American Government, Alexander Sections

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Trump and the Media

Have the major news media outlets played a part in Donald Trump’s success in the primaries? If so, how and why? Consider these remarks from Trump’s nemesis at FOX, Megyn Kelly.

Special K
    Participant

For anyone interested: there’s a “Shut Down Trump” rally on Thurs. April 14th, at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. That’s located at 42nd and Lexington at 5:30 p.m. It may conflict with American Gov. class schedule. Hey, do you think we can get credit for attending the rally? Just asking.

Thank you for that bulletin. It’s certainly worth being aware of. But our Thursday night class will meet as scheduled, ideally with you in it. Even so, I’m all in favor of our seeing what we can see online about it that evening.

(And, thank you for asking. Every question is worth asking, no matter what the answer ends up being.)

Special K
    Participant

Trump claims that he raised $6 million dollars for veterans but only disbursed $3 million to veterans groups. After an investigation by the media as to the what happened to the balance of the money raised, Trump started cutting checks and distributing the money out to veterans. Then he held a press conference to vilify the media about his dubious dealings. Ah, excuse me but.. is anyone surprised by this? He’s still facing litigation regarding his role in the Trump University scandal. How in the world could anyone be surprised that there would be any discrepancies in accounting where he is concerned. This is the same man that publicly BRAGGED how he stiffed Muammar Ghaddifi out of his hotel deposit years ago.
    When a reporter asked Trump if he would conduct White House press conferences in the same manner he did that day (by calling a reporter a sleaze) he said yes he would. Surprised?!! Like Denzel Washington said in the movie, The Equalizer, “You gotta be who you are in this world.” Isn’t Trump just being who he is?

I’m with you on all of this, point for point. It also needs to be noted that Trump made a statement some months back that the laws should be changed to make it easier for public figures to sue the press for libel. (Under present case law, a public figure has to show either malice or reckless disregard for the truth.) That leads to a good quote from a recent article in the New Yorker:

To say “Well, he would not really have the power to accomplish that” is to misunderstand the nature of thin-skinned authoritarians in power. They do not arrive in office and discover, as constitutionalists do, that their capabilities are more limited than they imagined. They arrive, and then make their power as large as they can. (Full article here.)

But when it comes to yelling “You’re a sleaze” at a press conference, with any luck people will stop admiring him by saying “he speaks his mind” and start thinking in terms of what it means to have a president with absolutely no dignity, manners or self-restraint. Speaking for myself, I always used to think my country had more brains than to let somebody this far removed from being fit for the presidency get this far. I used to think I understood my country. Now, I have no idea what to expect from it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.