ENG 1101 English Composition I, section OL 0110

• 8/30/22 classwork for today
  • #80166

Prof. Masiello

All of this page should be done be fore our next class meeting, Sept. 1. It is classwork, not homework.
    We will start with some punctuation marks that confuse many students.

Here is a link to three of them:

https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/semi-colons-colons-and-dashes/

A) Please open it, read it, and write down any questions that come to mind.

B) What is the difference between dashes (–) and hyphens (-)? Explain with an example that you find or create.
    Be aware that you can often Google information you need. Some students wrote they are uncertain about other marks.

C) Google the ones you need and copy, paste, and save what you learn. This is for you, not to post in Discussion. Start keeping a folder of links you can use or print them out and put them into a folder or binder.

Remember that a sentence of any type must be complete. If it is incomplete, it is called a “sentence fragment,” which is incorrect in writing.

D) Sometimes a single word can be a complete sentence. Write down one-word sentences.

They all will have something in common, they are verbs.

E) When you write down a request like Stop. Go. Run. why do we not add “You” in front of the verb? If you are fluent in another language, does the same rule apply? Is the equivalent word for “you” in the other language used or not in a command or request? Why do you think that is?

F) What is the difference between a simple sentence and a compound sentence?

G) Please create five original compound sentences. Look for examples.
    Make sure to post your original sentences here in Discussion.

#80171

Elin Louz

B) The difference between dashes and hyphens is that ,Hyphens are shorter lines that are shorter lines that are used to show connection between words. Some examples are : ” We are looking for a kid-friendly movie.” We then have dashes that are used as an emphasis; some examples are: “The idea of being a lawyer- helping people get justice ,a sense of feeling heard- has always appealed to me.

YOU DID NOT TYPE IN A DASH. It requires two hyphens –.

D) Some examples of sentence fragments are: ” Watching tv with my family.” “Decided to go eat pizza instead.” “Every person in this house.”

E) I was having trouble understanding this question.Why do we say “Pass the salt” or “Please pass the salt” and not add “You”? See other replies for the possible answer.

F) The difference between simple and compound sentence is that simple sentences contains one clause where compound sentence contains more than one.
    G) some examples of compound sentences are:
    1: I like swimming , and Joe likes tanning.
    2: Our power went out ; we were scared.
    3: Sarah went to sleep, but John went to work , and I went to the beach.
    4: I really need to go to school, but I am too tired to leave bed.
    5: Should we start eating now, or wait for everyone to get here?

THOSE ARE EXCELLENT COMPOUND SENTENCES, Elin.

#80172

Tiffany O

A.) To join sentences we use colons and not commas?

No, Tiffany, we can use a semicolon but not a colon.

B.) The difference between dashes and hyphens is dashes are used when a piece of writing is broken up. Hyphens are used to bring together combined meanings. They are also used EX: “Yeah! It doesn’t really hurt that ba-“
    I do not understand that example!

“I should go. I have a six-page essay to start.” YES.

D.) 1.) “Nice.”
    2.) “No.”
    3.) “Help!”
    4.) Mikey…” Only 3 is a verb, so only 3 is a sentence.

E.) When we say words like “Stop.” we don’t put “You” in front of it because I think the one word is enough to convey what is trying to be said. I also think it counts as an incomplete sentence as “You stop” doesn’t sound right. In other languages the rule doesn’t apply because each languages has their own structure of how they put their sentences together.

Adding “you” can sound rude.

F.) The difference between compound and a simple is; THAT punctuation is incorrect and unnecessary compound sentences has more than one independent clause. A simple sentence only has one.

G.) 1.) “Sometimes I like math. Sometimes I don’t.”
    2.) “I started to feel dizzy. So I sat down.”
    3.) “This math work is stressing me out. I’m going to take a break.
    4.) “She bumped into me, she knows she did and didn’t apologize.”

1 through 4 are not compound; 1 to 3 are separate sentences.

4 is a comma-splice (like a run-on) WRONG.

5.) “I saw a really nice pair of shoes, but I didn’t buy them.” Yes.

Lots of improvement needed.

