ENG 1101 Fall 2020 OL20 (26956)

• Horror
  • #69299

Prof. Masiello

Please feel free to express your opinions about either or both of the horror films I recently posted.

#69444

Dawood

I loved the horror movie Rosemary’s baby it’s very interesting to watch because the whole movie is like deja vu. The main character knew something was wrong but was always tricked by other people and shocking moments where she knew everyone was after her but slowly tried to getaway. The movie does a good job of showing the problems and the effects and it has very scary turning points in the end where it makes it look like Rose will kill someone but she doesn’t know there are many witches around her that she cant handle.

#69445

Ashley Adhar

The film Rosemary’s Baby was very interesting, it was nothing like I expected. It started off like any regular movie but then suspense was always added. For example, when the girl named Terry who Rosemary met died right after their meeting. It added suspense and questioning. The film followed many aspects of a horror movie. The music, the odd older people and beliefs made the movie such an interesting horror film. In addition to this, the transitions in the movie made it more thought provoking.

#69469

Prof. Masiello

Elda, You made some very interesting comments adding a note of seriousness to this entertaining movie.

I also feel it shows the power of motherhood: Rosemary accepts and loves her child at the end, even though he is essentially a monster.

#69479

Prof. Masiello

Dawood,

Rosemary was always rather timid and vulnerable. She picked up a knife from her kitchen when she did not know what to expect but when she realized her baby was in the room with all the people sitting around and the baby had not died—as she was told, she dropped the knife. I think most audience members wanted her to succeed and to logically defend herself if she had to.

#69482

Prof. Masiello

Ashley,

One of the best things about Rosemary’s Baby is how it mixes a great deal of humor with suspense, like when Rosemary says to Guy that they are going to have a party and the guests have to be under 60 to be invited, and when one of the neighbors, a chubby woman with glasses, sticks her tongue out at Rosemary in a childish manner. The dialogue and acting are excellent.

I do not know what you mean by transitions, by the way.

#69488

Ashley Adhar

The humor with the suspense altogether makes it one of a kind. By transitions, I meant how the scene forwards to a different part. For example, when Hutch called to meet with Rosemary and it forwarded to the morning when Rosemary went to meet him and found out he had a coma. I feel like that left me in shock and suspense as well since I expected her to find out some hidden secret. upon their meeting.

#69509

Nay

Although I’m not a fan of horror movies, I truly enjoyed watching “The Shining”. Even though it contained the typical characteristic of a horror film such as the creepy music, isolated hotel, ghost and odd child which was Danny and his imaginary friend Tony in this case, I felt as if it was not your typical horror film as each scene left you in suspenese and you were not aware of what was going to happen next as I was not expecting Jack to lose his mind and act out the way that he did esspecially when he was conversing with his wife Wendy as she only came to check up on him and ask how he was doing.

#69526

Prof. Masiello

Yes, Nay, The Shining does have all the trappings of a horror film, but it is done with such attention to detail that it is quite special. The class would probably be surprised at how dissected and discussed this film is. One look at youtube and you’d see many, many video articles on the film’s meaning and artistry.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)