Analysis of the Experience of Visual Perception in Graphic Design Principles I

Mercedes Waldron
Graphic Design Principles I

Before I started the class in September, I had my own expectations of the class. Originally, as many others would think graphic design would have to do with designing on the computer. I assumed that the class would be more of an artistic expression class where we would get to let our creative graphic ideas flow. I interpreted the term “Graphic Design,” as the students would do more sketching and drawing. I knew the focus of shapes and colors would be involved. Based on the supplies I read from the syllabus in class I figured we’d be using our hands to create amazing projects.
However after the first session of class I realized it was a little different than I expected. In the first session we went over the vocabulary, shapes and colors were definitely incorporated into the course. In the class the other students and I viewed ads in magazines. We viewed the magazines to interpret how some designers, design and their styles. We viewed their color schemes and the shapes they used and/or formed. Then, after the professor told us our first project was to draw a square in the center or upper left corner of a “14 X 17′ page. I thought to myself, “Is that really it, that’s all?” I couldn’t believe it.
Then in more sessions, I realized what I was actually being taught, shapes on a medium sized paper was not all there was to it. In actuality, as students we were learning the human’s visual perception and how we view things on a page. The placement of a shape or object is more important and complex than you think. The negative space, also known as the paper, must not control the shape. One off measurement can make everything feel unbalanced. I’ve learned to measure more precisely and visually see and physically feel an error that I have made.
I looked forward to the color theory section. At first we learned the scale in which one color and various tones had to transition naturally. As we progressed into the section I learned that tone is extremely important. Two or more colors must have the same tone in order to harmonize with each other in the design. Tones can affect an image and make objects stand out more than another. All of the above was what the design theory is. Now that I have this newfound knowledge I have become a better designer. I see imperfections more clearly and immediately know how to fix them.