#80176

Aaliyah

B) The difference between a hyphen and dash is that a hyphen is used to connect a name. The name “Ken-Nisha” is an example.
    Aaliyah, this is correct.

A dash is used differently and is used to show that there are other parts of the word. NO. You are still describing what a hyphen does.
    Say if you were writing a sentence and you run out of space in the middle of the word, you would use a dash to connect the word and show more is being written. Also without any knowledge behind the symbols you can see one is a longer symbol while the other one is shorter.

You did NOT provide a corrct use of a dash. Dis you Google it?

D) Examples of one word sentences
    “No.”
    “Come!”
    “Hurray!” Only Come! is correct. The others are not verbs, so they are not sentences. “Come” tells somone to do something (a verb).

E) When you write down a request like Stop. Go. Run. you don’t add “You” in front of the verb because. Saying “You stop” is kind of confusing without context. If you spoke to someone and said “you stop” a response would be “stop what?”, there has to be context. Now saying “Stop!” alone is a good example of a one word sentence as well.

Not right. The reason we leave out “you” is that “you” sounds rude. It has no affect on context.

F) The difference between the two from my knowledge is that a compound sentence has more details to it and a simple sentence is a “simple sentence”. For example a compound sentence could be “He gambled all his money away at the casino, therefore he left the casino broke. An example of a simple sentence is “Abby is loud.” Okay.

G) Compound sentences
    1). She didn’t study on Monday or Tuesday and ended up failing her test that was on Wednesday. No, you do not have two independent full thoughts.
    2). Tickets for the Avengers movie was sold out, so we watched a different movie on the Netflix. Yes
    3.) I really love dragonfruit; however, I’ve only had it once. Yes
    4). The laptop I want is so pricey; I’ll have to save up for it. Yes
    5). She doesn’t like strawberry cake, unfortunately that’s what they brought her on her birthday. No, Iin 5 you have no joining word so thhis is called a “comma-splice” error.

#80198

Hao Yu M

B) The hyphens is use to make connections between two words, for exmaple: “I want to buy a bottle of ecooking-oil”.
    Incorrect punctuation and grammar.

The dashes is describe words and use to stop someone whlie conversation in writen dialogue, for example: “The man—he was from Ames, Iowa—arrived.” Poor grammar in the explanation, but your example is correct.

D) “Run!”, “Again!”, “Go!”, these are some examples of one word sentences. Again is not a verb, so it is not a sentence.

E) Sometimes we dont add a specific target into the request is because of that one word are already enough to show what we want others to do. Very faulty grammar

F) A simple sentence only have one indenpendent clause, and a compound sentence could have two or more independent clauses. Correct

G)
    1) She love reading, and listening music at her free times. Incorrect and ungrammatical
    2) Max wants to go for a walk, but his assignment is due in one hour. Correct
    3) The train down at the last stop; we came late for 30 minutes. Ungrammatical
    4) Lina fogot to bring her key, so she can’t get in to her house. into otherwise Correct
    5) I never sees the liberty statue, nor did he. Ungrammatical

Hau, I have sent you an email about this.

#80236

Shane Osbourne

A) so a semicolon is used to separate words that have descriptions attached to them? for example “Jonny is a nice, tall boy; sally is a cute, adorable girl.” would this be the right way to use a semicolon? colon is used to list things and connect two sentences into one? can’t you use either a semicolon or a colon to separate a sentence if it doesn’t contain listing items?

Shane, as explained this is not totally clear. You are somewhat correct about the semicolons, but imply they are only useful if therer are other commas involved. That is not a necessity for semicolns to be chosen.

Colons are used for lists, but semicolons are used rather differentlly. Please Google the differences.

B) A hyphen is used to connect two words that go together in a sentence or phrase. <– Yes A dash is it emphasizes an upcoming word or describes a word with its appropriate definition. <– Not sure as explaind.
    Ex: self-respect, mother-in-law, self-written.
    Ex: time to return to the worst place on earth–Home. GOOD EXAMPLES.

C) thanks for the tip

D) “Hi”, “No” “Good” “Run” “Bye” “Later” Only Run is a verb, so only Run is a sentence.

