ENG 1101 English Composition I, section OL 0110

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Sept. 6 and Sept. 8 complex sentences, subordination, and short stories

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Today I will post work for Tuesday Sept. 6 and Thursday Sept. 8
    Please answer numbers 1 through 9 right away. It is classwork.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    First, we need a bit of a review about complex sentences since many students had some trouble with these.
    Remember: compound sentences have two complete thoughts and are joined by a comma + a FANBOYS word (a coordinating conjunction).

1) The acronym FANBOYS is an easy way to remember them. Please write down the FANBOYS words.
    Keep in mind the prefix co- is used for words that show equality. A co-owner also owns something; a co-ed class has both male and female students and they are treated equally.
    A compound sentence has two grammatically “equal” thoughts (also called “independent clauses) and is joined by a coordinating word.

2) Please list at least 15 subordinating conjunctions. You can Google them.

Keep in mind, the prefix sub- which you see in such words as subterranean, subway, submarine, has to do with things below.
    The phrase subordinating conjunction suggests a relationship that is not equal.

3) Name a context in which some people are not “equal” and therefore would be considered subordinate to others.

When you have a subordinating conjunction (item 2), you will have a situation in which the two clauses
    are grammatically unequal, meaning one can stand alone as independent, but the other clause is “dependent” on the independent one and the dependent one cannot stand alone as a full sentence.
    Please see the document from Sept. 1 for examples and not how the dependent half—the half that contains the subordinating word, like “when” or “since”—can be placed first or in the middle, and not the need for a comma or not.
    4) Either copy your own complex sentences from that last class (if they were correct) or write new ones. You are assigned five good ones to copy and/or write here:
    5) Please Google the difference between phrases and clauses. Our writing is composed of all sorts of combinations .
    6) Write down their definitions.
    7) Also Google what a “short story” in literature is. It is not a children’s story, a fairy tale, or a fable about foxes and crows.

8) Please write down a definition of a short story. It is a work of fiction. ( Our readings in and out of college are either called “fiction” or “nonfiction.” Novels are the most well-known examples of fiction. Poems and plays are their own category, so only short stories and novels are considered fiction in your college-level readings.)

9) Can you name any short story titles that you may have read in high school?
    Their titles should be enclosed in quotation marks, like Poe’s “The Pit and the Pendulum.”

We will be reading three stories this week. They are linked below. Only two out of the three are short stories. One is an essay.

THERE WILL BE QUESTIONS ON EACH READING for you to post replies to.

What is below the solid line are the readings.
    Please read the first two for Thursday. You will be provided question on them on or by Thursday.
    The links are below.

_____________________________________________________________________________________(a one-page story) “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cristianaziraldo.altervista.org_wp-2Dcontent_uploads_2014_09_Girl-2DJamaica-2DKincaid.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=pRW6ZPn_LDv0DnDIAK65Ad0CA4hBS-2mAmNa2_oHfF0&r=O8LwmqGHuHWzP1L8uhPVsE3PNpSB57fOrRMhaywrDF0&m=hudqhsbs7upUA75FwpLEQm6lJHV6PVSOmA9W-sBJcXY&s=GwMDHXCldE_Rye9f7YxIbYhHVzXUKO7mCzwTueayVzo&e=

______________________________________________________________________________

“Salvation” by Langston Hughes This is part of a memoir, it is non-fiction.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.chino.k12.ca.us_cms_lib8_CA01902308_Centricity_Domain_2273_Salvation.Annotated.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=pRW6ZPn_LDv0DnDIAK65Ad0CA4hBS-2mAmNa2_oHfF0&r=O8LwmqGHuHWzP1L8uhPVsE3PNpSB57fOrRMhaywrDF0&m=hudqhsbs7upUA75FwpLEQm6lJHV6PVSOmA9W-sBJcXY&s=CK4KgmDwsHYnlyrmX41u5dxttf7ecaRsy7g_vfC8pAU&e=

_____________________________________________________________________________

“<span class=”il”>Young</span> <span class=”il”>Goodman</span> <span class=”il”>Brown</span>” by Nathaniel Hawthorne (a classic short story), longer than the other readings.

