ENG 1101 Fall 2020 OL20 (26956)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• First week's work...

Jakia W
    Participant

I love to write. Writing is a way to express yourself. Writing is a way to open your thoughts and use the mind. The kinds of writing I do aside from class work is creative writing and I write in journals from time to time. I love to read. I like to read mystery, novels, nonfiction, and fiction. I don’t subscribe to any magazines. I do read news article online. I don’t have a favorite author. I feel that I write better than I speak because my generation mostly speaks in slang and I don’t write the way I talk. The parts of my face and body I use when I speak is the larynx(voicebox),vocal cords, mouth, and jaw. I can change the tone and volume of my voice to help convey my message. I think good writers use their creativity, figurative language, transition words, and cliffhangers to make their writing effective and enjoyable. Writers like me can add the emphasis and emotion that speakers use in their voices and body language by using appeal to emotion fallacy, being very descriptive, using the 5 senses, and use first person.

Punctuation mark used: , . :
    Punctuation mark no sure about using: ;

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Makia,

I am replying to your various posts in one.

I will explain the various punctuation marks for Thursday’s class.

Most of the class probably does not write stories, as you imply about Jill’s raspy voice. So what do essay writing students do to be more effective, to make their words count? (This is a question not just for Makai.)

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Well, Ashley, we all use hand gestures, especially when we are emotionally involved. Many TV commentators (“talking heads” on the news) and so many others who are using Zoom, realize that their hands don’t show–or would get in the way of the screen.

There is a way that writers can show emotion, tone of voice, and emotion. We will be seeing that next class.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Those curly looking marks { } are for editors, not for everyday writers.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Jaida,

Notice that what you do with your voice and hands seems effective. It is instinctive. You never needed a class to learn how.

Writing, though, is different. We need to learn it. What writers learn to do is, as you mentioned, to add details, but also to use punctuation in a sophisticated way. Eventually, we learn to punctuate to reflect how we wish to sound. You will see…

PS I always preferred DC over Marvel and both companies do interesting films.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Alhasen,

Your list of punctuation marks is pretty good. We will discuss those and others very soon.

You will be surprised about how we can actually change the way our writing sounds by using those many marks wisely.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Dawood,

At first, I thought you used to read to others, as if your reading skills were more advanced than theirs. But I think your word order, called syntax, was off and you meant stories intended FOR children.

If you download the app Grammarly, which is free, it will help when you write on pages like this.

You will know it is there. Unfortunately, Grammarly doesn’t kick in when we use Word.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Hello, Saba,

Your answers were very thorough and detailed!

We will cover the punctuation you listed soo,

By the way, you said writers can use foreshadowing. That is true when one writes a story or narrative. When writes expository work, like essays, that device doesn’t work. But the term “literary devices” does include items all writers can use, like metaphors, parallelism, alliteration. We will eventually cover those.

Eduard Khanukayev
    Participant

If i’m going, to be honest writing isn’t my favorite thing to do, however, when I am not restrained by anything it’s my favorite thing to do. Sometimes when i’m bored I would just sit down, and write a poem consisting of a style like Greek tragedies. Something that I don’t like mentioning but is true is that my grammar sometimes is not the best.
    I both do and don’t like reading. I thoroughly enjoy a great greek tragedy, however, I can’t stand a romance novel. When it comes to subscriptions I am not subscribed to anything. I do read newspapers to inform myself of current world events. An author that writes books I like to read is Stephen King.
    For me I speak better then I write, and the reason for this is when I am talking to somebody, they see me and I can use my hands and face to better explain an event or express an emotion. People, in my opinion, understand a situation better when they see it, and with my hands and face, I can show people what was going on.
    Some things that I think good writers do, is explain situations in different ways, and the way that they portray the setting, time, and overall atmosphere of the page makes it very enjoyable.
    We can add special types of punctuation and different phrases that would rattle someone, in the aspect of horror or excite someone, in the aspect of fantasy.

Punctuation used: ! ? “ ” , () : ; .
    Punctuation i’m not sure how to use: () ; :

Eduard Khanukayev
    Participant

If i’m going, to be honest writing isn’t my favorite thing to do, however, when I am not restrained by anything it’s my favorite thing to do. Sometimes when i’m bored I would just sit down, and write a poem consisting of a style like Greek tragedies. Something that I don’t like mentioning but is true is that my grammar sometimes is not the best.
    I both do and don’t like reading. I thoroughly enjoy a great greek tragedy, however, I can’t stand a romance novel. When it comes to subscriptions I am not subscribed to anything. I do read newspapers to inform myself of current world events. An author that writes books I like to read is Stephen King.
    For me I speak better then I write, and the reason for this is when I am talking to somebody, they see me and I can use my hands and face to better explain an event or express an emotion. People, in my opinion, understand a situation better when they see it, and with my hands and face, I can show people what was going on.
    Some things that I think good writers do, is explain situations in different ways, and the way that they portray the setting, time, and overall atmosphere of the page makes it very enjoyable.
    We can add special types of punctuation and different phrases that would rattle someone, in the aspect of horror or excite someone, in the aspect of fantasy.