E) I think you add the word “you” in form of one-word sentences so the person you are talking to knows that you are referring to them when you say these verbs meaning it’s an action that you are telling someone to do. So why leave it out? There is a good reason: politeness.

F) A simple sentence only talks about or describes one thing within that sentence. a compact (What’s that?)sentence contains more than one thing or description within that sentence.

G)
    Timmy wants to ride his bike, but can’t because it’s raining You must add “he” to be a compound sentence
    I can’t decide if I want a cookie or a slice of cake: I’ll just have both instead. No You need a semicolon!
    man, I am so hungry, what should I have to eat?
    Dom goes an A on his test from all the studying he did last week. No and goes is the wrong word!
    nothing can be better than this, or can it?

Shane, you are on the right track, but much of your above writing needs more pecise word choices.

#80237

Ariel Benmoshe

B) A hyphen is used to join words or parts of words, creating compound words. A dash is often used to indicate a pause. Hyphens can be used when writing down numbers such as fifty-one or one-third. A dash would be used as such, “they might make it – you never know.”

Well explained but your second example did not illustrate a dash. A dash looks like this: –.

D) Some examples of one words sentences include: “Come!”, “Leave.”, “Who?” Who is not a verb, so it is not a sentence.

E) I believe adding the word “you” before a verb may be unnecessary and can lead to confusion. Usually the person that you are giving the request to knows you are speaking to them so it would be unnecessary to say “you” as if you are trying to get their attention beforehand. As a fluent Russian speaker, in a formal and “correct” way of speaking, the word “you” is almost always said before the verb. In English we omit it because the word you can sound rude. “You, pass the salt” sounds rough.

Are you saying, Ariel, that in Russian the equivalent word for “you” would still be used in polite conversation, like asking for something rather than demanding it?

F) A simple sentence has only one independent clause (a statement containing a subject, verb, and predicate), while a compound sentence has more than one independent clause.

G) 1. I really want a new car, I’m going to save up for it.
    2. Dad went to work, but mom went to the mall, and I went to school.
    3. We were supposed to go on vacation, but our flight got cancelled.
    4. I really need new clothes, hopefully my parents buy some for me.
    5. I have been trying to sell an old bike, but I haven’t gotten any offers for it.

Numbers 1 and 4 are incorrect because they require conjunctions after the commas–or you may use semicolons without adding conjunctions.

Numbers 2, 3, and 5 are correct.

#80239

Viviana

B) The difference between dashes and hyphens is that dashes are used to demonstrate to the reader what to pay attention to when viewing the material. It can be used to show specific instructions or to bring a slight pause in a conversation. “I was accused of — stealing”. Hyphens is a way to illustrate a connection with words that can fit together. “full-time” or “well-known”.

Good!

D) Examples of one word sentences
    “incomplete”
    “no”
    “stay”
    “now” Only “Stay” is a verb so that is the one sentence among these.
    E) When we use words like stop, go or run we don’t necessarily have to put the word “you” in front of it due to the fact that it is already straight forward on what it says. For example when you give directions, you don’t have to say “you go straight then make a left”. You can simply say straight, up or down. It’s very clear what is trying to be said. In other languages this rule is not used as well, from experience since English is not my first language others have numerous amount of ways to complete their own sentences.

Well, Viviana, how is the equivalent word for you used in your native language?

F) A simple sentence is very straight forward to what it means. It is not as detailed or descriptive. A compound sentence has two or more things to be descriptive.

G) I really want my bachelors degree, hard work will eventually pay off.
    Jasmine is getting her makeup done, now she has to pay 200$ for the services.
    After school I want to go to the pizzeria, but then I will be late to work.
    The train was running late, so I arrived late to my Alyssa’s party
    I overslept by 2 hours therefore, I won’t make it on time for my interview.

The bolded ones are incorrect because the thought need to be joined with a comma + a conjunction or with just a semicolon. The incorrect ones are run ons or comma-splices.

Question: I understand that dashes are used to break up dialogue, but why can’t we just use (…)

Great question! The ellipsis (…) represents a slower pause while the dash (–) represents an abrupt interruption. Thus, they are very different.

