images: taken by me from webinar and the company’s instagram

“How to master chaos” was a very fun webinar to attend. This webinar took place on 2/17/22, sponsored by “TDC virtual Salons” It started off with fun music and then, the host John Kudos made the introduction and proceeded to introduce Alexandr & Julia, they talked about their typography business and how fast is growing. Their company call “type type” is a foundry type company based in Russia. I was fascinated to learn more about fonts because I think that a good font makes a huge difference on a design. I had no idea about the hard work that goes into creating a new typeface. Alexandr explained how there is a team in his company for each part of the creative process.

For example, there is someone in charge of working on kerning only, and there is someone in charge of working on italic styles and so on. Julia explained that it is very hard to develop a new font by one person alone. They decided to hire people with no experience and train them, to help them move on as they learn. Another interesting fact they mentioned is that sometimes they spend about a month just doing sketches which I was surprised to hear. Overall, I enjoyed this webinar so much because I didn’t know that making fonts was so conplicated and all the work and time that it goes into it.