Culinary Tourism Spring 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Industry City

Fabiola
    Participant

I visited Industry City in Sunset Park, Brooklyn Saturday, March 7 with a friend, since I could not make the trip with the class. I started off on 36th street and 3rd avenue, not knowing how Industry City was set up I thought it was one big old factory building not buildings with different shops and eateries. So I started in the first building I came in front of, as I enter I go check the map of the whole hub. Once I seen the little yard set – up it automatically drawed me outside. It was almost whimsical, even on a cold, windy day. I walk further to see they have a small ice skating rink and the different entrances and exits to connecting buildings. Very smart, recycled layout. My friend and I decided to start out in building one of course so we wont miss anything interesting. In the email Li-lac’s Chocolate Factory was mentioned so I wanted to make sure I stop by there. Should I start off by saying the smell of that shop alone, was amazing. The selection of the chocolates available, were wide. The selection included milk, dark, chocolate mixed fruit, nuts, caramel, and dried fruit dipped in chocolate. Li-Lac’s Chocolate Factory has been open since 1920’s and they make each and every chocolate item in the store by hand. If you happen to pass early enough to see it in action through the window you will see the employees using copper kettles to melt the chocolate and spreading the melted chocolate on a marble-top table to create delectable treats. I enjoyed my sample of fresh fudge but that’s all I needed, there was too much chocolate in there, from chocolate bunnies, chocolate heels, and chocolate purses. So continuing through the hub, towards the food hall there is a room that provides cooking classes that can be taken and they do fill up fast. The different selection of restaurants to eat in the food hall were different, not your normal McDonald’s, KFC, Shake Shake, Five Guys, etc. Avocaderia, Bangkok B.A.R, Ends Meat, and two of my favorites that I was happy to see was Hometown Bar-B-Que and Sahadi’s. I have shopped and dine in both and I am always happy to see a small business expand, especially a company with good, fresh, real food. The beer garden is a place I will definitely go back to in the spring and summer. The last stop was the Maker’s Guild with the different shops including the BK Candle Studio ( which is closed on Saturday’s ), Bee Raw, Micol Ceramics, and my favorites The Wrap Life, and Mizutama. I met the owner at Mizutama ( Sorry I forgot her name ), but she was soft spoken, calm, informative, . She knew her magnetic attraction from the stones that she had laid out in bowls. For each stone that was brought she gave a card with the description for it. She also gave my friend and I free sage to burn in the house to get rid of bad sprits and clean our space. I enjoyed the walk around and I think it was about five hours that my friend and I took to see everything, between eating lunch at Burger Joint, talking since we haven’t seen each other in years, then having brownies from Colson Patisserie and will be back to try Hometown Bar – B – Que at the Industry City location. I truly enjoyed myself exploring Industry City “The Campus” another name given to this amazing and stunning Sunset Park Hub.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.