#80245

Tahreem Imran

B: The difference between dashes (–) and hyphens (-) is that a dash separates words into parenthetical statements while a hyphen combines two or more words together.
    An example of dashes is “i blame you — only you”.
    An example of hyphen is “My three-hour class is finally over”. Yes, Tahreem, but you MUST always capitalize the word/pronound I
    D: A single word can be a complete sentence
    1.“Yes”
    2.”No”
    3.”Come”
    4.”Quick”
    5.”Soon”
    6.”Eat”
    7.”Bye”
    8.”Good” Only 3 and 6 are verbs so only those two are sentences.
    E: We don’t add “You” in front of the verb because it’s confusing without having a context. Yes the same rule applies in my language too. The equivalent word for “you” in my language is not used in a command or request. I think this is because they’re mostly single word sentences and you can convey your point through that one word.

Well, it is not only applicable to one-word sentences. Anytime you tell someone or ask someone to do something we can and should leave out “you” because it can sound rude.

You, pass me the salt. Sound like a rough command, an order, rather than a mere request: Pass the salt. or Please pass the salt. It isn’t about confusion; it is about tone.
    F: The difference between a simple sentence and a compound sentence is that a simple sentence contains one independent clause while a compound sentence contains more than one.
    G: Five original compound sentences:
    1. I like pizza, and my sister likes pasta.
    2. I wanted to go home, but my sister stopped me.
    3. I was feeling sick, so I went to the doctor.
    4. I was sleepy, but managed to do my homework. Incorrect use of comma. Without a second subject, a repetition ofthe word I, thsi is a simple sentence with two verbs and an unnecessary comma–not a compound sentence.
    5. She wants a new laptop, but it’s expensive.

All the others are correct compound sentences.

#80382

Matthew Ozaeta

B) Hyphens are used to combine two different words into one unit (well-groomed) and are sometimes used in names (
    Catherine Zeta-Jones.) Dashes are used to separate information from the rest of a sentence (That boy—despite his tender age—was quite adept with a harmonica.)

D) Here are some examples of one-word sentences. “Halt.” “Cease.” “Desist.” “Go.” “Listen.”

E) When we write or say one-word commands to someone, we don’t put “you” in front of the command because we expect that the person we are commanding should know who we are talking to and what exactly we want them to do. If one were to pass by someone painting the inside of a building and the painter suddenly yelled “Stop!”, the person walking by them would probably come to the conclusion that the painter might be referring to them and hopefully stop before they walked right onto a freshly-painted floor.

F) A simple sentence is made up of one independent clause that conveys a complete thought (I love bananas) while a compound sentence is made by combining two independent clauses together (see “G” for examples.)

G) I finished my discussion post and I ate dinner.
    I never liked apples; they’re always bland.
    I should go to sleep, but my eyes won’t stay closed.
    I’m spending so much time writing this; I hope I haven’t made a mistake.
    I want to get a new computer, but I don’t want to procure the required capital.

Excellent work, Matthew.

#80397

Manahill Arshad

B) The difference between hyphen and dash is that hyphen is a punctuation mark that’s used to join words or parts of words. On the other hand, Dash is used to use to indicate a range or a pause.
    Dash-The Great Gatsby — The story of Nick Carraway’s interactions with a millionaire named Jay Gatsby and Gatsby’s desire to reunite with his one true love.
    Hyphen example is This rock-hard cake is absolutely impossible to eat.

D) Shanice likes cooking. There was food at home.
    E) You need to inform the person to who are you talking about. In my language you need to tell who you are willing to talk to and how you will inform them.
    F) A simple sentence is a group of words that consists of only one independent sentence. A compound sentence is a group of words that consists of at least two independent sentences.

#80398

Ali Ammar

B) Dashes indicate that more emphasis is put on the phrase, can indicate introductions or conclusions to sentences, and can indicate a break in dialogue.
    Hyphens, on the other hand, are used to connect words, for example, the sentence “That guy wasn’t good-hearted at all.” is an example of what hyphens are and how they are used.
    An example for dashes would be “Y—You can’t just do something like that.” This indicates a break in dialogue which is a way dashes can be used.
    D) “Go!” “Stop!” “Run!” “Come.” are all examples of one-word sentences.
    E) The one word is enough to show the person what is being said without the emphasis of the “You”. If “You” were to be used before these verbs, it would make the sentence more
    confusing as just one word is enough information to understand what is being demanded in these sentences.
    F) A simple sentence only contains one main point while a compound sentence contains more than one.
    G)
    1) The train was delayed; we showed up late.
    2) I like french fries, but my friend likes onion rings.
    3) I take the bus to class, but most people take the subway.
    4) Most people prefer driving, however, I prefer public transportation.
    5) I went to the gym after class, and my friend went to a party.

