Learning Self-Analysis

Before the baccalaureate program, most of the academic coursework and skills that I practiced and learned during the associates program prepared me to pass the NCLEX-RN exam. As many know, the NCLEX-RN exam is the licensure exam required to practice as a registered nurse, thus my experience in the associate program was more task-related rather than theoretical.

The baccalaureate program helped me expand my knowledge and depth of understanding of important factors related to nursing practice.

At the very start of my baccalaureate experience, I learned about the essentials of nursing research, its role in evidence-based practice, and the importance of appraising evidence to provide the best nursing care. My knowledge and perspective of the nursing profession expanded as I learned about past trends and future directions in nursing research and education.

During the baccalaureate program, I learned about the nurses’ role in health promotion and prevention within the community. I learned that public health nurses are able to advocate and address complex community problems through networking with institutional/organization and government stakeholders. I always knew about acute care/medical surgical nursing, but now I know more about barriers to good health and safety within the community. Indeed, these challenges are important to consider when providing holistic, patient-centered care.

I also learned about leadership and case management roles in nursing and the concepts of quality improvement and performance management which involves all aspects of nursing care delivery.

In a nutshell, the baccalaureate program was a hugely rewarding experience in my life. It has helped me develop the skills needed for any nursing job in regards to teamwork, communication, problem-solving, professionalism, and leadership. My professors and classmates were the source of much wisdom and inspiration, and for the journey, I am forever grateful. Thank you!