ENG 1101 English Composition I, section OL 0110

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 12-7-22 4th of 6 readings (for discussion and for the next essay)

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Questions for discussion: reading 4 theme: Men and Women

Press Ctrl + click or cut and paste into your browser to open any hyperlinks for the stories.

4) A short story by William Faulkner called “A Rose for Emily”:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~drbr/wf_rose.html

a) Notice the descriptions of Emily at the beginning, when she is elderly.

Can you find a metaphor or a simile there? (You need to know the difference between those two
    “figures of speech” meant to be taken figuratively, not literally.) When you say someone
    is a pig, you do not mean it literally. The same is when you say to someone you eat like a
    bird. It is not meant literally.

The description of her hair color is literal, real, and it
    also becomes a significant detail at the very end.

b) Think of metaphors and similes you use in your own conversation. List a few.
    It is a good thing for writers to use metaphors and similes!

c) Who is narrating this story (that is not the same as saying who wrote it)?

d) Notice that the narrator says in the first sentence, “When Miss Emily Grierson died, our
    whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen
    monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house [
].

Is this a criticism of women’s values or priorities? Is the portrayal of Emily a criticism?

e) When she bought arsenic, what did the townspeople think?

f) Homer was the one man that Emily seemed to care about.

Why did people think poorly
    of him? (It may have to do with geography
)

g) At the end, what do people find in the locked room? What exactly happened?

h) Did you notice the line: “When she had first begun to be seen with Homer Barron, we
    had said, ‘She will marry him.’ Then we said, “She will persuade him yet,’ because
    Homer himself had remarked–he liked men, and it was known that he drank with the
    younger men in the Elks’ Club–that he was not a marrying man”?

Did it mean anything to you at first?

Does it mean anything in retrospect?

i) Considering all that the author writes about Emily, do you think he, William Faulkner, is
    showing bias against women?

Manahill Arshad
    Participant

A. The metaphor that is used in the article is, “Her eyes, lost in the fatty ridges of her face.” Another metaphor and smile we can see are, “With a thin gold chain descending to her waist and vanishing into her belt.”

The chain one does not use comparison, so it doesn’t qualify.

B. His blue eyes looked like the deep ocean. She has a heart of gold. This baby is like the sunset.
    good
    C. The narrating that I see is from women that can see how women are judged by the decisions they make around their people even though they are just minding their own business. Yes, women of the town, plural.
    D. This shows that women prorate just to show how men are nice and kind-hearted people to just show the world that they are never wrong. The neighbor shows Emily as bad because of how she was and how she would just stay in her own business and live the way she wants to.
    E. People think of her as not a nice woman and a woman that has the attitude of the wealthiness she has and that she can cause harm to the other girls in the town.

In what way can she harm other girls if she keeps to herself?

F. They think of that man as he is behind the money and that he is just doing this under the pressure of the property of Emily.

Yes, they saw him as a “golddigger,” but mostly it was becasue he was a Northerner, not from the South. There were strong dislikes in the country back then.

G. They find the room as decorated as a bride’s room and see that there were man’s clothes in line and that something might have taken place in that room.
    H. The people in the town are just judging the women. This can be retrospect because the man and women are just keeping an eye on Emily’s business.
    I. This article shows how women are put down if they hang out with a man and how bad the world just starts to show them because of them being a woman.

Your answers seem to omit any reference that Emily killed Homer, possible because he was not going to marry her (there is some hint he was gay) and–even worse–she was sleeping with his corpse!

Viviana
    Participant

A) One of the metaphors that were is used was spotted at the beginning of the story when they described Emily as a “fallen monument.” And for a simile, they used the the description of “like two small pieces of coal” to describe her eyes

B) Hands are soft as a baby’s butt. He runs fast like a cheetah. I don’t kiss and tell. Remember, Viviana: you need a comparison.

C) Maybe a woman or someone is from the town where Emily lives. It seems to be a group rather than an individual.

D) I would say this leans more toward criticism of women’s values and priorities because the Men came to pay their respects for the passing of Emily and though people may have opinions and judgment, for the woman that overrides what was important.

E) it was very clear that the people were completely surprised that the arsenic was brought to the house. They didn’t want to believe that Emily can do such wrong to someone. They called her cousins to watch her but after they left they became more concerned.

