Philosophy of Nursing

Nursing is the act of taking care of all people, and doing so in a manner that conveys compassion and respect. No matter what part of the world we are in, all humans depend on and deserve the best quality care. I was once told by one of my professors, ā€œnursing is not only a career, but a lifelong profession.ā€ That is, we must apply what we learn and know from our nursing experiences in our personal lives in order to grow. Indeed, it is important for us to continue our education in regards to content review and skills, however we must also learn to apply this education in our personal lives. Bringing nursing into our personal lives will allow us to become better individuals and members of society.

I believe the most important aspect of nursing is not just the act of taking care of others, but how well you take care of others. If we strive to provide the best quality care possible on a daily basis, and experience what patients go through, this will ultimately change who we are as individuals for the better. I think that nursing is a constant effort to provide the best quality care by continuing our education and staying committed to our patients. As per my nursing programā€™s mission statement, Watsonā€™s theory of caring says that care is optimized by acknowledging the patientā€™s body, mind, and spirit. One thing that stands out for me is that our ā€˜careā€™ is the bridge for patients to have the opportunity to receive optimized holistic care. Quality nursing care relies onĀ the motivated worker who understands the mission, the importance of personal integrity, and continuous strive for excellence.