COMD3633, Advanced Strategies in Illustration, SP20

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Nuts & Bolts

Our first reading of the semester is from:

Nuts & Bolts: A blueprint for a successful illustration career by Charles Hively

You will find Chapter 1in FILES, located to the upper right of the screen.

Please Read the First Chapter and discuss:
    What are your take-aways from the chapter. Were there any statements or pieces of information that stuck out or were surprising to you? How does this measure up with the mental picture you have of your chosen career?

We will continue the discussion in class on Thursday 2/6.

PLease PURCHASE this book ASAP as we will use it several times as a reference for the course.

Jason Villalva
    Participant

The take away I had from the reading was more of little bits of sentences that will have a huge impact on the persons career for a long time. It’s something that future illustrators would want to hear before heading into the work field.
    There was one statement that I found personally connected to which was “ Here’s what we believe: Too much of today’s photography looks the same” which I found that true and funny at the same time. Every person who identify themselves at photographers take pretty much the same photo of pretty popular locations. If you live in NYC then chances are, you’ve pretty much seen all of the photos taken from everyone. On social media or museums. But then again, you’re the one taking that picture so it’s your job to do a different version of the picture you’re taking to be less like everyone else’s.
    Before choosing what I wanted to learn and do as a career, I had a pretty good understanding that this is a very competitive career to do, and the jobs would have to be a bit of a stretch. I’m just glad now I get to hear from professionals and give out advice to upcoming designers about how to put yourself out there and jumpstart your career.

Jason- Great observations here.

“ Here’s what we believe: Too much of today’s photography looks the same” which I found that true and funny at the same time.”

Interesting how you picked this specific phrase out. Id there a take away here on how to make yourself stand out from the crowd?

The takeaway I had from Chapter 1 is that the sentences are used to motivate both current and future illustrators. The one sentence that caught my attention are “Illustration look as different as the illustrators themselves”. Every illustrator has their style that is very different from others, and I believe that sentence is important for illustrators to remember. Another sentence that’s just as important is “Illustrators are as original as original gets.” Illustrators, especially those who are starting out, would sometimes feel like their work is unoriginal, but that’s not true. Just like the first sentence suggests, every illustrator is different. So an illustrator’s work may be different from another.

jason
    Participant

The one that caught my attention, and made me think about my life career choices was the statement, “Illustrators are as original as original gets”. This makes me just believe that each drawing/illustrations that I do are just originals of my own imagination. Yeah I may have a reference of what I try to draw but I end up doing my own drawing/illustration on my own.

Henry Zeng
    Participant

I think the most surprising thing about the chapter was finding out that illustrators are responsible for their livelihood, more so than the average person. Illustrators have to be responsible for running their own business, finding work, etc. Learning that it isn’t just about being able to draw well but also knowing how to market yourself and getting your work out there is the other half of the battle. I think hearing first-hand accounts from experienced professionals should give a better understanding of what we should expect when we get out there.

Yuhang Wang
    Participant

This chapter surprising me about one’s responsibility either to themselves or their family. When I was reading first half, I was thinking about creativity, how special we are as an illustrator, I feel like this kind of job is cool, is unique, and we are loving it. But when I finish up whole thing, I know we are responsible much more than others professions. Bills, insurance, job opportunity, we are on our own. I see no hope in my future, but I am the one who decides my career. Even through it looks like hell and I will not regard for my decision. I say we are experiencing happier life because we are enjoying what we are doing.

Jennifer Chung
    Participant

The takeaway I had from the reading is that each sentence is a motivational quote and a reminder. It is a business and you are in charge of everything you do. “You can call your own shots, set your own timetables, create your own goals.” This reading is targetted towards illustrators but I’m not focusing on that career so because of that I see this reading more as for freelancers. For example, I want to focus my career on motion designer and animation. If there is ever a time I want to work on my own and be my own boss, this reading would remind me that I work for myself and that it is a business, not a hobby.

melissamarion
    Participant

What are your take-aways from the chapter. Were there any statements or pieces of information that stuck out or were surprising to you? How does this measure up with the mental picture you have of your chosen career?

“Photography cannot replicate the ideas illustrators dream up” I agree that they both use two different artistic practice in different ways, but use similar art and design principles (balance, emphasis, contrast, etc.) I disagree because some illustrator idea come from photography. For example Shepard Fairey’s Obama HOPE image was created because of the AP’s (Associated Press) photo of Obama.

Personally, I don’t know. It depends on what route I take in life. I could end up having to work solo on a project or with a team. There are many different pros and cons between both options. It just depends on how I want to approach my idea. Either option that I choice, I know it won’t be easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.