https://www.owleyes.org/text/<span class=”il”>young</span>-<span class=”il”>goodman</span>-<span class=”il”>brown</span>/read/<span class=”il”>young</span>-<span class=”il”>goodman</span>-<span class=”il”>brown</span>#root-219816-76

Elin Louz
    Participant

1) FANBOYS : For , And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, And So.
    2: 1. After 2. Although 3. As 4. Because 5. Even if 6. Even though 7. If 8. Once 9. Rather than 10. That 11. Unless 12. Why 13. While 14. Until 15. Whenever.
    3) A context in which some people can feel unequal in possible workplaces. Where the employers can feel superior to the employees, Which can sometimes feel as if the employers have more freedom in the workplace.
    4) 1. Because he got angry again, He would don’t be leaving his room. 2. While I love baking , I prefer cooking. 3. Whenever it’s hot out, I like to wear my shorts. 4. Although it was hot out, I still felt a bit cold. 5. While I was sleeping, My brother woke up.
    6) A phrase is any collection of words that are a part of speech an example is a noun . A clause is any noun phrase plus verb.
    8) As per Google , A short story is a fully developed theme but significantly shorter and less elaborate than a novel.
    9) ” The Necklace” – by Guy De Maupassant.

Tiffany O
    Participant

1.) F: for
    A: and
    N: nor
    B: but
    O: or
    Y: yet
    S: so

2.)
    1.) After
    2.) When
    3.) Where
    4.) While
    5.) Although
    6.) As
    7.) Until
    8.) Before
    9.) Because
    10.) How
    11.) Than
    12.) Since
    13.) Though
    14.) Reason
    15.) Place

3.) A context where people are not considered “equal” or “subordinate” to others could be school or any political setting. Like a courthouse or government office building.

4.)
    1.) My tea was boiling, so I took it off the stove.
    2.) Although I studied all night, I still didn’t understand the exam.
    3.) Whenever I go to the beach, I like to bring a book to read.
    4.) While I was cooking, my brothers were cleaning.
    5.) I never cry, until I’m angry.

6.) The difference between clauses and phrases. Clauses are noun phrases with a verb. They don’t always have to be sentences. Phrases are collections of words that behave as a part of speech.

7.) Taken from Merriam-Webster. “an invented prose narrative shorter than a novel usually dealing with few characters and aiming at unity of effect and often concentrating on the creation of mood rather than plot.”

8.) A short story is a piece of writing that is shorter than a novel. Instead of plot and development, it focuses on a message or “mood” of the story.

9.) 1.) “Interpreter of Maladies” by Jhumpa Lahiri
    2.) “The Other Place” by Mary Gaitskill
    3.) “Speech Sounds” by Octavia E. Butler

Shane Osbourne
    Participant

1.) FANBOYS: “For”, “And”, “Nor”, “But”, “Or”, “Yet”, “So”

2.) Subordinating Conjunctions: Because, After, Until, Whenever, Why, Than, since, Once, Before, Although, As, That, While, If, When.

3.) Racism is an Unequal context in society because one race was/is more powerful than all the other races in the world.

4.)
    1) Because it started to rain, I brought an umbrella with me outside.
    2) Since it’s my birthday, I planned a party.
    3) Whenever the moon came out, the wolfs howled.
    4) I went to the doctor because I was sick.
    5) The movie was amazing although it was short.

6.) A phrase is any collection of words that behaves like a part of speech. A clause is any noun phrase plus a verb; they can be sentences, but they don’t always have to be.

8.) A story with a fully developed theme but significantly shorter and less elaborate than a novel.

9.) “Louisa please come home” By Shirley Jackson.

Manahill Arshad
    Participant

1: Fanboy words are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet so.

2. 1. after 2. although 3. where 4. since 5. before 6. which 7. while 8. who 9. if than 10. because 11. if than 12. even if 13. last 14. whoever 15. provided.

3. Places where it feels unequal is where it is a white neighborhood you can see that white people think that they are more superior than any other race or color.

4. Although he was rich, he was still unhappy. After I came home, I made dinner. Since we are late, we don’t have to stop. we visited the beach before sunset. I learned English because I studied very hard.

5. a phrase does not have a subject while a clause has a subject.

6. phrase mean put into a particular form of words. A clause means a group of words, which has one criterion.

7. Short Story Definition. We know well that a short story is “a work of fiction that is usually written in prose, often in narrative format.

