing as it enhances the message that is being told. In addition to this, it improves clarity and sets your point straightforward.

#68814

Dawood

1) Parallel means sides that do not intersect each other and have the same distance.
    2) I have only used this word in math classes when graphing is involved.
    3) Parallelism in writing is good to add in writings because it helps straighten out the text and making it more clear to get to the point.

#68821

Valentina

1) The word “parallel” generally means two lines that never intersect with each other. This meaning can change depending on the context though. It can also mean “similar”, or “happening at the same time”.
    2) I remember using parallel in math class, and I believe I also used it in English class for a very short period of time. I believe it was used when talking about a story.
    3) I think parallelism in writing is good. It can help emphasize points being made, and it can also improve clarity to make it easier to read for others.

#68831

Nay

1. The word “parallel” in the context of English means when either a person or a thing is similar to something else. While in math it means when two lines extend in the same direction but never touch or meet.

2. I have heard and used it in math, geometry and algebra specifically, where we would describe and measure if different lines are parallel or not.

3. I think parallelism in writing is a good thing because it helps keep your writing organized and helps your writing easier to understand.

#68833

Asif Khan

1.) Parallel means extending in the same direction, everywhere equidistant and never meeting.
    2.) The only time I ever used anything correlating to anything parallel is was in math, where we studied lines that are the same length and will never meet.
    3.) I think parallelism is important in writing so you can move from the topic and grab the readers’ attention.

#68877

Makai

1. What does the word “Parallel” mean?
    It means to go in the same direction and to never intersect with anything

2. When have you heard it or used it?
    I’ve used and heard it in math-related classes.

3.Do you think parallelism writing is good or bad?

I believe that it is good writing because it makes the story much more interesting and I feel like you see it more in poem or story.

#68878

Jaida Clouden

The word Parallel means passing through the same direction as something else. Something that is parallel never intersects but they have the same path.

I have mostly heard of the word Parallel in math class.

I think that parallel in writing is a good thing because that means you are writing something in the direction as everyone else, but you aren’t crossing paths with them, meaning that you aren’t writing the same thing. You are writing about the same topic which is where similarities can be seen.

#68884

Jakia W

Parallel means having an equal amount of distance between 2 things facing the same direction.
    I only hear parallel in math and science class.
    I think parallel writing is good because it can enhance our writing skills and I think it will keep writers on topics without wandering off. it will help with writing about a certain topic but don’t cross paths with another topic that is similar in ways.

#68889

Eduard Khanukayev

1. Parallel means when two objects travel in the same direction and they never meet or
    intersect.

2. I have heard it a lot in geometry, more specifically the term parallel lines.

3. Parallelism is a good thing because it helps the author make a story sound better, and it makes
    the reading easier to understand.

#68906

Wei Ni

1. What does the word “parallel” mean?
    To be equal and connected to each other, related to each other, similar or analogous to another.

In math, That’s where I hear it used alot, objects that are side by side and having the same distance between them.

Parallelism writing is more complete in my opinion, it feels more relaxed and flows super smoothly.

#68954

Melina Tlatelpa

1. What does the word “parallel” mean?

Parallel means when two lines don’t meet but they are the same length

I heard of it in math. I’ve had to solve problems with parallel lines.

I think that it is good because parallel means the same 2 things. It can be lines according to math. But, there can also be two things being compared in English.

#68957

Prof. Masiello

Nice work, Elda. We also sometimes hear of a “parallel universe,” which usually means another world like Earth, but with key differences written by sci-fi writers often to comment on society.

PS angles or angels? : )

#68959

Prof. Masiello

Melinda,

I think the lines only have to be going in the same direction without intersecting. They do not have to be the same length.

Imagine you put a can of soda on a table and next to it a bottle of milk. If you imagine extending their vertical lines, those lines do not meet hence the two items are parallel.

#68960

Prof. Masiello

Wei,

You are absolutely right that parallelism in writing is desirable and creates a better flow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)