Punctuation used: ! ? “ ” , () : ; .
    Punctuation i’m not sure how to use: () ; :

Valentina
    Participant

A) I like to write because I enjoy putting things on paper. I write script, and I think it looks very nice, but whether it’s a drawing or writing words down, I just find it enjoyable. Aside from classwork, I like to write down lyrics when I feel strongly about a certain topic, or an event that happened to me or a friend. It’s almost like a poem, but it has a different feeling from a poem. I also used to do journal writing a lot, but I stopped.

C) I absolutely love to read. I used to get in trouble in middle and high school for reading books while a class was going on. When I read, it plays out like an actual movie in my head. I get so caught up in books sometimes, I just feel like I can’t put it down. I think I read a little bit of everything, including comics and manga, but I do think that I have a preference over realistic fiction. I don’t think I have a favorite author, but one of my favorite books is called “Everything I Never Told you” by Celeste Ng.

D) I believe that for me, this depends on the topic I would be talking or writing about. Most times I am able to explain myself without any difficulty, but there are certain times when me verbally talking about it is easier than writing it, or me writing it down is easier that me verbally saying it.

E) Sometimes if I am explaining something to someone, I like to do a quick sketch with words for the person to understand it better. Or sometimes I make a lot of hand movements.

F) For me, some things writers do that make my reading experience more enjoyable is going into a lot of detail. Using imagery or simile is good too. I also find it nice when they use metaphors and such.

G) What I could do to add more emphasis and emotion speakers use in their body language is definitely going into a lot of details. At least for me, most of the time that’s how I feel more emotion in writing.

H) Punctuation marks used in writing are: : , () ‘ ” . ? ! ; – * ~
    Punctuation marks I am not sure about using: ` {} [] |

Melina Tlatelpa
    Participant

I like to write at times. But I don’t do it often. I keep a journal but I write in it at least once a week. I kind of like to read. Once in a while, I borrow a book at the library. Every day I usually read news articles online. At times I also read things that are trending on Twitter. I do not have a favorite author. I feel like I write better than I speak because when I speak sometimes I end up running out of words and then don’t know what to say anymore. When I write I feel like I do a good job and get my message through. When I speak I usually use hand gestures. I think that writers have to write a lot of drafts and also edit their work so their writing can be perfect. I think that writers could add more details.
    A list of punctuation marks using in writing : .!?,:”;’(){][]

A list of punctuation marks I dont know how to use : (){][]

Nay
    Participant

A- I’ve enjoyed writing ever since I was a kid. I looked at writing as a way for me to express myself and a chance to show my creative side. Aside from class work, I like writing in my journal because it help me express emotions that I am not able to form in words.
    C- I also enjoy enjoy reading and always have growing up. I like reading multiple genres such as drama, mystery, and romance but i am not subscribed to any magazines. Aside from books, I mostly read news articles rather than newspapers since they are easily more accessible. I do not have a favorite author due to being exposed enjoying various types of writing styles from different authors.
    D- I feel as if I speak and write very well. Due to being a very social individual and having a huge liking for writing, it is very easy for me to have a conversation with others and easy for me to write.
    E- To help get my message across, I tend to mostly use my hands to show a visual representation of what I am trying to say.
    The tone of your voice can help you convey your message. Having a specific tone helps your audience understand what you’re trying to say without you directly saying it. For example, speaking in an aggressive tone shows your audience that you are angry without you directly saying that you are.
    F- I think good writers do multiple things to make their writing effective and enjoyable. Some use a specific type of modern writing style depending on the type of readers they are trying to attract. For example authors that attract older readers use profanity or sexual language while authors that attract younger readers use slang words. They also use different point of views such as first, second, and third person to help readers better understand the characters emotions and actions.
    G- Writers like me can write more personal experiences, use more body language , and expressing the characters thoughts to help add more emphasis and emotion that speakers use in their voices and body language.
    H- Punctuation marks that are used in writing is quotation marks (“), colon (:), semi colon (;), exclamation mark (!), question mark (?), slash (/), hyphen (-), comma (,) and apostrophe (‘)
    I- Punctuation marks i am not sure about using
    {}, :, ;

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Hello, Nay,

I will be explaining that odd punctuation marks before our next “class.”

I am not sure what you mean by more body language in your writing. What I know one can use is sophisticated punctuation.

As for using profanity, I strongly recommend that students do not resort to such language.

Collegiate writing should be intellectual and proper, don’t you think?

Nay
    Participant

Good Evening Professor, my apologies I wasn’t referring to students when I used profanity as an example perhaps I should’ve worded my point more clearly. When I mentioned profanity I was thinking of authors specifically that have written books for older audiences such as adults would use profanity in their writing. But you are right Collegiate writing should be proper and intellectual and I would never use profanity in writing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.