ENG 1101 English Composition I, section OL 0110

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Sept. 6 and Sept. 8 complex sentences, subordination, and short stories

Ariel Benmoshe
    Participant

1) FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yes, so.

2) Rather than, as much as, after, although, since, unless, whoever, wherever, whichever, as if, whether, until, so that, how, whose.

3) A context in which some people are not “equal” can be a boss/supervisor and employee situation. The boss stays above the rest, reminding everyone he is in power and control. It’s ironic because both parties want the same goal, which is to better the business/company.

4) 1. I’m thrilled because I am going to Italy this year!
    2. After a long day of work, I’m always ready to go to sleep.
    3. I reorganized the entire pantry after I came home from school.
    4. Due to his excellent performance, Michael was awarded the most valuable player trophy.
    5. While my parents were having dinner, I was preparing the dessert.

5) The difference between a phrase and a clause is that a phrase is any collection of words that behaves like a part of speech, but a clause is any noun phrase plus a verb.

6) Clause- a unit of grammatical organization next below the sentence in rank and in traditional grammar said to consist of a subject and predicate.
    Phrase- a small group of words standing together as a conceptual unit, typically forming a component of a clause.

7) A short story is a brief fictional prose narrative that is shorter than a novel and that usually deals with only a few characters.

8) Short story- a story with a fully developed theme but significantly shorter and less elaborate than a novel.

9) I can’t fully remember the names of any short stories I have read, alone or in school. However, I do remember a prominent author of poems and short stories by the name Edgar Allan Poe. Hopefully this is sufficient enough.

ky
    Participant

Fanboy: For, And, Nor, Or, Yet, So
    2) Wherever, Whenever, So that, In case of, however, after, although, as, as long as, by the time, even though
    3)Racism shows people being treated unequal and people feeling that they are inferior and more than someone else.
    4).
    1. I love watching action movies with my family, but they would rather watch romance movies.
    2. I really like the new Nike that just came out, but I don’t have enough money.
    3. My friends like to listen to music in class, so my teacher played it on the speaker.
    4. Jacob likes the military, but his mother doesn’t want him to go.
    5. Cake tastes very good and most people like it, but it’s very unhealthy.
    5) “A phrase delivers some meaning or idea but is not complete”.
    6) “A clause is a group of words that contain a subject and verb”.
    7) A short story is a story that you can read in 20 minutes and a work of prose fiction that you can read in one sitting
    8)A short story is a story that is quick but filled with emotion.
    9) “The girl who owned a city” by O.T Nelson

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.