F) Emily cared about Homer considering that is the only guy she ever loved. People think poorly of him because he was in a lower class compared to Emily and he is a Northerner and laborer. Back then Men were judged off based on [please reword] where you’re from and what job they had.

Is Faulkner saying that Homer was gay? If so, does it matter?

G) When people go inside the locked room they find a body that had men’s clothing.

H) This can be retrospect by looking at the past and this quote involves a lot with their judgment and opinions

I) it’s clear how the author is biased against women because it shows how women are perceived and downgraded because of whom they hang out with. I don’t believe the phrase “you are who you hang with.” Though there were opinions that were made against homer, immediately it made her look bad and the town felt the need to watch after Emily. Also, the main character is a crazy killer who sleeps with a corpse.

Tiffany O
    Participant

A.) A metaphor I saw in the beginning was, “Alive, Miss Emily had been a tradition, a duty, and a care…” A simile I saw was Emily’s eyes being described as “two small pieces of coal.”

Not sure about those metaphors since comparisons need to be expressed. Simile is good.

B.) Metaphors I use in conversations: “It’s raining cats and dogs outside!” “I feel like a cow”
    Smiles I use in conversations: “I’m a walking library” “Time is money” “My bed is like a cloud”

Metaphors omit “like” or “as.”

C.) I think the story is narrated by someone in the town who observed and watched everything that happened with Emily.
    Yes, but more than one person who all agree with one another.

D.) I think it is a criticism of women’s priorities because they weren’t really there to pay their respects. They wanted to be curious and just see the inside of the house. They weren’t there to mourn. The portrayal of Emily is a criticism because we listening to what an outsider thinks of her. We are getting Emily’s character through someone else’s eyes.

E.) When she bought arsenic the townspeople thought she was going to kill herself.

F.) People may have thought poorly of Homer because of where he was from. He was from the north. They also thought poorly of him because of his occupation.

G.) At the end people find Homer’s body in a room. What happened was Emily poisoned Homer and kept him in the room, in fear that he would someday leave her.

H.) Those lines didn’t mean much to me because some people can say things like that as a joke. Or people simply exaggerate other things people say. Not sure of it meant anything in retrospect but it could have contributed to his death/murder.

Interesting.

I.) I think the author could be biased about women as he is writing them in a way that portray them as crazy, curious, or demanding.

Good!

Tahreem Imran
    Participant

A. Metaphor: “fallen monument”.
    Simile: This baby is like the sunset.
    B. My heart sank on hearing the terrible news.
    Life is a maze.
    My mind is an ocean.
    C. I think the narrator is women telling how he sees women being judged from her point of view.
    D. Yes, because they haven’t seen it ten years and now they can see and judge I guess so it’s not equal.
    E. People were shocked when you bought the arsenic thinking she would do something.
    F. They thought he was gold digger because he wanted the money.
    G.They find a man’s body in the locked room. They waited for Emily to be buried before they even open the door.
    H. I thought he was gay and didn’t want to marry her anyways.
    I. Yes, he’s being braised the way he’s putting it together.

Ali Ammar
    Participant

A) Metaphor: Alive, Miss Emily had been a tradition, a duty, and a care
    Simile: She looked bloated, like a body long submerged in motionless water, and of that pallid hue.
    B) Having a heart of gold. Crazy like a sack of cats. The comparison aspects of similies and metaphors make it a clever way for a writer to make a point.
    C) The narrator of this story seems to be the people of the town who knew what happened to Emily.
    D) I don’t believe this is a criticism of women’s values in general, but definitely in this town. This is a criticism of Emily however, as they portray her as someone who lives by her own rules.
    E) When she got the Arsenic, the town was sure she would commit suicide, and that it would be a positive thing for them.
    F) People called Homer Baron a ‘Yankee” which implies he is from the North, which is the primary reason they didn’t like him.
    G) There was a body in the room that is assumed to be Homer Barron, suggesting that Emily killed him.
    H) The line went over my head in the beginning, and even after knowing the fate of Homer, it’s still hard to tell what this exactly means.
    I) Considering Emily has a dead body in one of her rooms, which is believed to be Homer, I don’t see it as bias against women, rather he seems to be against Emily herself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.