9. The lottery by Shirley Jackson

Hao Yu M
    Participant

1) The fanboy words are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.
    2) The examples of subordinating conjunctions: before, after, as, if, unless, where, when, until, that, then, once, since, why, while, till.
    3) People with racism will have bias against others with different skin color since they consider themself are superior and supposed to have more than others.
    4) a) I am late because the train didn’t come on time.
    b) He’s preparing for his wife’s birthday while she is on a trip.
    c) I love eating snacks while watching a movie.
    d) They decided to break-up since they don’t love each other anymore.
    e) She’s crying over their breakup, although they were no longer in love.
    6) The main difference between clauses and phrases is that clauses have both a subject and a predicate; phrases do not.
    8) A short story is a piece of prose fiction that usually can be read in one sitting and focus on a self-contained incident or series of linked incidents, with the intent of evoking a single effect or mood.
    9) “All summer in a day” by Ray Bradbury

Tahreem Imran
    Participant

1. Fanboys:- For, Nor, And, But, Or, So, and Yet.

2. Although, after, before, because, how, if, once, since, so that, until, unless, when, though, while, even though.

3. A context in which some people are not “equal” is social class. People judge each other by there class and how they look.

4. 1. I’m really excited because I might go back to my home country next year. 2. My friends threw me a party because I graduated. 3. While my brother is a passionate Fortnite fan, he prefers studying. 4. I cleaned my room after I came home. 5. I went to see the doctor because I was sick.

5. The difference between the phrase and clause is that a phrase is any collection of words that behaves like a part of speech while a clause is any noun phrase plus a verb; they can be sentences, but they don’t always have to be.

6. -A phrase is a group of words which act together as a grammatical unit.
    – A clause is a constituent that comprises a semantic predicand and a semantic predicate.

7. A short story in literature is an invented prose narrative shorter than a novel usually dealing with a few characters.

8. A short story is a piece of prose fiction that typically can be read in one sitting and focuses on a self-contained incident or series of linked incidents, with the intent of evoking a single effect or mood.

9. “The things they carried” by Tim O’Brien.

Viviana
    Participant

1) FANBOYS
    for
    and
    nor
    but
    or
    yet
    so

2)once, while, when, whenever, where, wherever, before, after, now, that, only, only if, provided that, since, so

3) House market when people are trying to buy houses, and the people who are selling it, sell it to those are different color or their appearance seems as if they are wealthy. This shows how people are “unequal” especially in this time and era.

4) I stood up all night studying, so I should be able to pass my exam
    My daughter likes pizza, but only likes the cheese.
    I go to work in the morning, to only get tipped so little by costumers.
    My daughter loves to be with her friends, but prefers to be her sister.
    I broke my table, now I have to buy a new one at bobs furniture.

5) The difference between a phrase and a clause is that a phrase does not include a subject doing an action, and a clause is a group of words that contains a subject or verb that have a relationship.

6) A phrase is a group of pairing words that does not include a subject and verb.
    A clause is a group of words containing a subject and predicate and functioning as a member of a complex.

7) A short story is more focused on its theme, it contains less characters, and much more shorter than a novel.

8) A short story is the form encourages economy of setting, concise narrative, and focuses on a twisting plot. It’s with the intention grab the attention and provoke any feelings or connected with the the story.

9) “The yellow wall-paper” by Charlotte Perkins

Ali Ammar
    Participant

A)
    For
    And
    Nor
    But
    Or
    Yet
    So
    B)
    After, Because, Before, Since, Than
    That, Until, Once, Where, Whether
    Though, Who, Even, Whoever, Whom
    C) A common office workplace is a good example of where people are subordinate, not equal.
    D)
    1) After spending all night studying, I’m ready to take the test.
    2) Before class starts, I need to prepare and leave on time.
    3) If the train gets delayed, I can’t make it to class on time.
    4) If I dont work out, i’m going to continue being stressed.
    5) Because I missed the bus, I had to wait 20 minutes for the next one
    E) A phrase is a collection of thoughts that dont complete a sentence, while clauses are a connection of thoughts that complete a sentence.
    F) A short story is a fully developed story thats less elaborate than a full novel.
    G) I cannot fully recall a short story I read in high school.