#80402

Zacarah King

B) The difference between Dashes and hyphens; they both are horizontal line, but dashes are longer than hyphens. Dashes are used show absence of letters or words with a sentence. Ex. “I just do not understand why she wou—“ or “Dr Martin Luther King jr— a honored and remembered civil rights activist”. Hyphens are used join two words together to form a compound conjunction and show connection between the two words. Ex. Sign-up, follow-up, re-enact, mother-in-law, and Pro-Black.

D) Some one word sentences; “Here.”, “There.”, “Hurry.” , “Wait.”, “help!”. In addition to the 5 Ws; “What?” “When?” “Where?” “Who?” and “Why?”.

E) When we write down a request, we do not add the pronoun “you” because of it’s need for full context when in a sentence. The verb expresses what the action is, and it can declarative on its own. To add a second person pronoun just makes the sentence incomplete and obscured.

F) The difference between a simple and a compound sentence. Within a simple sentence it only have one independent clause, verb, or subject. while within a compound sentence it may have more than one clause, verb, and or subject.

G)
    1. Jasmary wanted to become a chef and owned her own restaurant, but She also always had interest in creative writing and screenplays.
    2. Darchell painted a big, beautiful, and heavenly mural; splotches of Orange, purple, blue, yellow, gold, grey and white.
    3. A few days ago I want to go see 3000 years of longing, it was a great movie and I may consider a career in mythology.
    4. On Mondays and Wednesdays I have algebra at 8 AM, I wake up at 6 AM because I know that I can be sluggish when getting ready.
    5. I missed my friend’s birthday party, the next time I saw her I showered her with an assortment of gifts.
    6. She howled in pain, she twisted her ankle while walking on uneven concrete.

I am sorry for my tardiness, my response never uploaded last night.

#80693

Jakobi Phillips

B) A hyphen joins two or more words together while a dash separates words into parenthetical statements. Hyphens are not separated by spaces, while a dash has a space on either side.

An example of using a hyphen can be in the phrase “single-minded”. An example of a dash could be in the sentence “he man—he was from Ames, Iowa—arrived.”

D) Go! Stop!

E) I don’ think it’s a rule to not say ‘you” before a one word sentence; I just think the context it’s used in deems in unnecessary.

F) Simple sentences contain one clause while compound sentences contain more than one.

G) Some examples of compound sentences are:

1. I like tea, and my mom likes coffee.
    2. I like video games, and my my mother likes soca.
    3. I like skating, and my mother likes hanging out with friends.
    4. I like filming, and my mother likes clothes.
    5. I like to play music, and my mother likes to make money.

#81393

Isaiha Ryan Rivera

B) The differences between hyphens and dashes, are that the hyphens have shorter lines.
    Hyphens are often used to show connections between words to conjoin them as a unit.
    Dashes indicate toward the reader that there is emphasis between the lines of text.

D) One Word Sentences ~ Hi, Hurry, Farewell, Groovy, Help, Begin, Yes

E) Being a request, adding the word ” You ” before or after is not often used.
    As the request is already direct, if you’re writing it or speaking it toward a person.

F) Simple Sentence v. Compound Sentences
    ~ Simple Sentences usually expresses independent thoughts and clauses.
    Complex Sentences join two ideas together, most likely one independent clauses with one or more dependent clauses that can’t stand only grammatically.

G)
    ~ The Bakery as successful as it was in the past, may have to shut down.
    ~ They did this to me, leaving me to strive on my own after serving this country.
    ~ Upon closer inspection he robbed the bank, for his family not his own personal gain.
    ~ After what you did, I can’t look the other way.
    ~ You’ve been good to me and my associates, I’ll make sure they know you’re coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)