Labeled them in letters as it made the sentences easier to list with numbers.

Zacarah King
    Participant

Mostly good work, Zachara.

1) The acronym FANBOYS is used to remember the following conjunctions: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So.

2) Subordinating conjunctions introduce a subordinate clause, they connect dependent clauses to independent clauses. Examples of subordinating conjunctions are Although, Before, After, Because, Once, Even though, Whereas, When, Until, Supposing, Since, How, If, So that, as soon as, Rather than, and in contrast to. Not sure about the bolded one.

3) A context in which some people are considered subordinate to others and not ‘“equal”: A professor and a teacher assistant, a teacher and a student, an employer and an employee, a cadet and a sergeant, a colonel and a lieutenant.

Of the sentences below,1, 2,and 5 are compound, not complex.

Number 3 is compound and complex because it has two independent clauses and one dependent one.

Unfortunately you needed five complex sentences here. Right?

4.) 1. She walked from school late at night, so she made sure to walk under the bright street lights.
    2. I have been feeling really stressed, so I signed up for a spinning class on Fridays and a yoga class on Saturdays.
    3 . She majored in computer science, yet she always wonders what her college experience would have been like if she majored in literature.
    4. I forgot to read the material for today’s lesson, I felt very uncomfortably lost and didn’t understand most of it. Number 4 is not correct. It is a comma-splice and has no conjunction.
    5. I just bought tickets to see a Forest Gump reshowing, so I plan on wearing my “Run Forest Run” t-shirt. In these response windows, you can and should underline or italicize movie and novel titles.

5) Phrases behave like a part of speech; adverbial phrases, adjectival phrases, and noun phrases. A phrase contributes meaning to the sentence by providing additional information about that subject, object, setting, or verb. A sentence can be made up of phrases, however, an isolated phrase can not work as a complete sentence. A clause is any noun phrase in addition to a verb: they can be sentences, but they do not have to be. When writing a sentence, a clause is a complete thought that contains a subject and a verb. source: Khan Academy. YES!

8) A short story in literature can be defined as a brief fictional prose narrative, that is shorter than a novel and typically only deals with a few characters. It is usually around a singular effect or mood that is conveyed in one or more significant scenes or episodes. The story focuses on a self-contained incident or a series of linked incidents that evokes a single attitude or outcome. The most sufficient way to identify them is to look for both a subject and a verb. If you can find both, then it is a clause. If you can only find one or the other, then it is a phrase.

9.) Short stories that I have read in high school are “ The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, “The Ballad of the Sad Cafe “by Carson McCullers, and “Of mice and men” by John Steinbeck”.‹ All major wordsin titles need capitalized first letters.

This last title is tecnically a novella–a short novel, rather than a short story. These are wonderful readings you have mentioned.

Haider
    Participant

1) Fanboy words are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet so.

2) Because, After, Until, Whenever, Why, Than, since, Once, Before, Although, As, That, While, If, When.

3) A context in which some people are not “equal” is social class. People judge each other by there class and how they look.

4) Don’t leave the restaurant until the dishes here are washed.
    While playing football, the ball thrown by my friend hit the boy crossing the street.
    The game we went to at the mall today was so much fun no matter how long it lasted.
    I saw him going to work in the morning when I was going to school.
    Although I worked hard, I got a very low grade from the exam and stayed in the classroom.

5) a phrase does not have a subject while a clause has a subject.

6) A phrase is a group of pairing words that does not include a subject and verb.
    A clause is a group of words containing a subject and predicate and functioning as a member of a complex.

7) A short story is more focused on its theme, it contains less characters, and much more shorter than a novel.

8) A short story is a piece of prose fiction that typically can be read in one sitting and focuses on a self-contained incident or series of linked incidents, with the intent of evoking a single effect or mood.

9) “The things they carried” by Tim O’Brien.

Isaiha Ryan Rivera
    Participant

English Composition

1) The mnemonic device “Fanboys” stands for coordinating conjunctions:
    For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, And So

2) Subordinating Conjunctions ~
    – Presently, whereas, in summary, gradually, In Fact, conversely, lest, provided that, in order that, though, unless, but that, as far as, lest now that, once.

3) Relationships that are in context of people being unequal to each other, could be situations like how a professor is in a position of teaching, as his students internalizes their studies they have provided.

4) Sentences:
    1- Maribel and her pig found the lucky lottery ticket, now that they found money, she’s going to buy the farm.
    2- Tony missed his wife as much as her father, who teared rivers on her casket.
    3- ” Well Barney that boy has been missing for months as far as we know he may be dead.”
    4- The siblings needed to now live with their uncle since their parents were in that accident.
    5- If the law is enacted the streets will be in riot unless it is appealed quickly.

5) A clause could be defined as a term in a which consists of a subject and a predicate. Phrases usually interrupt clauses and add more information.

6) Google translated definitions:
    Clause ~ a unit of grammatical organization that consists of a subject and predicate.
    Phrase ~ a small group of words that are a conceptual unit, that forms a component of a clause.

7) A short story in literature is a fully developed theme, that is incredibly short and less elaborated than a novel.

8) A short story is defined by its finite brevity which could be (5,000 words to 10,000 words) Anything less could be considered as a flash fiction.

9) Has reference to:
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
    The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
    The Lottery by Shirly Jackson

~ memory may vary

Jakobi Phillips
    Participant

1. FANBOYS: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So,

2. Subordinating Conjunctions: After, Because, Until, Whenever, While, Although, As, Though, Reason, Place, Since, Before, Where, When, Than, Once

3. A context in which people can feel unequal in possible workplaces include the relationship between an employee and their harsh supervisor in which the employee is constantly reminded their place in the hierarchy.

4. I like to eat candy before I watch a movie.
    Hannah has been nothing but trouble since she got here.
    Although the war ended, and as people tend to have short memories, the city’s people were still divided over its impact.
    Because she was scoring many baskets, Elesa was considered the best player on the team.
    Whenever he was lonely, Lance called his mother.

6. A phrase is a collection of words that behaves like a part of speech (ie: “my brother James”) or an adverbial phrase (ie: “with elegance and tact”). A clause is a phrase that includes a noun and verb. With these being said, clauses have the ability to be a sentence in itself, although it wont always be that way, while a phrase can only exist within a sentence.

8. A short story is a story with a fully developed theme but significantly shorter and less elaborate than a novel.

9. I cannot record any short stories I read in High School.

Emelyn
    Participant

1)Fanboy words are: for, and, nor, but, yet, so

2) than, rather than, whether, whoever, whereas, that, whatever, which, whichever, after, as soon as, since , before, until, now that, once, since

3)A context where people are not consider “equal” is where you’re grew up or the Neighborhood you come from.

4)I passed my math exam, because I studied very hard. We are not going to the movies if it rains . I want to call but, I don’t have her number. I go to school on the weekdays, but I don’t go to work on the weekends. Because I was sick, I left school early.

5)The difference between phrases and clause is clause includes a subject and verbs and phrases include a subject and verbs.

6)– A clause is a constituent that comprises a semantic predicated and a semantic predicate.
    -A phrase is a group of words and together acts as a grammatical unit.

8)A short story is a piece of fictional writing that is shorter than a novel.

9)“The dead” by James Joyce‹

Daniel
    Participant

1)For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So
    2) After, Although, As, When, Whenever, Whether, Where, Wherever, While, If, In case, In order, That, Though, Even though, Because, Before
    3) A context where people are not considered “equal” is for example a social pyramid, a pharaoh is superior to soldiers and scribes even merchants than these classes(Soldiers, Scribes, Merchants) are superior to slaves and the poor.
    4)
    A)I was tired, so I went to bed
    B) Even though I love paintball, I’d choose airsoft.
    C) If it’s hot outside, i wear shorts and short sleeved shirts.
    D) My homework was incomplete, so I did it later in the day.

5) “A clause is a group of words that contains a subject and a verb. A phrase is a group of words, but it doesn’t contain a subject and a verb.”
    6) Google definitions
    Clause- “a unit of grammatical organization next below the sentence in rank and in traditional grammar said to consist of a subject and predicate.”
    Phrase- “a small group of words standing together as a conceptual unit, typically forming a component of a clause”
    7) A very short narrative and has very few words probably 200 words at most.
    8) “A piece of fiction shorter than 1,000 words is considered a “short short story” or “flash fiction,””
    9) “The lottery” – Shirley Jackson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.